Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2018) SG Romeo Langford - INDIANA HOOSIERS

15 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

IMO it’s far more likely he is waiting to see who is coming and going. Whether it’s NBA or transferring than a concern over backlash. I have never seen a player in my life in any sport wait to commit over fear of backlash. Hell, how many Mr. Basketball’s have left the state over the last 20 years? Come on guys. We are better than this. That was a cynical based theory rooted in paranoia and literally no possibility of being true. If you said waiting on transfers at Vandy or NBA declarations at Kansas then ok. It has nothing to do with this.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

The mental gymnastics are in full swing tonight. I almost feel like writing about the NIT again.

I really doubt he is waiting to see who stays or goes from Vanderbilt. Regarding their current team, and not to be offensive, but who even cares? Everyone knows a spot would be made for him on that roster in a heartbeat. The players that carry any impact are all incoming.
Kansas is a little different because they already have great players. It's a matter of which ones stay and what position they play. But even then, a spot would be made for him and everyone knows that.
Our roster falls between the two and is a picture of potential and "what if", mostly in a positive light. If he's waiting on the who-to-where factor, IU and Kansas are 1/2. I just don't know what order.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

So waste Archie’s time for months which he could have used to get a different player. That is nice. Do you think the Langfords would string him along like that?
No it is absurd and would be really exhausting I would think for them. I'd be far more worried about him choosing Kansas then holding off on a vandy verbal for six months because of backlash.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

To give the perception it was a really difficult decision. It gives Archie and IU some love that it took until the end of April to decide.

The other reason it's in April isn't so sunshine and rainbows.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

If it is the backlash reason.....MAN that family is really stringing along 2 coaching staffs and waisting a lot of their time and money.  That in my opinion would be really $hitty of them.  Not to mention the players that may have given their time to go see his games.  I really hope that is not the reason.  That would be REALLY selfish and self-serving to the max.  I do not believe this to be the case.

Edited by mookied39

8 hours ago, Iugradman said:

So waste Archie’s time for months which he could have used to get a different player. That is nice. Do you think the Langfords would string him along like that?

I would hope the Langford's would be above that.  Everything we all read is surrounded by positive comments regarding the family.  We're all just way too close to what happened with Garland and his father.  And before I'm given the death sentence again, yes, that happened and yes, it was intentional. It won't happen this time.

1 hour ago, iuswingman said:

They could have told archie their decision but asked him to keep it private. I don't think that is the case though but who knows

He still visited.  So that would have either been recent, or Miller's an idiot.  That's assuming he goes somewhere other than IU.

Gents,
I don't think it can be over-stated how positive it is for IU, that RL is planning on announcing locally rather than at Atlanta.  I can't help but feel some folk with their short attention spans allow their emotions to be whip-sawed around based upon the latest nugget of rumor/innuendo/connect-the-dots, etc.
In addition,  I learned about a week ago from someone intimately involved in the local AAU scene that his contacts were telling him it was IU and went so far as to suggest "don't worry about having false hopes dashed."   Do I personally know RL is heading to IU?  No.  However, based upon what I've read and been told,  I feel pretty confident.

McHoop

Great post mchoop!

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

39 minutes ago, McHoop said:

Gents,

I don't think it can be over-stated how positive it is for IU, that RL is planning on announcing locally rather than at Atlanta.  I can't help but feel some folk with their short attention spans allow their emotions to be whip-sawed around based upon the latest nugget of rumor/innuendo/connect-the-dots, etc.

In addition,  I learned about a week ago from someone intimately involved in the local AAU scene that his contacts were telling him it was IU and went so far as to suggest "don't worry about having false hopes dashed."   Do I personally know RL is heading to IU?  No.  However, based upon what I've read and been told,  I feel pretty confident.

McHoop

Please post more often

Deshaun Thomas - Freshman in High School
Gary Harris - November
Zak Irvin - July 31st
Trey Lyles - November 5th
Kyle Guy - October 20th
Kris Wilkes - November 13th

All those players were Mr. Indiana. They all left the state for college ball. All announced before or during their senior season. I don't know if they received any backlash, but i don't remember hearing about it. Was i disappointed when they didn't chose us, yes. But after about 5 minutes of wondering why, my concentration went to worrying about the class we had coming in and players staying. It wasn't spent on bashing the player for choosing what he thought was best for him and his future. I think most reasonable and understanding fans think that way. And i think the Langford's think that way. I do not believe that worrying about backlash has anything to do with his decision date. 

*Disclaimer - contrary to popular belief, i have been wrong before and most likely will be wrong again at some point...though not very often*

Yeah I think people tend to forget it’s not IU when Recker committed. It’s 20 years after the fact. This backlash that a few have talked into existence is a fabrication of their own cynicism. We may get back there, but it’s not there and the people stating this know this. In one convo they complain about IU’s stature with kids and the bad hires, etc., etc. Then in the next convo they say there will be backlash? If the kids don’t care about IU like they used to or are apathetic towards IU, what backlash? It just comes down to people wanting this kid here and looking for every reason to justify a kid not wanting to come to a school they are a fan of, even if not logical.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

If it is the backlash reason.....MAN that family is really stringing along 2 coaching staffs and waisting a lot of their time and money.  That in my opinion would be really $hitty of them.  Not to mention the players that may have given their time to go see his games.  I really hope that is not the reason.  That would be REALLY selfish and self-serving to the max.  I do not believe this to be the case.
Anything to fit the narrative is why the hogwash became the reason for him not to come to IU

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, JSHoosier said:

He still visited.  So that would have either been recent, or Miller's an idiot.  That's assuming he goes somewhere other than IU.

If Romeo has chosen another school, then it would still probably be smart for Miller to visit.

1) It's not 100% over til the fat lady sings and something is signed

2) Miller wouldn't want it to took look like him giving up was the reason he lost out on Romeo.   Nothing worse than public perception turning against you so if visiting a few times and putting on the fullcourt press til the end brings nothing but fans understanding that he gave it his best shot, then he'd probably consider it a visit well worth it.

I don't believe Romeo has decided on Vandy but there are reasons for Miller to keep trying even if he knew it was a long shot.

20 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

If Romeo has chosen another school, then it would still probably be smart for Miller to visit.

1) It's not 100% over til the fat lady sings and something is signed

2) Miller wouldn't want it to took look like him giving up was the reason he lost out on Romeo.   Nothing worse than public perception turning against you so if visiting a few times and putting on the fullcourt press til the end brings nothing but fans understanding that he gave it his best shot, then he'd probably consider it a visit well worth it.

I don't believe Romeo has decided on Vandy but there are reasons for Miller to keep trying even if he knew it was a long shot.

Some of this is ridiculous (not your post, iuwingman, but the premise that he has decided on Vandy and is still visiting IU).  If he decided on Vandy, he wouldn't give IU last look.  Logic, people.

I see some have talked themselves back into the "Romeo doesn't want booed" is why he hasn't announced yet. Romeo isn't scared of letting anyone down but himself or family. Last week I was told the one thing that's became crystal clear was, Romeo doesn't want to call Archie or Drew and tell them no. That doesnt mean Kansas is out of it, but he knows how important he is to either school. 

I've begun to worry about Kansas a little more recently not off anything I was told, but my gut feeling of a team besides IU getting him was Vandy but not it's mixed. I still believe we have a shot and Romeo may be at a decision now but only because that was the plan. Up to 2 weeks of knowing his decision and sitting on it has been the word for a long time, so maybe he does but it doesn't sound like it. Was told Tim Langford already feels bad enough for these schools for having to wait as long as they have and making them wait an extra week maybe longer. His words not mine either. I believe Garland used our visit to help his case with Romeo and I know Wilkes made a last minute visit to tell Crean personally but Romeo has a different feel than Wilkes. Idk I could be massively wrong but even then it's hard for me to see Romeo being worried about anything but state and his next team. He's heard boos before.