Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

hoosierpap

B10 Basketball Recruiting Thread

3 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

It worked out for him in the sense that he got half a million dollars and will be a top draft pick, which is the end goal really. But I’m still not sold on the G League as a legitimate competitor for top talent. I don’t think Jalen Green is known by casual fans. No one really watches the G League. Jalen Suggs is a household name now because of his NCAA tournament performance. That was worth more than $500k in the long run, imo. The G League offers money of course but you can’t beat the exposure the NCAA gives you. 

Jalen Suggs is an outlier though because he was on a top 2 team and hit an insane shot. That won’t happen for most of these guys. Jalen Green has the type of game that draws eyes in the NBA and he has a lot of star potential imo. Emoni has been hyped as the next KD since he was in middle school and has been living up to the hype every step of the way. 

Jalen Suggs is an outlier though because he was on a top 2 team and hit an insane shot. That won’t happen for most of these guys. Jalen Green has the type of game that draws eyes in the NBA and he has a lot of star potential imo. Emoni has been hyped as the next KD since he was in middle school and has been living up to the hype every step of the way. 

But he got outplayed by Chet Holmgren on ESPN......

Lol. I’m just having fun. Bates is a monster. But Holmgren did get the best of him that night.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

6 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

But he got outplayed by Chet Holmgren on ESPN......

Lol. I’m just having fun. Bates is a monster. But Holmgren did get the best of him that night.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I mean Holmgren is the closest thing I’ve seen to AD. He has to completely change his body though. He’s less of a sure thing. Both have huge talent. 

20 minutes ago, IUfan_Charlie said:

Zion is another guy who was helped by playing in college. Obviously he was great, but RJ was the more hyped recruit than him going into Duke. Then in college Zion became the top star. I think that the G League will be a good option for a few kids a year. The very tippy top of 5 stars. But i still expect the majority of 5 star types to come to college, especially with NIL changes and all that reducing the income difference soon. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Zion is another guy who was helped by playing in college. Obviously he was great, but RJ was the more hyped recruit than him going into Duke. Then in college Zion became the top star. I think that the G League will be a good option for a few kids a year. The very tippy top of 5 stars. But i still expect the majority of 5 star types to come to college, especially with NIL changes and all that reducing the income difference soon. 

Zion helped his stock in college for sure but the g league wasn’t really an option a few years ago.  But Zion is an all time high school mixtape player. He was way more famous than RJ Barrett. I agree the g league isn’t for everyone, but neither is college. I’m just saying I fully understand the decision to make real money as soon as possible. Look at LaMelo Ball. College wouldn’t have helped him in any way and he was killing it this year. There are more paths these days. 

Sun Belt player of the year DeVante' Jones will withdraw from the NBA draft and enroll at Michigan for his senior season, he told ESPN. Jones was one of the most sought-after players in the NCAA transfer portal this spring.  DeVante' Jones was arguably the best perimeter defender at the G League Elite Camp where he had a strong showing. Averaged 19ppg last year shooting 37% for 3 while showing terrific pace operating out of pick and roll. All-Conference caliber player in the Big Ten, conservatively.

Poster it in the transfer thread as well but saw Kevin Obaner from Oral Roberts entered the portal. 6’ 8”…avg 18 and 9 whooped shooting over 40% from 3

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Sun Belt player of the year DeVante' Jones will withdraw from the NBA draft and enroll at Michigan for his senior season, he told ESPN. Jones was one of the most sought-after players in the NCAA transfer portal this spring.  DeVante' Jones was arguably the best perimeter defender at the G League Elite Camp where he had a strong showing. Averaged 19ppg last year shooting 37% for 3 while showing terrific pace operating out of pick and roll. All-Conference caliber player in the Big Ten, conservatively.

Howard has it going on in Ann arbor.

I guess it goes without saying Woody needs a good season to turn some of that recruiting momentum this way.

1 hour ago, Woodson1980 said:

Howard has it going on in Ann arbor.

I guess it goes without saying Woody needs a good season to turn some of that recruiting momentum this way.

This year will determine a lot for us and Woody and the trajectory of the program. Make the tourney, get a win there and we should be able to recruit enough to keep building. On the flip side, we miss the tourney yet again... might be too much to overcome

Sparty lands 4-star PG Tre Holloman from Minneapolis.  This one was confusing.  He indicated some time back we'd offered but he never heard from the new staff after Woody was hired.  But I don't ever recall seeing any evidence that Archie offered from the usual multitude of sources that race each other to get the news of an IU offer made public.

51 minutes ago, yogisballin said:

I realize that it is not completely uncommon but he’s on his 4th high school already?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Read the Illinois 247 site breakdown of the situation. Didn't leave his most recent school (Hamilton Heights in Tennessee) on good terms and also questioned the Illinois staff on why they were continuing to recruit guards after he committed.