Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jmsgws

Disdain for Purdue

Not quite sure where to put this...

I have a niece at Ole Miss looking for Grad Schools.  One of her professors has two degrees from IU, he sent her this email in regards to her letters for her Grad School Applications.[attachment=2987:IU-letter.jpg]

I have a grandson who is being recruited by Purdue in football. I have no idea how serious they are but they did invite him to every home game this year. He's a junior so there's still time for him to make a better choice. I'll do my best to support my grandson but I'll never put on Purdue gear.

I'm just saying that I feel your pain.

I actually come from a very divided family.  !/2 of my siblings went to Purdue.  1/2 went to IU. 

I despise every athletic program draped in Black and Old Gold, but as a University...... I have to admit that Indiana is lucky to have two world class institutions in IU and Purdue. 

Hopefully the best University in Indiana will wake up and start recruiting him as well!  Good Luck to him.  Academically he could do a lot worse than getting a  degree from Purdue.

I have family members who went to Purdue for degrees that IU-Bloomington doesn't offer like engineering, pharmacy, and veterinary medicine. Purdue is an excellent university in those areas, especially engineering. In fact, their engineering program is one of the best in the country. Depending on a person's professional goals, Purdue is a very good choice. You can support a family member's academic career at Purdue without supporting Purdue's athletic program. I've done it for years.

Edit: Hova reminded me below that IU will soon be having an engineering program.

I have family members who went to Purdue for degrees that IU-Bloomington doesn't offer like engineering, pharmacy, and veterinary medicine. Purdue is an excellent university in those areas, especially engineering. In fact, their engineering program is one of the best in the country. Depending on a person's professional goals, Purdue is a very good choice. You can support a family member's academic career at Purdue without supporting Purdue's athletic program. I've done it for years.

But what will Purdue be useful for once our Engineering program gets settled in???

Hova, I'm sure IU will have a top engineering program eventually but it will take us a while to catch up with Purdue. It hurts me to say that but it's true. Purdue's engineering school has been graduating renowned astronauts and other world-class engineers for a long time.

Hova, I'm sure IU will have a top engineering program eventually but it will take us a while to catch up with Purdue. It hurts me to say that but it's true. Purdue's engineering school has been graduating renowned astronauts and other world-class engineers for a long time.

Oh I know. But don't let *them* know that. :)

I have a grandson who is being recruited by Purdue in football. I have no idea how serious they are but they did invite him to every home game this year. He's a junior so there's still time for him to make a better choice. I'll do my best to support my grandson but I'll never put on Purdue gear.

I'm just saying that I feel your pain.

Sounds like someone needs to help their grandson by shooting Coach Wilson a line.

My brother got his undergrad from IU-B and his graduate degree from Purdon't. At his undergrad ceremony, he got booed when they announced his intentions of attending that other school. Lol. I almost disowned him when he told me about his decision. He works for NASA now though, so that is pretty cool.

IUsafety - 2015 IUFB Prediction League Regular Season Champ.

I have a cousin who went to Purdue and I have an aunt and uncle who both went to Purdue in all honesty they're not as bad as we make them out to be. 

No one is as bad as you make them out to be once you see them as individuals with personal thoughts, goals, and motivations. Well, very few people at least. Most KKK or ISIS members still aren't super cool. Though, if you talk to younger members of either I'd wager you'll find people who feel like they had no choice but to join, don't entirely agree with the message, and are disenfranchised enough to make desperate decisions.

That's why it's important we never think about Purdue or anyone else as individuals, but as that big stupid train and that stupid mascot. I hope Mackey Arena explodes during a public scrimmage only attended by faceless Purdue students and players.

Hova, I'm sure IU will have a top engineering program eventually but it will take us a while to catch up with Purdue. It hurts me to say that but it's true. Purdue's engineering school has been graduating renowned astronauts and other world-class engineers for a long time.

It's not as great as they'd lead you to believe though.

My brother graduated from Purdue in 2011 with a degree in Mechanical Engineering.  He said Purdue's engineering program is behind Illinois, Penn State, and Wisconsin in the Big 10 alone.

Heck, he went to an engineering conference a few years in Skokie, Illinois (right outside of Chicago) full of engineers from all over the United States and Canada.  Whenever he met people and told them what college he went to, he frequently had to explain what Purdue was.  And this was at an ENGINEERING CONFERENCE.  2 hours away from Purdue's campus.