Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

hoosierpap

B10 Basketball Recruiting Thread

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Brian Waddell of 2021 state champion Carmel HS has committed to PUke.

He's good.  Underrated player.  His dunk on CJ Gunn was jawdropping.   Not sure if it will work out, but he'll play better than his scouted ranking, whatever that may be.

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

He's good.  Underrated player.  His dunk on CJ Gunn was jawdropping.   Not sure if it will work out, but he'll play better than his scouted ranking, whatever that may be.

He will definitely play better than his scouted ranking, which is not in the top 400 of any service. I found him in one place as not in the top 25 for Indiana high school seniors, but included with an alphabetical list of the 25-50th best Indiana high school players.

Not saying he couldn't be okay, but he seems like a preferred walk-on resume if their ever was one. Not sure if he had ANY other D1 offers. The Indystar article says that "Wright State, Miami (Ohio), Furman and Loyola Chicago were among the schools showing interest."

It's a very Crean-like Gelon/Priller offer to me, although Painter certainly currently has enough talent to compensate. However, as we know a few injuries or transfers and his number could get called someday.

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

He will definitely play better than his scouted ranking, which is not in the top 400 of any service. I found him in one place as not in the top 25 for Indiana high school seniors, but included with an alphabetical list of the 25-50th best Indiana high school players.

Not saying he couldn't be okay, but he seems like a preferred walk-on resume if their ever was one. Not sure if he had ANY other D1 offers. The Indystar article says that "Wright State, Miami (Ohio), Furman and Loyola Chicago were among the schools showing interest."

It's a very Crean-like Gelon/Priller offer to me, although Painter certainly currently has enough talent to compensate. However, as we know a few injuries or transfers and his number could get called someday.

I agree with all that.  When I watched him in that State Final, I couldn't believe he wasn't getting more attention.  I guess Purdue felt the same, but I'm sure he's a depth guy that won't be unhappy about playing time.   Interesting case to follow.  

Haven’t we been saying that about PU recruiting for awhile yet these no names end up solid.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

28 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Haven’t we been saying that about PU recruiting for awhile yet these no names end up solid.

Not really.

Purdue's recruiting has been very good, but other than Edey all of their key guys have been 'on the radar', even if they were under-ranked. Trevion Williams was in the 150's, Ivey was a top 100 four star, Gillis was at 220, Newman was at 126. Even Stefanovich and Thompson, who aren't all that good, were in the 200-300 range. 

This young man is 25-50 in the State of Indiana. He may have had offers from MAC schools-that's it.

Like I said, Purdue can afford to waste a scholly here and there, but this looks like a Donnie Hale redoux.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Not really.

Purdue's recruiting has been very good, but other than Edey all of their key guys have been 'on the radar', even if they were under-ranked. Trevion Williams was in the 150's, Ivey was a top 100 four star, Gillis was at 220, Newman was at 126. Even Stefanovich and Thompson, who aren't all that good, were in the 200-300 range. 

This young man is 25-50 in the State of Indiana. He may have had offers from MAC schools-that's it.

Like I said, Purdue can afford to waste a scholly here and there, but this looks like a Donnie Hale redoux.

Recently yeah. Back when Haarms committed Purdue had him and another kid ranked pretty low but can’t think of who. 
 Haarms was nationally ranked 352  

https://247sports.com/player/matt-haarms-46035617/

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Not really.

Setting aside how this turns out, Painter has really operated well in Purdue’s sweet spot, and supplemented it well with Biggie/Furst types either from the northern half of the state or with PU connections or both. Kaufman doesn’t really fit that mold but it seems saw the situation IU was in.

7 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I agree with all that.  When I watched him in that State Final, I couldn't believe he wasn't getting more attention.  I guess Purdue felt the same, but I'm sure he's a depth guy that won't be unhappy about playing time.   Interesting case to follow.  

Matt Waddells kid right? I think he is better than Gelon but maybe Painter offered as a favor to an old teammate.

Matt Waddells kid right? I think he is better than Gelon but maybe Painter offered as a favor to an old teammate.

He’s underrated and underrecruited. He’s no Gelon, that’s for certain. And he’s 6’6”, 6’7”.

Maybe he never sees the court but I expect him to be a solid player.

I do wonder if immediate one-time transfer eligibility will make it easier for power 5 schools to use 12th or 13th scholarships on multi-year developmental targets outside the top ~200. If he stays, maybe you’ve developed a rotation player by years 3-5; if he wants playing time and leaves for a lower level, well, you’ve got an open grant for an immediately eligible player and not just racing for a sit out or unprepared frosh

1 hour ago, IUfan_Charlie said:

He’s so good that it doesn’t make any sense for him to play college ball. Go make $500K and play against pros. No brainer to me. Worked out for Jalen Green. 

It worked out for him in the sense that he got half a million dollars and will be a top draft pick, which is the end goal really. But I’m still not sold on the G League as a legitimate competitor for top talent. I don’t think Jalen Green is known by casual fans. No one really watches the G League. Jalen Suggs is a household name now because of his NCAA tournament performance. That was worth more than $500k in the long run, imo. The G League offers money of course but you can’t beat the exposure the NCAA gives you.