Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

hoosierpap

B10 Basketball Recruiting Thread

27 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Seeing a notable trend.

Late first round and second round picks will be four year players more than have in decades.

I think this is a fantastic trend. 

There will always be 1/2 and done players. No way to prevent that in world of top recruiting. But guys just outside that range could be crazy valuable. 

On 4/7/2022 at 8:30 PM, BtownStrength said:

I think this is a fantastic trend. 

There will always be 1/2 and done players. No way to prevent that in world of top recruiting. But guys just outside that range could be crazy valuable. 

Also think IU stands to benefit as much as anyone from that particular trend. Michigan too, I assume. If you’ve got alumni NIL $, nice town/campus, and recruit guys who end up in that range, you could really capitalize.

10 minutes ago, lillurk said:

Also think IU stands to benefit as much as anyone from that particular trend. Michigan too, I assume. If you’ve got alumni NIL $, nice town/campus, and recruit guys who end up in that range, you could really capitalize.

In the B1G NIL is very good basketball news for IU, Illinois, Maryland, Michigan. 

Bad basketball news for B1G schools whose fanbases prioritize football, and for Purdue, NW.

5 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Purdue signs another 7 footer

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

That kid wasn't signed yet?

He starts this fall.  That's kinda weird.

Anyway, just because he's also 7'2", does not mean he's Zac Edey. Most zero star over-tall kids are not. 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

That kid wasn't signed yet?

He starts this fall.  That's kinda weird.

Anyway, just because he's also 7'2", does not mean he's Zac Edey. Most zero star over-tall kids are not. 

I watched one highlight video of him. He likes to hang around the perimeter a lot. I think he has a nice shooting touch, but at least to start won’t be a load on the block like Edey.

10 minutes ago, Gnet550 said:

I watched one highlight video of him. He likes to hang around the perimeter a lot. I think he has a nice shooting touch, but at least to start won’t be a load on the block like Edey.

Highlight videos can be very deceptive. How he moves and how he fares against high-level competition is far more telling.

The best "tell" on him was in the U18 Nordic championships, a tourney where Miro Little was excellent. Berg averaged 9ppg and 6rpg in 15 minutes per game. 50%fg, 50%ft, 1 to and 1.8 blocks. That's solid but not fantastic, especially against competition that wouldn't be US D1 recruit-worthy.

1 hour ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Purdue signs another 7 footer

PU has quite the pipeline to foreign 7-footers. 

Berg (Sweden), Edey (Canada), Haarms (Netherlands), Haas (Russia). 

OK, I know Haas' bio says he's from Alabama, but I don't believe it for a second. Look at the dude and convince me he's not Russian. Or of some other Eastern European origin. 

Getting to Know: Isaac Haas - Purdue Boilermakers

2 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

OK, I know Haas' bio says he's from Alabama, but I don't believe it for a second. Look at the dude and convince me he's not Russian. Or of some other Eastern European origin. 

I thought that Haas was from The Isle of Syphilis.

10010814.jpeg?preset=large.socialmediaimage&key=5e40f92ae87e2bd03597fdf2bacabb84d473092019b19f7db9abb218e3d6430c
He may have some East European DNA for sure, but I would bet it isn't all Eastern European. Lots of overlap in Europe through history

On 4/13/2022 at 3:18 PM, LamarCheeks said:

Either Bond villian henchman or Addams family butler. Toss of the coin.

Bond.jpg

Lurch.jpg

So the addition of Malik gives IU the 5th rated (composite rankings) 2022 class. The Big Ten now has 4 of the top 10 2022 classes. There have been posts about the lack of high level Big Ten recruits, in past years, so I took a look at how many BT teams were in the top 10 recruiting class rankings since 2016:

BT.                           SEC.               ACC
2022 - 4                    2                       1

2021 - 1                    3                        2

2020 - 0                   5                         2

2019 - 0                    2                        2

2018 - 2                    2                        1

2017 - 0                   3                         3

2016 - 1                   2                         4

Pretty poor.

Duke is number 1 this year landing 3 of the top 5 guys and 4 of the top 13 in the country. Just crazy and it will be interesting to see how JS does with those guys.  Also kind of crazy to see #1 Duke followed in the 2022 class rankings by Arkansas and Alabama.

26 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

So the addition of Malik gives IU the 5th rated (composite rankings) 2022 class. The Big Ten now has 4 of the top 10 2022 classes. There have been posts about the lack of high level Big Ten recruits, in past years, so I took a look at how many BT teams were in the top 10 recruiting class rankings since 2016:

BT.                           SEC.               ACC
2022 - 4                    2                       1

2021 - 1                    3                        2

2020 - 0                   5                         2

2019 - 0                    2                        2

2018 - 2                    2                        1

2017 - 0                   3                         3

2016 - 1                   2                         4

Pretty poor.

Duke is number 1 this year landing 3 of the top 5 guys and 4 of the top 13 in the country. Just crazy and it will be interesting to see how JS does with those guys.  Also kind of crazy to see #1 Duke followed in the 2022 class rankings by Arkansas and Alabama.

In terms of 5 star players, there will only be 6, maybe 5 in the Big Ten. For IU, Malik and JHS (Trayce was a very high 4 star per 247 and ESPN). Michigan will have Houstan and Diabate. Illinois with Clark. Maybe Michigan State with Max Christie.