Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Iufan2324

Tom Crean and his one dimensional players

So I'm sitting here going over the past few years. And I think Tom Crean gets a whole lot of one dimensional players. They either shoot well, can creat their own offense or rebound well. None of them are known defenders and most don't have multiple things they are good at. It is easy to defend teams where there players are only really good at hurting them in one specific way. If you take the one thing they are good at away its makes for average or below average outcomes. So coming out of highschool here's what some of coach creans recruits are known for
Jbj=shooter
Troy=high flyer dunker
Yogi=off the dribble guard (can't pass)
Juwan Morgan= rebounding
Hanner perea=dunker
Zeisloft= shooter
Get my drift here? I could keep going and going. We need players with more arsenals to there games. Yes this team is fun to watch but what's more fun is watching wins.

Lol, just lol. Such a stretch saying Yogi can't pass. This post is hardly worth my time replying to beyond this: You're embarrassing yourself. Please step away from the keyboard.

why resort to personal attacks. Same 4 or 5 people doing this when criticisms are posted. I didn't agree with the post, I skipped over it. I was attacked last week in regards to my worries about having a clutch player and repeatedly for my recruiting concerns.

I don't understand it.

Lol, just lol. Such a stretch saying Yogi can't pass. This post is hardly worth my time replying to beyond this: You're embarrassing yourself. Please step away from the keyboard.

Have you seen his jump passes? Yogi is great he's awesome but passing is far from his strong suit. It's one of his weak parts of his game that being turnovers. His assist to turnover ratio is far from impressive. If he is a great passer why is he playing off ball and not given more ball screens to go create? Like I said yogi is a great player but passing is not his cup of tea.

These players are on a business trip. When I go on a business trip, I take care of business and if there is time then have fun.  IU got to Hawaii and seem to have been all over the place. The players lost the game, but Crean playing tour guide led to it.

I'm trying to think of a Crean recruit who really brought it on both ends at a high level. Vic and who else?

Yes and hard to think of a Crean recruit who was a post player and had somewhat of an offensive game and was elite on defense. CZ is as close as you can get from what I remember

Question, KellyHoosh :

In the half court, does Yogi Ferrell make Indiana a better team and does he get the ball where it needs to go so we first of all get into a good offense and second of all get consistent, quality shots?   

I think Yogi's great in transition.  One of the best Indiana's ever had.  But...I also think he really struggles when the game slows down.  I think he over-dribbles.  I think he looks for his own shot too often and too soon.  I think he tries to create when all he has to do is the simple thing.  I don't know that I'd say he can't pass, but he's not a great passer.   Nor is he a good floor general; but I blame a lot of that on the offense.  I do think he's generally a selfish player, though.

These players are on a business trip. When I go on a business trip, I take care of business and if there is time then have fun. IU got to Hawaii and seem to have been all over the place. The players lost the game, but Crean playing tour guide led to it.

Both have equal fault. How does yogi not dominate and only score 11?

I'm trying to think of a Crean recruit who really brought it on both ends at a high level. Vic and who else?

Zeller did.   I think Hulls generally did, though his defensive ability was limited.  He got a ton of deflections (which is a Crean stat, but also shows activity), and was generally good off the ball.  On the ball....not good, but effort was okay.  Oladipo is by far the benchmark...

Zeller did. I think Hulls generally did, though his defensive ability was limited. He got a ton of deflections (which is a Crean stat, but also shows activity), and was generally good off the ball. On the ball....not good, but effort was okay. Oladipo is by far the benchmark...

Ok hulls could shoot and play mediocre defense. he couldn't shut down the other teams best player I think. Again my point being you shut him down he is unidentifiable in the game..

Ok hulls could shoot and play mediocre defense. he couldn't shut down the other teams best player I think. Again my point being you shut him down he is unidentifiable in the game..

He asked who brought it....and I think Hulls did.   He did the best he could with what he had.  I wasn't answering who can shut down an opposing team's #1.  Crean doesn't focus enough on defense at all to have that kind of kid very often.   Oladipo was an exception.....but most of that was on Oladipo.

I think Yogi's great in transition.  One of the best Indiana's ever had.  But...I also think he really struggles when the game slows down.  I think he over-dribbles.  I think he looks for his own shot too often and too soon.  I think he tries to create when all he has to do is the simple thing.  I don't know that I'd say he can't pass, but he's not a great passer.   Nor is he a good floor general; but I blame a lot of that on the offense.  I do think he's generally a selfish player, though.

I think this paragraph is a byproduct of the 13-14 season. With maybe the exception of Sheehey, who else could we really rely on that year with any consistency? I think all the things you mention were based on Yogi having to be options 1,2,3,and sometimes 4 and they're habits that are tough to break. 

So I'm sitting here going over the past few years. And I think Tom Crean gets a whole lot of one dimensional players. They either shoot well, can creat their own offense or rebound well. None of them are known defenders and most don't have multiple things they are good at. It is easy to defend teams where there players are only really good at hurting them in one specific way. If you take the one thing they are good at away its makes for average or below average outcomes. So coming out of highschool here's what some of coach creans recruits are known for
Jbj=shooter
Troy=high flyer dunker
Yogi=off the dribble guard (can't pass)
Juwan Morgan= rebounding
Hanner perea=dunker
Zeisloft= shooter
Get my drift here? I could keep going and going. We need players with more arsenals to there games. Yes this team is fun to watch but what's more fun is watching wins.

yeah, yogi, the guard who can't pass, who is averaging 7 assists per game.  :scratchhead:

Defense is an issue of effort. Crean teams don't have that on the defensive side of the ball. It's the same old story. You can't rely on one stopper or great athlete to play great defense. The whole team buys in or its a lost cause. This team thinks they can outscore anyone and they will win a lot of games. But will they make the stops they need to late in the conference schedule or the tournament? That's remains to be seen. This should have been a win but it really doesn't mean a whole lot right now. Hopefully it's a tough lesson and they start playing "d" with an edge.

Is it really on the players or on the coach. A great coach can use one dimensional players to his advantage, like pieces to a puzzle. These guys are talented. There isn't a team out there that has a roster full of players that excel at EVERYTHING to do with the game. Each player has his strengths and weaknesses and its up to the coach to put them in the right place and time to use their strengths to the team's advantage. I don't see that here anymore

Is it really on the players or on the coach. A great coach can use one dimensional players to his advantage, like pieces to a puzzle. These guys are talented. There isn't a team out there that has a roster full of players that excel at EVERYTHING to do with the game. Each player has his strengths and weaknesses and its up to the coach to put them in the right place and time to use their strengths to the team's advantage. I don't see that here anymore

some off the ball screens might be nice for our shooters.