Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2018) SG Romeo Langford - INDIANA HOOSIERS

10+

None of those teams are of the caliber of Duke or Villanova (and I suppose even Kansas). Michigan is close because they are peaking. Cincy may have been close, but Loyola played a Kansas St team who just happened to beat them a week ago. It doesn't translate to beating Cincinnati.

I root for the underdog as much as anyone else. But, and I hate saying it, they just don't have the horses.

If they make me eat crow I'll gladly take a heaping serving of it with more crow on the side. And you can plaster my post all over this thread .

On a side note, I would love to see Kansas get crushed tomorrow with a terrible lack of coaching from Bill himSelf. I think they are number three in the race for Romeo, but they're still our competitors. And they should fail.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I might be one of the only ones who agrees with you here but it’s completely valid. As much as I love the underdog and a team from Chicago making a run, Id like to see a competitive championship game. Bagley will have a double double before halftime against LUC’s 6’9” center. Or there’s no way Cluster will be able to prevent Brunson from scoring 30. Just not happening. Cincy, KState, UK, Tennessee don’t even compare to Duke, Kansas, or Nova. I’ll be happy to be wrong though.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

16 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Except they completely misrepresent the 247 expert rankings model that rewards picks the longer they’ve been held. I get everyone likes to take swipes at the recruiting experts, but 1) they’re just a bunch of college hoops junkies like everyone here who found a way to get paid for their addiction and 2) they do usually have way more information than the general population

Sounds like this guy has been reading the board and translating it to articles haha.

If they had any real information it would be out in the public.  I think that is fairly obvious.  I don't have an issue with how they make their money.  It's a really good hustle actually.  But if you are going to hold yourself out as an "expert", you better expect to have that questioned. Whether or not there is a model is irrelevant.  No one cares how they internally rank themselves after the fact.  Everyone just looks at their predictions on unsigned recruits, which is a hodgepodge of long held predictions and last second changes.

If they had any real information it would be out in the public.  I think that is fairly obvious.  I don't have an issue with how they make their money.  It's a really good hustle actually.  But if you are going to hold yourself out as an "expert", you better expect to have that questioned. Whether or not there is a model is irrelevant.  No one cares how they internally rank themselves after the fact.  Everyone just looks at their predictions on unsigned recruits, which is a hodgepodge of long held predictions and last second changes.

Ah so you wrote the article. Do you understand the ranking model over at 247? Because based on your article and your above comment, it doesn’t appear that you do. The Crystal Ball even locks up some period of time prior to a recruits announcement if that information is public. Expert rankings are impacted by incorrect picks as well. It’s a pretty solid ranking model.

On your point about information being public, there is a lot of public information on Twitter. These guys have a reputation that they have to uphold. Thus, they can help act as a filter for what information is valid and what is not. They have relationships that they can use to privately vet this information.

Additionally, we being Indiana fans probably have a lot of information about Indiana recruiting. We lack a lot of information due to interest, proximity, and resources to understand recruitments elsewhere.

30 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Ah so you wrote the article. Do you understand the ranking model over at 247? Because based on your article and your above comment, it doesn’t appear that you do. The Crystal Ball even locks up some period of time prior to a recruits announcement if that information is public. Expert rankings are impacted by incorrect picks as well. It’s a pretty solid ranking model.

On your point about information being public, there is a lot of public information on Twitter. These guys have a reputation that they have to uphold. Thus, they can help act as a filter for what information is valid and what is not. They have relationships that they can use to privately vet this information.

Additionally, we being Indiana fans probably have a lot of information about Indiana recruiting. We lack a lot of information due to interest, proximity, and resources to understand recruitments elsewhere.

Look at Romeo's prediction history and tell me all about how solid it is.  It's a bunch of guys guessing based on the limited information that is already out in the public.

Look at Romeo's prediction history and tell me all about how solid it is.  It's a bunch of guys guessing based on the limited information that is already out in the public.

Dude, it was a funny article with half truths. There were also some items in there that have made me feel it is IU for a while for different reasons. When Romeo makes his last visit it will be interesting to see what he does on it. Will it be like Cody going through KSB? I doubt too Romeo is just coming up to visit the coaches and say hey. There is a reason and purpose.

As for the 247 guys, I can speak on some of them because we used to work with some of them. Some know absolutely very little. Some know the football recruiting side more than basketball. Some know basketball more. Either side can vote on either so you as a fan must be knowledgeable enough to know the voter. The ones that know more on the basketball side are in with AAU coaches and gather a lot of their info from that scene. There is information there that isn’t public. The problem also is if they are making money off of that model they are holding back and stretching info out over days. It’s been that way since you were in elementary. To completely disregard it is not accurate. Same as to completely fall into their trap of buying information.

Don't know why we're talking about University 6 right now. The real question is who do I root for tomorrow, Duke or Kansas?
My heart says Kansas because....well...F Duke, but my brain says Duke because I don't want Kansas becoming any more attractive to Romeo.
WHAT DO I DO GUYS???
Can they both lose.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, mdn82 said:

Dude, it was a funny article with half truths. There were also some items in there that have made me feel it is IU for a while for different reasons. When Romeo makes his last visit it will be interesting to see what he does on it. Will it be like Cody going through KSB? I doubt too Romeo is just coming up to visit the coaches and say hey. There is a reason and purpose.

As for the 247 guys, I can speak on some of them because we used to work with some of them. Some know absolutely very little. Some know the football recruiting side more than basketball. Some know basketball more. Either side can vote on either so you as a fan must be knowledgeable enough to know the voter. The ones that know more on the basketball side are in with AAU coaches and gather a lot of their info from that scene. There is information there that isn’t public. The problem also is if they are making money off of that model they are holding back and stretching info out over days. It’s been that way since you were in elementary. To completely disregard it is not accurate. Same as to completely fall into their trap of buying information.

I don't completely disregard it.  I said it was right up there with horoscopes.  Ok, that was tongue in cheek, but my main issue is with the self proclaimed "expert" label.  I'm sure there is some occasional inside information, but being an expert suggests that you have really deep insights that others don't have.  A lot of recruiting predictions are fairly easy.  When it comes to the hard cases like Romeo, it quickly becomes clear that we aren't dealing with experts here.

Romeo is one individual recruit... small sample size to make large generalizations about a population and entire platform. Good luck with your site! As you said about the recruiting experts, if you’re gonna put yourself out there, expect someone to question it!

I don't completely disregard it.  I said it was right up there with horoscopes.  Ok, that was tongue in cheek, but my main issue is with the self proclaimed "expert" label.  I'm sure there is some occasional inside information, but being an expert suggests that you have really deep insights that others don't have.  A lot of recruiting predictions are fairly easy.  When it comes to the hard cases like Romeo, it quickly becomes clear that we aren't dealing with experts here.

An individual case does not discredit one from being an expert if that is the case you are trying to make. I think the expert label is a bit much. Informed is probably a better one. They have relationships with more people than the average person. Most of their insights are interpretations of the information they receive. That isn’t an expert, but informed. Being cynical of that is up to you, but completely disregarding that is misinformed and shows you haven’t followed it long at all.

1 hour ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Romeo is one individual recruit... small sample size to make large generalizations about a population and entire platform. Good luck with your site! As you said about the recruiting experts, if you’re gonna put yourself out there, expect someone to question it!

I was using Romeo as an example.  One of many that shows when they choose to keep things close to the vest, the "experts" really don't know much. 

I don't mind being  challenged at all.  It helps me think more critically about things.

25 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

An individual case does not discredit one from being an expert if that is the case you are trying to make. I think the expert label is a bit much. Informed is probably a better one. They have relationships with more people than the average person. Most of their insights are interpretations of the information they receive. That isn’t an expert, but informed. Being cynical of that is up to you, but completely disregarding that is misinformed and shows you haven’t followed it long at all.

I think "Recruiting Analyst" would be a much more appropriate label IMO.  I'm not disregarding them, I just expect much more from an expert.

I think "Recruiting Analyst" would be a much more appropriate label IMO.  I'm not disregarding them, I just expect much more from an expert.

I don’t know who calls them an expert so fair enough. As it pertains to Romeo I think you have to view it from a lense of what is actually happening and not hearsay. As not much is being said. Imagine that will pick up here over the next week starting with the burger boy game.

I was using Romeo as an example.  One of many that shows when they choose to keep things close to the vest, the "experts" really don't know much. 
I don't mind being  challenged at all.  It helps me think more critically about things.

Id argue that there are far more examples where they are accurate and knowledgeable, but people like you and many on the board only look for their failures. I bet if you talk to any of the people at 247 they’ll all openly admit that they don’t know about Romeo and this is just their best guess.

On your issue with expert - that’s just a marketing term. Want to call them analysts? What are they even analyzing it’s all just publicly knowledge, right? Point is, it’s just a label, and I’d take the consensus at 247 over almost anyone else’s single opinion any day.

48 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Id argue that there are far more examples where they are accurate and knowledgeable, but people like you and many on the board only look for their failures. I bet if you talk to any of the people at 247 they’ll all openly admit that they don’t know about Romeo and this is just their best guess.

On your issue with expert - that’s just a marketing term. Want to call them analysts? What are they even analyzing it’s all just publicly knowledge, right? Point is, it’s just a label, and I’d take the consensus at 247 over almost anyone else’s single opinion any day.

Expert is definitely a misnomer. They aren't any better than "expert" bracket pickers.

They have a hell of a lot more knowledge of the situation than most people, but they are damn little more accurate.

Expert is definitely a misnomer. They aren't any better than "expert" bracket pickers.
They have a hell of a lot more knowledge of the situation than most people, but they are damn little more accurate.

I mean, once BTB Picker gets going, you can see how the mostly uninformed compare. Once again, I think anyone casting stones at the recruiting experts/analysts/forecasters/fortune tellers are doing an awful lot of talk without any evidence that the general population could compete with them.

Kansas to the Final Four gives them a shiny new object to try to lure Romeo with—here’s to hoping he wants to stay closer to home and lead IU back to greatness—and our own Final Four!

Duke should of won that game.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

I mean, once BTB Picker gets going, you can see how the mostly uninformed compare. Once again, I think anyone casting stones at the recruiting experts/analysts/forecasters/fortune tellers are doing an awful lot of talk without any evidence that the general population could compete with them.

I imagine it'll look fairly mirrored. 

Kansas to the Final Four gives them a shiny new object to try to lure Romeo with—here’s to hoping he wants to stay closer to home and lead IU back to greatness—and our own Final Four!

And hopefully he'll realize that Bill has no new angles to sell him, because I'm sure they've driven the deep tournament runs and championship aspirations into the ground from day one.