Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kilroy

RMK

Let me start by saying that I was a huge fan of Coach Knight. I walked on the president's house and assembly hall along with 1000s of other students when he was fired by the ex-president who shall be named.

But as time as gone by, I've lost more and more respect for Coach Knight, and not just because of the stories that Dan Dakich and other ex-players have told. I'm tired of the petulance and self-absorption that few possess to that level beyond the terrible twos.

I don't know how everyone else feels, but I don't want Coach Knight to come back. I don't need a statute or named arena. Indiana Basketball always has and always will be bigger than one man, and I don't think that one man does a very good job of representing the school anyway. 

So goodbye, RMK, moving on here.

It was interesting to hear what Jay Bilas had to say on the subject of Knight when I went to the Q&A. He said that Bob has always been his own person, and underneath the tough, coaching exterior, he was still a person on the inside, and that person was hurt by the way he was let go at Indiana. He said that to his knowledge, there is no timetable for Knight to return to Blommington, and that the only way he will come back is when he has recovered from the hurt.

I think RMK is a great basketball mind, and someone whose accomplishments outweigh those of many others. I would love to meet him, shake his hand, and thank him for the time he put in here at Indiana. That being said, there will be no tears shed by me if he never returns. Maybe that's because I'm young, but its the way I see it.

I did meet RMK about a week after his firing, shook his hand, and did thank him for his time coaching Indiana. I have met quite a few "celebrity" types, but none have been quite as impressive a figure as RMK. Still, done with him. Dan Dakich in his 7 games coaching Indiana has done more for Indiana Basketball in the last decade than RMK did in the last 20 years.

As I tell my friends when they ask my opinion of Coach Knight: I appreciate what he did for the university and it was time for him to leave about five years before he was fired.  It was obvious (at least to me) that he was not happy with the administration at the university. In the end, I feel that we don't need to name anything for a person that has such open animosity towards the university (even though all parties involved are no longer present at the university).

I was always a fan of RMK. Having said that, it became more about him towards the end than IU basketball. The titles will last forever, but I have moved on years ago. It is and should be about IU's team, program, and the kids and coaches suiting up today. It is his problem if he can't move on, not our problem. I am frankly tired of hearing about old news. Our program will endure with or without him.

I am over him coming back. I don't want to name the court or arena after him anymore. What offends me most is that an entire following of people adore him and respect him and he has turned his back to us all. I understand why he would be bitter with Indiana, I really do. But I had nothing to do with his firing, nor did I agree with it, and I was one of MANY.  Pretty much none of the current students, fans, staff, or administration had anything to do with that, and most would side with him on the situation. As far as I'm concerned from here on out, Crean's our guy, and I hope is legacy here is long and successful.

On another note... RMK seems to be losing it. This video is actually sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DOOETw9zCA 

It's not the fans that won't let him go it's the media, every time it settles the media brings it up and his answer has been the same every time they ask. If the media would leave him and it alone. The media keeps beating a dead horse.

Let me start by saying that I was a huge fan of Coach Knight. I walked on the president's house and assembly hall along with 1000s of other students when he was fired by the ex-president who shall be named.

But as time as gone by, I've lost more and more respect for Coach Knight, and not just because of the stories that Dan Dakich and other ex-players have told. I'm tired of the petulance and self-absorption that few possess to that level beyond the terrible twos.

I don't know how everyone else feels, but I don't want Coach Knight to come back. I don't need a statute or named arena. Indiana Basketball always has and always will be bigger than one man, and I don't think that one man does a very good job of representing the school anyway. 

So goodbye, RMK, moving on here.

You don't want him back and he doesn't want to come back.  It's looks perfect to me.

To this day Knight is still the best coach I have ever seen, not recruiter but coach. The reason Bob Knight is no longer at IU is because of Bob Knight. He was given countless chances. He doesn't want to come back,thats up to him. We have a relentless worker in Tom Crean, the program is in good hands...Go Indiana Basketball!

Bob Knight is still a GOD in my eyes, there will never be anyone like him. What he did at IU is legendary. He knows he is still loved in Indiana. Don't get me wrong I fully support and love Coach Crean, but Coach Knight will forever be a part of IU basketball