Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2018) SG Romeo Langford - INDIANA HOOSIERS

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

If and when Archie/Staff pull this off it will be remembered forever from a recruiting standpoint. Truly remarkable to have a chance at a class like this. The Future will be glowing bright.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

The momentum will be insane if we land both of these guys. We will likely end with the #1 or #2 recruiting class, in the nation, in Archie's first recruiting cycle. A recruiting cycle that he got a late start on. We are going to have 2018 5* kids that want to come to IU and won't be able to bc others jumped first. 

I don't want everyone jumping down my throat because my comments aren't meant to be derogatory or doubting in any way.  Let's assume we get both Garland & Langford.  This would be a recruiting class that Archie could never have dreamed of while at Dayton.   On paper, the talent level is astronomical and by being so, it really puts the burden on Archie to demonstrate that he can successfully coach that level of talent and mesh it into a very powerful team.  If he succeeds, the sky's the limit for IU basketball.

And purely as a side note, I find myself jumping from Garland to Langford to Garland to Langford ad nauseum.  Maybe we could merge the comments into a single Langland or Garford thread?  Just a thought.

6 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I don't want everyone jumping down my throat because my comments aren't meant to be derogatory or doubting in any way.  Let's assume we get both Garland & Langford.  This would be a recruiting class that Archie could never have dreamed of while at Dayton.   On paper, the talent level is astronomical and by being so, it really puts the burden on Archie to demonstrate that he can successfully coach that level of talent and mesh it into a very powerful team.  If he succeeds, the sky's the limit for IU basketball.

And purely as a side note, I find myself jumping from Garland to Langford to Garland to Langford ad nauseum.  Maybe we could merge the comments into a single Langland or Garford thread?  Just a thought.

I think there will be too much talent not to succeed. Obviously it will be Final Four expectations so I get what you're saying. 

Side note I agree about the threads being merged unless one commits very soon.

Seriously!! Specially since it will likely be the early signing period which will give Archie the top recruiting class before his 1st or 2nd game at IU depending on when they announce. Just flat out crazy. Schools nation wide will take notice and give IU a lot of momentum to build the 19 class with. It is actually unbelivable. Dayton is a great school but c'mon. If he came from a power 5 then it'd still be amazing but man. 

Agree it will also put the whole basketball community on notice not just the schools. A lot of these people that work for these recruiting services have a hard time taking IU seriously in recruiting battles with other power houses. This would change that real quick and show the community that with the right coach IU the brand is still a high profile destination that needs to be taken seriously moving forward. Most of them working in the media are probably in the 20’s to early 30’s so I can’t can’t really blame them for not taken IU seriously. IU finished 9th in overall attendance last year with a 18-16 underachieving team. What happens when CAM gets it rolling. Hopefully we have our 5 star coach for many years to come

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I think there will be too much talent not to succeed. Obviously it will be Final Four expectations so I get what you're saying. 
Side note I agree about the threads being merged unless one commits very soon.

My expectations won't be final four. The talent would be there at the guard spots but young. The front court would still have a lot of questions to me.

Potential final four, sure.

Expected final four, not for me.

UK, Duke, Kansas put these classes together every year. They don't always perform to their capabilities.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

My expectations won't be final four. The talent would be there at the guard spots but young. The front court would still have a lot of questions to me.

Potential final four, sure.

Expected final four, not for me.

UK, Duke, Kansas put these classes together every year. They don't always perform to their capabilities.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

There will be some pretty talented upperclasmen to be a stabilizing influence at least. 

48 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

Land the top talent in the state and we will have great classes year after year.

Yep. You don't always have to go far from home. The 1991-92 Final Four team had nine players from Indiana, three from Illinois and one from Michigan. And the Michigan kid (Lindeman) was a freshman who played about seven minutes a game. 

10 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Yep. You don't always have to go far from home. The 1991-92 Final Four team had nine players from Indiana, three from Illinois and one from Michigan. And the Michigan kid (Lindeman) was a freshman who played about seven minutes a game. 

That's why I like the fact Archie hasn't really left Big Ten territory. Garland kind of but kid has Indiana ties. 

As much as I like Davis, do we really need to recruit in Colorado? I told someone 2 years ago that we landed the Mr. Basketball front runner in Colorado and he laughed and said "They don't even play basketball in Colorado." Lol.

I like Archie staying local.

Go back and look at the big men class in Indiana and the Midwest in 2016. It wasn't strong. So yes, it was good that Crean went to Colorado in that particular situation.

2 minutes ago, goonaha said:

Go back and look at the big men class in Indiana and the Midwest in 2016. It wasn't strong. So yes, it was good that Crean went to Colorado in that particular situation.

Yeah, I think you want the best players who fit your scheme and culture. The state of Indiana produces a ton of talent, and there are obvious secondary benefits to recruiting close to home.

You have to supplement from elsewhere, whether because the in-state talent sometimes produces knuckleheads or, as in this example, it doesn’t meet your needs.

14 hours ago, Maedhros said:

Matt Scott, the Kansas writer who picked Romeo to Kansas shortly after Jerry Meyer did, had now changed his pick to "foggy". Scott is the guy Jerry told someone on Twitter to follow for news on Romeo's visit. This would seem to support the idea Romeo has cooled on Kansas.

14 hours ago, Me So Hornsby said:

Kansas 247 writer changed his CB for Romeo to foggy, I believe he had him to KU before that.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

A day later and I’m still dying laughing at this turn of events

14 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

On paper, the talent level is astronomical and by being so, it really puts the burden on Archie to demonstrate that he can successfully coach that level of talent and mesh it into a very powerful team.  If he succeeds, the sky's the limit for IU basketball.

Archie had to know that accepting the "burden" to develop a powerful team  was a prerequisite of taking the job.  He knows that everyone is expecting a way overdue 6th banner at some point in his tenure.