Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2018) PG Darius Garland to Vandy

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I guess we carry on this charade a little longer.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Yes, in one sense I almost wish we'd have not made the cut because it just feels like there is so much distance between us and the other 5 schools and we'll have to continue to spend a lot of recruiting effort on what I believe is a very long shot recruit.

https://indiana.rivals.com/news/five-star-point-guard-darius-garland-includes-indiana-in-top-six-schools

Five-Star Point Guard Darius Garland Includes Indiana In Top Six Schools

The Hoosiers are in the top group for a priority basketball target in the 2018 cycle.

Nashville (Tenn.) Brentwood Academy point guard Darius Garland tweeted his top six schools on Friday, which included IU, Duke, Vanderbilt, UK, Kansas and UCLA in no particular order.

Garland visited Duke unofficially this summer, and Vanderbilt is the hometown school. He has not made a trip up to Bloomington yet to visit with the new staff, although, he visited IU last year just prior to Hoosier Hysteria.

IU head coach Archie Miller and the Hoosiers have made him a priority during the July evaluation period, regularly attending his games. Miller also visited Garland just after taking the IU job.

“They came to the school a couple of weekends ago, Coach Miller for the first time,” Garland said in April. “He’s a good guy and real energetic for his school. I think he’s ready to rock and roll.”

The five-star was tabbed a fourth team All-American by Maxpreps.com after averaging 23.4 points and 3.1 rebounds per game as a junior, leading Brentwood Academy to a 30-2 overall record, Tennessee's Division II Class AA state title and a No. 10 national ranking.

He also averaged a team-high 16.8 points and 5.5 assists per game through the two spring live periods for Bradley Beal Elite on Nike's Elite Youth Basketball League Circuit, then averaged 16.8 points and 2.2 assists per contest this July at the Nike Peach Jam.

Looked through the comments on his twitter post, announcing his top 6.... it's OVERWHELMINGLY flooded by IU fans. I remember Troy Williams mentioning this type of thing influencing his decision to attend IU. These things, as silly as they seem on the surface, actually make a difference. I'm encouraged that he hasn't visited Bloomington with the new staff. If we can get an OV out of him, I will like our chances. We are definitely trending upward and he will feel it, if we can get him on campus.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I noticed the same thing and was actually a bit surprised how lopsided it was with IUBB comments and support. Like they say, in 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana.

Watching Garland on ESPNU right now, and noticed that the info banner when he was introduced said "Considering: UK, KU, Duke and Vanderbilt." No mention of IU. Think there's anything to that?

Except the typical lack of respect for IU, no. They did a piece on VO and Archie just a bit ago.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Watching Garland on ESPNU right now, and noticed that the info banner when he was introduced said "Considering: UK, KU, Duke and Vanderbilt." No mention of IU. Think there's anything to that?

I noticed this as well and it annoyed me!