Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Fulkme15

Bo Ryan retires effective immediately- Investigated

Pretty darn good career for the man. Great coach. Here I was thinking when Bo finally retired that Indiana would reclaim the throne or be in better spot for it since he always seems to have Crean's number. Kind of like Crean always having Bielein's

wow does this happen often? as far as a coach taking off during the season.....

I

I think only when the Coach has someone he wants to fill his shoes.  Unless of course there are health issues. 

In Bo's case he has made it really clear he wants his Assistant to get a shot at being Head Coach.  If he waited until the end of the season to retire, Alvarez would have to do a national search, and would probably not look at the assistant. 

If Alvarez is smart he will do a search anyway, but then at least Gard gets to try and show what he can do. 

I think it is going to be a losing proposition, though.  The Badgers are not good this year.  So unless Gard pulls a miracle out of his butt, he will be the head coach of a losing team.

From what I've read, Bo was planning to retire after last season, but Bo's choice as replacement, Assistant Coach Gard, was then dealing with a serious illness in his family. Bo didn't want to leave until Gard was able to take over the job during a less stressful time in his life. So that is the reason Bo gave for retiring now, although leaving at this time does mean Gard gets to be Interim Head Coach with little or no chance of being replaced until the season ends. Gard has been with Bo for many seasons. They are obviously very close. Whether Alvarez keeps Gard on as Head Coach remains to be seen.

The Bo vs. IU rivalry has been a good one. I hope he enjoys his retirement.