Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2019) SF Keion Brooks Jr. to Kentucky

On 2/24/2019 at 9:48 AM, Demo said:

Was just watching video from the LaLumiere-Montverde game from January. Was watching for Beverly. But there was a play in the game where Precious Achiuwa commits a pretty cheap takedown of a Lalu kid. Brooks got right in Achiuwa’s face. Didn’t backdown at all. And Achiuwa is a grown man. Hadn’t pegged Brooks for that kind of kid. Impressive. 

That’s just a little bit of the Fort coming out! Bring it!

I think this is gonna be interesting.  What's your interpretation y'all?

Keion Brooks‏ @keion_brooks 

If your coach don’t teach individual skills development he/she is not preparing you for the next level. Thought someone needed to hear that.

8 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

If your coach don’t teach individual skills development he/she is not preparing you for the next level. Thought someone needed to hear that.

Is that a shot at Calipari? Izzo? Archie? Who knows. I still think he goes to IU

I take it as a shot at Archie. Romeo has a rough game. Timing on that statement makes me think so.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Free Jake!!

Also, while Romeo has improved maybe a little bit in each area of his offensive game except three point shooting, his defense has been absolutely phenomenal. I know that was one of his perceived weaknesses going into this season, and Dakich and other commentators raves about his effort, which I contribute to Archie and the rest of the staff

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I take it as a shot at Archie. Romeo has a rough game. Timing on that statement makes me think so.

Free Jake!!

It could be, but it would be weird to take a shot at the one coach whose team won today. Archie is also coaching the team with the least talent.

Romeo's inability to get to the basket against McQuaid should not be an indictment of Archie. Yes, Romeo needs some personal skill development, but not on the finer points of basketball. He needs to improve the basic skills of dribbling and shooting. These are things Romeo should be doing on his own. And I'm sure he is and that he will improve. But there are individual improvents I think a coach should be responsible for, and some that just fall on the shoulders of players. Most of Romeo's offensive issues can be fixed with more reps. I would love to see them tweak his shot too - not bring the ball back so far, which would simplify everything - but I'm not sure that's something he wants to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. Isn’t that Ed Schilling’s mantra? I’ll admit, I haven’t been overly impressed with the individual development of many of our guys, but who knows if that’s about any of IU, UK, or MSU. These families are so engrossed in basketball that it could be about something totally unrelated.

Just now, DLG3 said:

Interesting. Isn’t that Ed Schilling’s mantra? I’ll admit, I haven’t been overly impressed with the individual development of many of our guys, but who knows if that’s about any of IU, UK, or MSU. These families are so engrossed in basketball that it could be about something totally unrelated.

Bingo - seems like he’s reminding his dad of what his dad said Coach Shilling did for his dad.

While watching puke at Tenn., I thought about how highly regarded Nick Richards was coming out of high school but hasn’t lived up to it at puke. There are a few others that haven’t developed and have been recruited over. If Keion ends up there I hope he shines for his year or two and is gone.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Calipari is one of if not the best coaches in terms of getting kids ready to play at the next level.  Sometimes that takes a year; sometimes it takes 2 or 3, but he's great at it. If that's solely what a player wants in a college experience; that's where he should go.   

I don't believe it's Archie Miller's job at Indiana to take kids one year at a time and get them ready to play in the NBA, which for me opens up the same question : what's best for Indiana?   As many one and done's as we can get, or very few of them?   Seth Greenberg said - and I agree - it's hard to have just a single one and done kid because his agenda is different from the rest of the team.  As much as I wanted Romeo; that made a lot of sense.

Skill development isn't generally done during the season anyway.  Kids don't develop a left hand or become much better shooters in-season.  They can improve footwork, get stronger, etc. But skill development is generally done in the off season; so who knows what Keion's tweet was about?  Romeo has a great right hand.  He has a mediocre jump shot and a weak left hand.  It would be VERY difficult to fix those problems during one season at Indiana and it would be very hard to fix those problems in one season at Kentucky or anywhere else.

Calipari gets kids ready mentally and certainly from a conditioning perspective; but like most young players, UK kids take a year or two to develop in the NBA while they work on whatever skills they need to.

Point?  If Keion's tweet was directed at Archie, I think he's off base and wrong.  If Romeo were going to be at IU for 2-3 seasons and didn't develop skills; that's a different question, but Archie, like every coach in-season is trying to win games and spending far more time with team stuff and system things than he is individual development.

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

He does not get those kids ready. Most of them end up on the bench in the pros and every single one of them was NBA bound anyway

Seriously? Most of them on the bench? AD, Booker, KAT, Wall, etc. He is excellent at getting guys prepared for the NBA. If he wasn't top recruits wouldnt flock there every year. It would be hard to tell a kid to pass up an opportunity like that. Especially to go play for a coach who has never had a single player drafted in the NBA and hasn't help Romeo at all IMO.