Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2017) WR Joshua Johnson to Iowa State

Would love to keep him but you can't keep your hopes up with early commitments. It's just how the game works. The team gets the momentum and positive rankings from the early commit, the player has an offer he can leverage and get attention with.

The bottom line, it's nice to see our coaching staff's eye for talent validated by a big time program like Notre Dame. We got a late start to the 2016 class last year. With a solid coaching staff and CKW locked up long-term, we are already starting to see the benefits with early commits. It's only going to get better from here... Buckle up for a wild ride we are sure to gain and lose a few recruits as the year progresses!

‏@ArRecruitingGuy: 2017 Spotlight: CAC WR Josh Johnson: Central Arkansas Christian receiver Josh Johnson is the ninth top in-stat... http://bit.ly/1QBc9sp 

He plans to visit Indiana on March 5-7.

Johnson, 6-0, 170, 4.54 is an Indiana commitment with other scholarship offers from Notre Dame, Kansas State, Illinois, Oklahoma State, Vanderbilt, North Carolina State and others. Arkansas, UCLA and others are showing interest.

Johnson recorded 79 receptions for 1,236 yards and 7 touchdowns this past season.

Eh, we're loaded at WR, and he was our lowest ranked commit thus far.

I feel crazy saying this, but I think Indiana can do better. We are a football school after all!

We will be fine without him but he's pretty good and probably better than that ranking (which isn't that low to begin with). Recently picked up an offer from Notre Dame and a lot of SEC schools getting involved

Eh, we're loaded at WR, and he was our lowest ranked commit thus far.

I feel crazy saying this, but I think Indiana can do better. We are a football school after all!

Oh his ranking will go up, but there is something to be said about the prestige of our other commits. All highly thought of.

This is just part of the deal. Bama has decommits every year.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him de-commit again before its all said and done. The kid is a good receiver who's stock is going to go up. He's going to continue to get good offers. It's extremely early to hold your breath about any commit. For both the player and the team, it's all about posturing.

Kind of disappointing because he really seemed to hit it off with Simmie and some of the other players. However, we are stacked at WR. He probably saw that on his most recent visit. We have incredible talent even at the bottom of our depth chart at the position. With JJ the best.

This is why CKW and crew don't typically like to rely on early commitments. 

Iowa State is a bit curious, I was expecting him to leave for somewhere down south, but Matt Campbell is a  good young coach, hes an energetic recruiter and runs an offense similar to ours, although he has not proven it in a P5 conference yet, apparently he got Johnson to buy in. 

I'm never happy about losing a recruit, but with our depth at WR this doesn't concern me all too much.