Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

hmhernan

Column: IU continues to grow against Michigan

Fantastic article! This team just has something special about them. For us as fans, this was huge because most started predicting the normal February downfall. Loved watching this team, and who thought we would see Priller playing in a Big10 game on the road? Love it!

Fantastic article Hutch! This team just has something special about them. For us as fans, this was huge because most started predicting the normal February downfall. Loved watching this team, and who thought we would see Priller playing in a Big10 game on the road? Love it!

Not Hutch. Oh my gosh Jay, how many times do we have to tell you to learn to read?

I think this is one way IU has grown over the course of this season. Earlier on, once things started to fall apart, it was hard for IU to get back on track. We saw it in Maui, we saw it at Duke and we almost saw it at home against Minnesota.

But lately, IU has shown it’s able to adapt and make changes during in-game situations, and it has proved to work well.

You nailed it right here. This is the biggest change we've seen since those loses. This team is tough, when they get behind on the road, they aren't just going to pack it in and decide they've lost the game. Crean is willing to call a needed timeout, use the timeout to make adjustments, and the team responds to the adjustments and improves. I don't think we've ever seen this before in the Crean era and the change is dramatic. Even the Oladipo years, trailing by 11 at Michigan and being just trounced in those first 5 minutes would have set the tone for the rest of the game. These guys are saying they get to set the tone no matter what and it makes all the difference.

Not Hutch. Oh my gosh Jay, how many times do we have to tell you to learn to read?

You nailed it right here. This is the biggest change we've seen since those loses. This team is tough, when they get behind on the road, they aren't just going to pack it in and decide they've lost the game. Crean is willing to call a needed timeout, use the timeout to make adjustments, and the team responds to the adjustments and improves. I don't think we've ever seen this before in the Crean era and the change is dramatic. Even the Oladipo years, trailing by 11 at Michigan and being just trounced in those first 5 minutes would have set the tone for the rest of the game. These guys are saying they get to set the tone no matter what and it makes all the difference.

Haha, I'm at work, I'm excused :) read Hutch's first then this one.

Coach got a little cute with defense earlier on. It probably had a lot to do with TB learning as well but there was far too many times where Indiana would switch between defenses. I love how Indiana is playing pretty much man to man now. Last year he didn't have the personnel to do that which forced them to play that dreaded zone. It also helps that OG and JM can defend mutliple positions. I do think the main factor in the improved D is Yogi. Earlier on the year I was really critical of him. He was getting beat left and right and seemed to only care about offense. His improved D has really brought him to a different level these days.

Fantastic article! This team just has something special about them. For us as fans, this was huge because most started predicting the normal February downfall. Loved watching this team, and who thought we would see Priller playing in a Big10 game on the road? Love it!

Thanks for reading!! After the OT loss at Wisconsin, I'm glad this team was able to get back on the road and start off February with a win like this.

Thank you for reading! I think the timeouts have been huge. It's not something Crean typically did much in the past, and I've heard him mention Yogi has taken the lead in huddles, too. The whole team is showing they can make improvements, and that they WANT to make improvements. With new guys like OG, Max Bielfeldt, and Juwan Morgan making some impact, that new energy has been huge for them. 

I think this is the best coaching we've seen from Crean since he's been here.

He certainly has made a lot of change and improvements this year, and I think this team is one that really wants to grow, learn and continue to improve. It's not the same situation when they make mistakes anymore. Now, Crean takes them out of the game pretty quickly and you'll see Crean or someone else jumping on them right away to fix the problem. It's hard for a coach to teach guys who don't have any desire to learn. Thankfully, this team doesn't seem to have this problem, they all look pretty coachable. 

Good read & I think finally they understand defense can make them a contender ! Hoosiers !!!

Thanks for reading. Although this season was a little bit of a rough start, I agree with you- I think they are definitely on the right track. 

Defense! If he can continue to concentrate on the basic fundamentals, we will shine

On a team with this much dominance offensively, it's nice to see they haven't gotten selfish. I agree, defense and fundamental improvements have been crucial so far.  

Coach got a little cute with defense earlier on. It probably had a lot to do with TB learning as well but there was far too many times where Indiana would switch between defenses. I love how Indiana is playing pretty much man to man now. Last year he didn't have the personnel to do that which forced them to play that dreaded zone. It also helps that OG and JM can defend mutliple positions. I do think the main factor in the improved D is Yogi. Earlier on the year I was really critical of him. He was getting beat left and right and seemed to only care about offense. His improved D has really brought him to a different level these days.

He still has a lot to learn, but I think Bryant has come a long way since beginning his freshman year. They all have. Part of that comes from the leadership with Yogi and guys taking responsibility. I really like that OG and Juwan Morgan are getting deserved time because they have proven they know how to defend. 

And that's why we are seeing Williams fade or be wildly inconsistent. He doesn't seem humble enough to be great from my couch . He's still running on athleticism.. as a junior..

To be honest, Williams needs to take notes from OG

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thanks for reading!! After the OT loss at Wisconsin, I'm glad this team was able to get back on the road and start off February with a win like this.

Exactly.  This was a very important victory for this team in more ways than just a W.  These guys needed this type of performance, and will be a big confidence boost.