Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

IU vs Duke Post Game Thread

I'm glad I spent 2+ hrs at the Straight No Chaser concert rather than watching that game.  I'm not even going to watch it.  It's sitting on my DVR at home, I will delete it when I get home from work.  When the concert ended and I was waiting for traffic to clear from the parking garage I checked the score and it was close (reasonably so).  I get home in time to watch the last 90 seconds or so and from the 20 pt loss, I didn't think much.

I wake up this morning and I read through all of the sky is falling comments and I've seen posters who are normally on the positive side of things saying things were baaaaaaaad.  Then I read Hutch's article.  Geeeesh!  And there are 8 add'l pages to the Fire Tom Crean thread.  Sounds like the wheels really fell off last night.  

If this subset of IU fans is any indication of the greater fandom, then damn.  

The gist I took away from the readings only was PLAY SOME FREAKING DEFENSE!

for me it was also a first time that i literally had no emotion while watching.....i just stared and chuckled a few times....i dont want to be negative but this game and this year (so far) is no fun to watch....i hope we improve

Well from yesterday's debacle we at least learned one thing. TB is no where any way close to being a one and done. More than anything else, I was disappointed in rebounding. It's one thing to give second and third chances to teams like Alcon state but you do that to duke and you get the crap we saw last night. Does this team not know how to box out? Boggles my mind.

I have been focusing my complaints to rebounding and the putrid defense but we are a offensive team and as big of problem as any is not to score a point 8 plus minutes into a half? The game was a blurr to me but that is a big deal also and there is no excuse for that

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2595354-indiana-player-bumps-coach-k-on-the-way-to-the-locker-room-at-the-half?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

video of max bumping coach k...i guess this goes here lol....i think it does look intended.....i think he was just frustrated

I'm glad I spent 2+ hrs at the Straight No Chaser concert rather than watching that game.  I'm not even going to watch it.  It's sitting on my DVR at home, I will delete it when I get home from work.  When the concert ended and I was waiting for traffic to clear from the parking garage I checked the score and it was close (reasonably so).  I get home in time to watch the last 90 seconds or so and from the 20 pt loss, I didn't think much.

I wake up this morning and I read through all of the sky is falling comments and I've seen posters who are normally on the positive side of things saying things were baaaaaaaad.  Then I read Hutch's article.  Geeeesh!  And there are 8 add'l pages to the Fire Tom Crean thread.  Sounds like the wheels really fell off last night.  

If this subset of IU fans is any indication of the greater fandom, then damn.  

The gist I took away from the readings only was PLAY SOME FREAKING DEFENSE!

On the one hand, I want to say you got lucky you didn't have to watch that garbage heap. 

On the other, I think watching the game serves a function for an informed IU fan like you pretend to be because it is our hopes and fears all packed into one undeniable mess. You can turn it off with around 12-14 minutes left in the game and you'll have seen enough. If you make it past 6 minutes left you're better than most.

But, the first 8 to 10 minutes are beautiful. They're all of the expectations and beliefs and hopes for this team packed in. The offense looks spectacular, the defense looks decent, we're fighting hard and playing. The 3-pointer with about 7 minutes left in the first half is really the end of the game. The next sequence you'll see is the Indiana team we all feared especially after Maui. Wilting under the pressure and slowly getting worse and worse. The beginning of the second half, you'll see the worst adjustments in basketball, and then the team devolving to everyone playing as individuals without pretending to be on a team.

It really is horrible and heartbreaking and important. I'm glad I watched it, because if I hadn't I could probably keep pretending everything might get better. But it's not. Losing at Cameron was something I prepared for, this wasn't. I don't even know if this is a tourney team anymore. Notre Dame will effectively decide that.

Why does Duke have their managers sprint across the court like that. I noticed for the first time during our game and kept thinking they were white polo wearing Rudys. What message are they trying to send or what emotion are they trying to instill.

After a night of sleep and a lot of processing what Indiana did from the opening tip to about the 10 minute mark in the first half was incredible. The offense looked unstoppable with good ball movement, back door cuts, not settling for the first open 3 they got. Defense looked pretty good getting a couple steals and some stops. Indiana wasn't turning the ball over. Then Duke went on one of their patented runs and it just seemed like Indiana said well we tried and that was it. The one play that stood out to me the most was in the second half on a ball screen at the top of the key zeisloft rotates over on a pass and immediately its rotated back to the top of the key for a wide open three by Matt Jones. They showed the reply and I don't know if I have ever seen someone that lost on Zeisloft if you saw the look in his eyes. Incredible to me that Thomas Bryant had zero boards. There are a ton of big men more skilled than Marshall Plumlee. In the end I think it was more about one coach making second half adjustment and another coach doing I don't even know. But for a 10 minute span to start the game, Indiana looked damn good.

After a night of sleep and a lot of processing what Indiana did from the opening tip to about the 10 minute mark in the first half was incredible. The offense looked unstoppable with good ball movement, back door cuts, not settling for the first open 3 they got. Defense looked pretty good getting a couple steals and some stops. Indiana wasn't turning the ball over. Then Duke went on one of their patented runs and it just seemed like Indiana said well we tried and that was it. The one play that stood out to me the most was in the second half on a ball screen at the top of the key zeisloft rotates over on a pass and immediately its rotated back to the top of the key for a wide open three by Matt Jones. They showed the reply and I don't know if I have ever seen someone that lost on Zeisloft if you saw the look in his eyes. Incredible to me that Thomas Bryant had zero boards. There are a ton of big men more skilled than Marshall Plumlee. In the end I think it was more about one coach making second half adjustment and another coach doing I don't even know. But for a 10 minute span to start the game, Indiana looked damn good.

Blue, how do Duke fans feel about the game? Are they thinking about it any further at all? It seemed like Coach K pitied us by the end and backed the team off so they didn't put up 100. Any similar sentiment from Duke fans? Or mostly happy? Or indifferent because it wasn't even a game?

We're all so caught up in the Indiana side, I often wonder what the teams we play feel. I know I feel bad for some teams when we beat up on them and they often aren't even teams with expectations.

There was a ton of close game score predictions. A lot of us were concerned about IUs guard play that really didn't get going until garbage time. A lot of talk about just how bad IU defense is and how it's a leadership issue. Also a lot of us think top to bottom Dukes best performance of the year. There was also a post that Coach K just ended Tom Crean's career. Basically nobody is taking IU serious. Not much can be said to defend against that point either I don't think. I really do feel bad.

There was a ton of close game score predictions. A lot of us were concerned about IUs guard play that really didn't get going until garbage time. A lot of talk about just how bad IU defense is and how it's a leadership issue. Also a lot of us think top to bottom Dukes best performance of the year. There was also a post that Coach K just ended Tom Crean's career. Basically nobody is taking IU serious. Not much can be said to defend against that point either I don't think. I really do feel bad.

I think it's more sad that IU fans don't take this team seriously anymore..... 

Would love to see DocLibby weigh in. When I said I feel bad for the players, I was thinking about DocLibby in part. Yogi has been a winner his whole precollege career. 2 state titles I believe. Yogi is a winner. Or was. People question his leadership which I suppose is fair but hasn't he been the leader of every winning team he has been a part of? Can't wait to eventually hear her thoughts on his college career and Creans impact.

Also something I don't think has been mentioned.. What was up with the long stare down after Troy blocked Allen's shot down 22?

I didn't agree with that, but Troy was about the only one who showed up on offense in the 2nd half who really tried. He was also probably frustrated by the home cookin refs ;)

Also something I don't think has been mentioned.. What was up with the long stare down after Troy blocked Allen's shot down 22?

Thanks for your info earlier. About what I expected to hear. Disappointing, but at least we aren't crazy over here and what we see is shared by our opponents.

It was the kind of swagger move you make when you're starting to pull ahead of an opponent. Done while 22 points behind. It really sums up the team right? Filled with fake swagger and individual pride while everything collapses around them. Would have loved it blocking a shot to tie it up or break a tie. It was embarrassing down 22.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2015/12/02/reaction-no-iu-defense-again-leads-embarrassing-loss-duke/76705538/

I think IU and Crean do a lot of work to make sure he is well liked in the industry. Hence the recent articles from national guys subtlety defending him but that tide is turning. Jay Williams has been beating the negative drum on IU (not completely directed at Crean but he has been included), DV last night really questioned our team repeatedly and in this article there are several national folks taking jabs now too.

Sage, one year after being here for MM clearly questioning the makeup and leadership of this program. Heck even Seth Davis got a little negative

The tide is turning. I really wonder what the boosters that attended the game last night thought. Are they happy just to be able to travel with the team or do they expect higher results? Do they think it is all on the players (again), bad luck due to not having the roster Crean thought he would (again) or do they like many of us see this falling mostly on Crean?