Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

Former IU player arrested (again)

The pattern. They've missed on every hire for 16 years and haven't recovered from hiring Mike Davis or bowing down to Herbert and Jesse Jackson in hiring Sampson. The pattern of failure in recruiting and coaching hires is now approaching a fifth of a century, and it's time to turn it around. Bassett was just another fool brought in here by another coach. The current coach has recruited his share of fools, too.

Every coach recruits their share of fools. Sampson recruited more than a normal coach. Knight had plenty. I just don't get how we get from this story to your post? A player that hasn't been here in about 10 years getting arrested to this. When Todd Leary was arrested for scheming millions did we have the same level of outrage? Should Indiana University have done more to prevent that failure as well? Or is this just a post-Knight thing where this is something that you feel is easier to pin it on the administration? I am not trying to be a jerk. I am truly trying to understand where you are coming from, because it doesn't make any sense to me.

"We're here to support those players, and the coach, and this team. So, we're Indiana. They are Indiana."

Guess which delusional fan came up with this quote this week?

That's just the problem. Emmit Holt?  Nice enough kid.  He is not "Indiana."  Stanford Robinson.  Ugh.  Peter Jurkin.  Jeremy Hollowell.  Marco Killingsworth.  Armon Basset.  Joey Shaw.  Xavier Keeling.  Deandre Thomas.  Jamarcus Ellis.  Max Hoelzel.  Jeremiah April.  Jessean Gray-Ashley.  Ben Allen.  Bawa Muniru.  Guy-Marc Michele. Hanner Perea.  The list goes on and on.  Those kids are not "Indiana."  And we need to stop the pattern of recruiting kids who don't understand.   We need to teach the fans who think wearing the uniform is all that matters here and that any kid who puts on the jersey is automatically "in."  It's not.  He's not.   Players were smoking pot in the locker room when Sampson was let go.  Kids for the last two years have been getting arrested at an alarming rate.  We're losing our DNA, and it sucks.  Basset was just one in a long line, but he's part of the pattern.

I'm not about to relent and go with the crowd that says Indiana is no longer special.  It IS.  But the coach has to teach, administer, live, and demand that culture.  I don't know if Green or any of the incoming freshmen know why Indiana's special.  I think Gelon gets it, based on some of what he said, but I've never met the kid.  I don't know for sure.   But the pattern has to stop.  

The funny thing?   You know who I think DOES get it?  Priller.

Every coach recruits their share of fools. Sampson recruited more than a normal coach. Knight had plenty. I just don't get how we get from this story to your post? A player that hasn't been here in about 10 years getting arrested to this. When Todd Leary was arrested for scheming millions did we have the same level of outrage? Should Indiana University have done more to prevent that failure as well? Or is this just a post-Knight thing where this is something that you feel is easier to pin it on the administration? I am not trying to be a jerk. I am truly trying to understand where you are coming from, because it doesn't make any sense to me.

How many players were arrested while Knight was the coach?  (I know the answer is more than zero, but the point is a ratio) How many legal issues per capita since?  How many former Knight players have been arrested since he was coach?  (Todd Jadlow!  I know not everyone's perfect, and Knight was certainly not)    Apples and oranges.   You don't have to agree with me and I know you see things differently than I do.   You don't have to keep chasing me.  The simple truth is we have not hired a coach who understands where he is since Knight was fired, and the cultural decay of the program has resulted.  Bassett was smoking pot in the locker room while he was here.  His arrest was predictable.  He's a bad seed.  Knight generally did not recruit bad seeds.  Some....Jim Roberson and as it happens, Leary among a few others.  But Leary was in his late 30's when he had his problems.  Basset had problems while he was at IU.  He simply bottomed out later.

Indiana's coaches have generally not done their homework on kids for 16 years.  The pattern is obvious to me, and I'm fine if it's not to you.  We've had coaches who assemble groups of players rather than build teams.  We've had coaches who focus on players who need the ball and we've been devoid of kids who will do the dirty work or will work to make others better.   We've lost the culture of "we over me."  And we've recruited WAY too many knuckleheads.  Killingsworth was a knuckelhead.  So was DeAndre Thomas.  So was Jamarcus Ellis.  They didn't have big legal issues as far as I know, but that doesn't make them any less toxic.  

I'm not asking anyone to agree with me, but I'm sick and tired of Indiana's players being in the news for the wrong reasons all while we have a team mired in mediocrity with players from all over the place.  That is not "Indiana," or at least any "Indiana" I grew up loving.

I see all these people in this thread talking about how this arrest is of a pattern with our current issues, and I have the exact opposite reaction. To me, this puts our more recent off-court issues into perspective. Underage drinking, smoking pot etc are dumb college kid stuff. What Bassett did is something else entirely, and to try and conflate them in any way is completely myopic.

I certainly agree that we need to do a better job of recruiting high-character kids, but I'd take Emmitt Holt's character any day of the week over Sherron Wilkerson (who played for and was recruited by Knight.)

And while we're on the subject, I'd love to see a Venn diagram of the fans who say we need to recruit kids who "get it," and the fans who would be happy with Steve Alford as HC because he played for Knight and thus "gets it." There's probably a ton of overlap, which is hilariously ironic.

How many players were arrested while Knight was the coach? (I know the answer is more than zero, but the point is a ratio) How many legal issues per capita since? How many former Knight players have been arrested since he was coach? (Todd Jadlow! I know not everyone's perfect, and Knight was certainly not) Apples and oranges. You don't have to agree with me and I know you see things differently than I do. You don't have to keep chasing me. The simple truth is we have not hired a coach who understands where he is since Knight was fired, and the cultural decay of the program has resulted. Bassett was smoking pot in the locker room while he was here. His arrest was predictable. He's a bad seed. Knight generally did not recruit bad seeds. Some....Jim Roberson and as it happens, Leary among a few others. But Leary was in his late 30's when he had his problems. Basset had problems while he was at IU. He simply bottomed out later.

Indiana's coaches have generally not done their homework on kids for 16 years. The pattern is obvious to me, and I'm fine if it's not to you. We've had coaches who assemble groups of players rather than build teams. We've had coaches who focus on players who need the ball and we've been devoid of kids who will do the dirty work or will work to make others better. We've lost the culture of "we over me." And we've recruited WAY too many knuckleheads. Killingsworth was a knuckelhead. So was DeAndre Thomas. So was Jamarcus Ellis. They didn't have big legal issues as far as I know, but that doesn't make them any less toxic.

I'm not asking anyone to agree with me, but I'm sick and tired of Indiana's players being in the news for the wrong reasons all while we have a team mired in mediocrity with players from all over the place. That is not "Indiana," or at least any "Indiana" I grew up loving.

Chasing you? I even said I am trying gain a better understanding of where you are coming from. After your explanation however I just don't get how this is an institutional problem. Just seems as a stretch to me. How many arrests under Knight? Well how many cops would go to Knight with the kid back in the day or turn a blind eye? Times have changed man. Knight was unable to change with them and that's why we had the breakup with him we did. Cops no longer turn a blind eye. Because they are afraid of what may come of it if they did.

After your explanation however I just don't get how this is an institutional problem. Just seems as a stretch to me. How many arrests under Knight? Well how many cops would go to Knight with the kid back in the day or turn a blind eye? Times have changed man. Knight was unable to change with them and that's why we had the breakup with him we did. Cops no longer turn a blind eye. Because they are afraid of what may come of it if they did.

This...in a big way.

Though I have no evidentiary proof, I'm pretty sure that Todd Leary didn't turn into a bad guy solely in his 30's, and I'm also quite certain that Coverdale didn't solely drink a lot once Davis took over. And, he was underage during all those sips he took when RMK was still at the helm!

That's not a big problem, but context and an eye toward reality is necessary.

The one thing I have never understood Colts is you always say you just want to discuss like you are at a bar. Then when someone asks anything about your statement you just don't like that. Plus in this type of environment where you have fans of all different backgrounds you are bound to get likes and dislikes. The stronger the opinion the more you should expect people to like or question your views. It's not about everyone else. It's about your page long posts that are begging people to respond or look at your views. You constantly say you don't care if people agree with you. Which I don't find that to be necessarily true or you wouldn't take the time to type all that you do. So please don't take my quoting you as chasing you. I am on here a lot. If someone has a strong opinion I am going to question to see if I can see from their point of view.

Knight had his problem children and only a small number of the them ever became public.  In that era, doesn't anyone else but me think that the local newspaper be it in Bloomington, Raleigh, Lexington, etc., conveniently omitted reporting all but the most serious player infractions?  Today, there are no secrets and every hint of bad news goes viral in a matter of minutes.

Knight had his problem children and only a small number of the them ever became public. In that era, doesn't anyone else but me think that the local newspaper be it in Bloomington, Raleigh, Lexington, etc., conveniently omitted reporting all but the most serious player infractions? Today, there are no secrets and every hint of bad news goes viral in a matter of minutes.

Social Media doesn't keep secrets. Plus Knight hated the media and they hated him. He wouldn't share anything.