Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Feathery

New Coach Salary And Criteria...$5 million?

I actually think Harbaugh is a good comparison. Someone who coached successfully in the pros, but came back o college because he got his dream job. I have no idea if he still feels this way or not, but at one time, Indiana was Brad Stevens' dream job. So I have hope.

He is a one man list until he isn't. As I've said before, every move Indiana makes should depend on whether or not he would come if the job were available. He says he will, we act appropriately. Crean finishes the season, we wait until April 10th or so to let him walk, see what the Celtics do in the post-season, and hire Brad when we can. And I'd give him $8 million a year for 10 years. At the end of the day, that's chump change if Indiana wins like I think they would under him. Meaning, he's worth far more than that to re-build the brand.

He says no? Then we move on to other options, and both Miller and Marshall are good ones. I don't know that Sean Miller leaves Arizona for Indiana, though. I wouldn't mind taking a shot at a Keith Smart or Randy Wittman. I do know we need someone who understands what Indiana basketball is all about; and though I know some disagree, it is NOT spending $700k on recruiting so we can go get east coast guys who do NOT understand. We need at least one "IU guy" involved at a high level, or we risk repeating the last 15 years. That's my two cents.

Stevens/Miller was a good portion of conversation among the guys at Thanksgiving dinner. Which spurred me to look these guys up. Arizona to IU is basically a lateral move at the moment, at best. When I saw Millers salary and thought, man if IU would pay him $5 mil plus, it's a no brainer to leave Zona for Indiana. If we are willing to pay, then I think IU can get basically anyone they want.

As good as a coach and leader pop is, he needs some pieces and he would have to be able to recruit those pieces. He might but that is an unknown

In the case of someone like Popovich I don't think he'd have much trouble recruiting considering the success he's had at the NBA level.  Everyone is going to be an unknown unless they've already coached at this level, even Crean was an unknown.

In the case of someone like Popovich I don't think he'd have much trouble recruiting considering the success he's had at the NBA level. Everyone is going to be an unknown unless they've already coached at this level, even Crean was an unknown.

I wish he were!

Stevens/Miller was a good portion of conversation among the guys at Thanksgiving dinner. Which spurred me to look these guys up. Arizona to IU is basically a lateral move at the moment, at best. When I saw Millers salary and thought, man if IU would pay him $5 mil plus, it's a no brainer to leave Zona for Indiana. If we are willing to pay, then I think IU can get basically anyone they want.

Not sure if he'd come or not.  Depends on how happy he is.  He has no ties to Indiana or to the Big Ten.    He's in Arizona where the weather's great all year,  he has established recruiting in that area, and he's perennially a top 10 team.  Money's great and he's a good name...is he the right fit?   A dark horse candidate I heard about today is Scott Davenport from Bellarmine.  Even as a bridge...   Not sure of the validity, but he's got blood lines.

Not sure if he'd come or not. Depends on how happy he is. He has no ties to Indiana or to the Big Ten. He's in Arizona where the weather's great all year, he has established recruiting in that area, and he's perennially a top 10 team. Money's great and he's a good name...is he the right fit? A dark horse candidate I heard about today is Scott Davenport from Bellarmine. Even as a bridge... Not sure of the validity, but he's got blood lines.

Miller has Midwest ties from his time at Xavier. He knows the recruiting landscape. There were some grumbling a in Arizona about him not getting over the hump to a final four. But he might see recruiting as easier in Indiana, instead of fighting the California schools in Cali and it seems like they go head to head with Kansas a lot bc they have to recruit nationally to stay at the top.

If IU were to hire a guy from Bellermine, Hoosiernation would implode. He may be good, I know zero about him, but there are so many more proven coaches that could be had.

With Stevens its not just about the money, he hates recruiting so we would have to continue funding the recruiting to where he wouldn't have to be so hands on.  Which I am not opposed to, but that would have to be part of our pitch to him. 

Pay him more and assure him he will have to be less involved in recruiting than he was at Butler. 

Brad Stevens and his wife are very conservative. I remember reading an article in the star where his wife was talking about having sticker shock, when house searching in Boston. Double his salary from Boston, lower the cost of living by 4x, and put them closer to family and friends..... You may just be able to. He'd be worth every single penny north of $5+ Million. The relationships with local AAU coaches would instantaneously be mended and he'd come to Indiana with any NBA reference he'd want to put on his resume. He's the next Coach K, if he decides to come back to the college ranks. The folks who argue that there is no proof that he'd succeed at Indiana are fooling themselves. He nearly hung 2 banners at Butler with unranked recruits and has a bottom of the barrel NBA roster ranked as the NBA's #1 defense. He's as close to a "sure thing" as one can get. There's a reason the fanbase is united on his name.

Hes a great in game coach. Recruits see that combined with the money we spend on our facilities hes gonna have talent maybe not on Duke or UKs level he doesn't need that. 

We have to offer him a blank check, he would instantly position us to snag some of the 2017 in state talent. 

Hes a great in game coach. Recruits see that combined with the money we spend on our facilities hes gonna have talent maybe not on Duke or UKs level he doesn't need that.

We have to offer him a blank check, he would instantly position us to snag some of the 2017 in state talent.

I agree. I see him, at bare minimum getting the Bryant Mcintosh's, Joey Brunk's, Kyle Guy's, Zach Gunn's of the state and make final fours. Land the Scruggs, Wilkes, and Trey Lyles types and we hang banners.

The day Indiana University hires Brad Stevens will be the day the rest of the country will be put on notice. I have no doubt in my mind. Can you imagine the excitement it would bring to the program? Huge rejuvenation in my opinion. I don't think he would have to recruit that hard.. Maybe I am just living in a fantasy world. Hell I want him to be coach K's successor honestly. Indiana basketball is a dormant volcano waiting to erupt and I think more people than just IUBB people know this.

I don't think he would risk following in Ks footsteps.  Maybe in Ks successors footsteps.  But yes you are right, which is why we have to find the money give him a blank check.  Private jet for personal use, Whatever. 

The money is there, the resources are there, the facilities are there, the history is there, the fans are there, Bloomington is awesome. All they need is their COACH.

Your tugging on the ole heart strings tonight. Keep that ish up bruh.

The day Indiana University hires Brad Stevens will be the day the rest of the country will be put on notice. I have no doubt in my mind. Can you imagine the excitement it would bring to the program? Huge rejuvenation in my opinion. I don't think he would have to recruit that hard.. Maybe I am just living in a fantasy world. Hell I want him to be coach K's successor honestly. Indiana basketball is a dormant volcano waiting to erupt and I think more people than just IUBB people know this.

I've said before that Indiana offers everything a coach needs to succeed at a high level, absolutely everything, and Brad Stevens is the absolute perfect fit for Indiana basketball.  I've even heard rival fans admit that Indiana is a sleeping giant.  I completely believe Stevens would give that giant the kick it needs to wake up and reclaim it's spot among the royalty.

That kind of hire wouldn't just make waves, it'd send tidal waves across CBB.  It'd send a message to everyone that we're not messing around this time.

You sir, have the post of the week! Very well said. I don't think we will get him, but that's just a guess.

I've said before that Indiana offers everything a coach needs to succeed at a high level, absolutely everything, and Brad Stevens is the absolute perfect fit for Indiana basketball. I've even heard rival fans admit that Indiana is a sleeping giant. I completely believe Stevens would give that giant the kick it needs to wake up and reclaim it's spot among the royalty.

That kind of hire wouldn't just make waves, it'd send tidal waves across CBB. It'd send a message to everyone that we're not messing around this time.

I know it's been said 100 times but I had a UK fan tell me today he hopes Tom Crean stays at IU forever, also mentioned that he can't believe the talent level we have and the what could be...

I know it's been said 100 times but I had a UK fan tell me today he hopes Tom Crean stays at IU forever, also mentioned that he can't believe the talent level we have and the what could be...

Yeah, I know a UK fan that used to say the same thing.  Maui was so bad it even made him change his tune.