Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2018) PG Darius Garland to Vandy

I read it, really not much to it.  His dad gave the interview, gave a glowing review of the visit and staff and Vandy.  But when asked about the other schools, also made a point to say Darius is from Indiana, the IU in-home visit was a really impressive one, and that actually the in-home visits are the biggest factor in recruiting.
He also named the entire IU staff by name, something he didn't do for the other schools.  Said Darius likes Indiana "a lot".
Also Duke is out.
To add, he said Darius' biggest deal will be his ability to be the lead guard.  His "dream is to be the lead guard".  There's no way that doesn't bode the best for IU.

I'm willing to give him the keys. Need to get him to buy into defense though. I love his game more than most but to me his biggest weakness was his commitment to defense. Granted, it's AAU ball but I want him locked in each possession.

Offensively, he has potential to do what he wants. Surround him with shooters and an adequate rebounder and look the heck out.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I read it, really not much to it.  His dad gave the interview, gave a glowing review of the visit and staff and Vandy.  But when asked about the other schools, also made a point to say Darius is from Indiana, the IU in-home visit was a really impressive one, and that actually the in-home visits are the biggest factor in recruiting.
He also named the entire IU staff by name, something he didn't do for the other schools.  Said Darius likes Indiana "a lot".
Also Duke is out.
To add, he said Darius' biggest deal will be his ability to be the lead guard.  His "dream is to be the lead guard".  There's no way that doesn't bode the best for IU.

This quote confuses me because I have seen people say this is his desire, yet he seems to want to play on the same team as a Romeo. So does his dad me "lead guard" as in the PG running the show?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

This quote confuses me because I have seen people say this is his desire, yet he seems to want to play on the same team as a Romeo. So does his dad me "lead guard" as in the PG running the show?

Yes. He wants to be the main 1 guard. I don't blame him. Too small to guard most 2s. Hoping Romeo wants to be the lead 2 guard. If so, and it seems so, it's a match made in heaven.

I'm willing to give him the keys. Need to get him to buy into defense though. I love his game more than most but to me his biggest weakness was his commitment to defense. Granted, it's AAU ball but I want him locked in each possession.

Offensively, he has potential to do what he wants. Surround him with shooters and an adequate rebounder and look the heck out.

Of course Garland would get the keys from day 1. A difficult noncon would prepare him for the grind of the B1G.

If we landed both I could see us contending for the B1G and a deep run. I'm not sure we'd have all the pieces for a national title due to youth though. The following season would be better though.

2 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Of course Garland would get the keys from day 1. A difficult noncon would prepare him for the grind of the B1G.

If we landed both I could see us contending for the B1G and a deep run. I'm not sure we'd have all the pieces for a national title due to youth though. The following season would be better though.

IDk about youth per se. While our starters would be young our main guy off the bench at G would be a junior. Then our front court would be experienced. 

5-star Darius Garland has good visit with Archie Miller

National top-10 prospect Darius Garland's father talks with Peegs.com about Wednesday's open gym visit from Indiana coach Archie Miller.

Don't have the "priviledges" to be able to read. Can someone cut and past it in the feed, please?

Just now, ALASKA HOOSIER said:

5-star Darius Garland has good visit with Archie Miller

National top-10 prospect Darius Garland's father talks with Peegs.com about Wednesday's open gym visit from Indiana coach Archie Miller.

Don't have the "priviledges" to be able to read. Can someone cut and past it in the feed, please?

It's not really worth noting. Just your generic "it was good" comments.

Can Vanderbilt capitalize on FBI college basketball scandal that has rocked recruiting?

Sometimes news gets in the way of a good plan, and this column was to be titled: “Vanderbilt’s Derek Mason couldn’t shock the world, but Bryce Drew just might.” Or something like that. While Mason’s Vandy football team was taking a 59-0 beating from Alabama on Saturday at Vanderbilt Stadium, Drew’s Vandy men’s basketball team was hosting three recruits who could play anywhere in the country — senior point guard Darius Garland (Brentwood Academy), senior wing Romeo Langford (New Albany, Ind.) and junior forward James Wiseman (Memphis East). This was a huge recruiting weekend for the second-year coach, including the presence of commitment Aaron Nesmith, a senior forward from Charleston, S.C., who picked Vandy over Florida and South Carolina. Garland is the key, a 6-foot-1 blur who counts Duke, Kentucky, Indiana and UCLA among those that have pursued him. He’s an elite, local talent who isn’t necessarily off to the NBA after one season because of his size, which makes him even more appealing. And folks in the recruiting world think Drew has a real chance here to beat the big boys and score one of the biggest recruiting wins in school history. “I do absolutely think there’s a real thing here,” Scout.com national recruiting analyst Brian Snow said of Vandy and Garland. “It would seem Vanderbilt is in his top two (with Indiana), and any time you’re in the top two, top three situation you’ve got a real shot. It would be huge. And a lot of times a five-star commitment is more of a perception thing for a program than a reality thing, but Darius Garland is so good and will impact Vandy so much right away, it’s also huge on the court.”