Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2016) PF De'Ron Davis to IU

You give him more credit than I.  What sticks in my memory are the final three seasons with double digit losses, the Muhammad recruiting (I don't care if it is a parent, handler or player that instigates the trouble, the head coach should know better), other questionable recruiting, underperfomance of a much hyped 2012 recruiting class, strife amongst the team and transfers.  And I don't by the argument that nothing was ever proven, there was certainly smoke, and the only reason the NCAA never found fire was the ineptitude of their own investigator requiring them to back off.

I just think there are a lot of sour grapes here. People are instantly jumping to the conclusion that Howland must be cheating to get good recruits to MSU. Let alone to get good recruits just on a visit. The guy is a good recruiter. 

Sure. Anything is possible. But would you bet money on it happening?

No way. I said it was unlikely. But, sure would be cool eh?

What's also amazing is that they were able to bring in a 5 star backup option so quickly.  Howland has $omething $pecial to offer!!!

I can't even believe it. There does have to be a point where the NCAA starts to think someone is recruiting way too well right? How could it be believable at all for this to happen naturally? I can buy the Mississippi kids, I can even buy some other kids along for the ride, but eventually it becomes too much. If Tom Crean pulled in the class Howland is in his second year at Indiana, we would have been suspicious of him too. And that's Indiana

I just think there are a lot of sour grapes here. People are instantly jumping to the conclusion that Howland must be cheating to get good recruits to MSU. Let alone to get good recruits just on a visit. The guy is a good recruiter.

What is there to be sour over? Kegler yeah we lost him but it's his hometown and MSU was on him before us. You're acting like Howland is just this unbelievable coach and recruiter. He's at MSU for a reason he's not Coach K. Please tell me why you're acting like he is this coach to be revered?

This is off topic but every time we talk about Howland in this forum all I can think of is the article ESPN wrote about him years ago about how he lost control of the program at UCLA. Kind of a Sampson situation where he didn't care what players did off the court as long as he was successful on the court.

http://espn.go.com/losangeles/ncb/story/_/id/7629031/ucla-bruins-coach-ben-howland-lost-control-highly-recruited-players-according-report

No way. I said it was unlikely. But, sure would be cool eh?

I can't even believe it. There does have to be a point where the NCAA starts to think someone is recruiting way too well right? How could it be believable at all for this to happen naturally? I can buy the Mississippi kids, I can even buy some other kids along for the ride, but eventually it becomes too much. If Tom Crean pulled in the class Howland is in his second year at Indiana, we would have been suspicious of him too. And that's Indiana

Probably going to disagree with me. But I think you're giving way too much credit to this fan base. If Crean had pulled in a class like Howland did his second year then I'd honestly believe the majority would just love it. Look at our current roster, we have guys who have made repeated stupid as heck decisions yet fans still back them. Look at Hanner, people still supported him up until he was finally cut from the team. There were those who jumped off his bandwagon early, but he still had his supporters until he was cut, then it was field day for people. Same with Hollowell. People want to win, on the court, recruiting, and off the court. So far Howland has been a grand slam in recruiting, if he did that here I can't believe that a lot of the people slamming him at MSU would be doing the same because he was at IU. 

looking at his predictions for the 2016 class he is 96 out of 139(69%). the classes before he was in the low 70's at being right

What I have noticed out of Jerry is that he seems to change his picks a lot. If a player is taking a official to Iowa, then Iowa tends to get a pick from him. I get the feeling he plays the system pretty well.

This is off topic but every time we talk about Howland in this forum all I can think of is the article ESPN wrote about him years ago about how he lost control of the program at UCLA. Kind of a Sampson situation where he didn't care what players did off the court as long as he was successful on the court.

http://espn.go.com/losangeles/ncb/story/_/id/7629031/ucla-bruins-coach-ben-howland-lost-control-highly-recruited-players-according-report

Sampson? This sounds a heck of alot like Crean's last couple years.

Probably going to disagree with me. But I think you're giving way too much credit to this fan base. If Crean had pulled in a class like Howland did his second year then I'd honestly believe the majority would just love it. Look at our current roster, we have guys who have made repeated stupid as heck decisions yet fans still back them. Look at Hanner, people still supported him up until he was finally cut from the team. There were those who jumped off his bandwagon early, but he still had his supporters until he was cut, then it was field day for people. Same with Hollowell. People want to win, on the court, recruiting, and off the court. So far Howland has been a grand slam in recruiting, if he did that here I can't believe that a lot of the people slamming him at MSU would be doing the same because he was at IU. 

Nah, you're probably right.

It's easy to forget the posters on sites like this aren't necessarily representative of the fan base. I do think there would be some suspicion, but we would chock it up to the Indiana name being so powerful to draw in this class on it's own. It's just human nature to rationalize away those kinds of negative accusations. The people who said it was suspicious would eventually quit their complaining when we saw some serious results and when the NCAA eventually noticed something wrong we would all wring our hands and talk about how surprised we were and how evil the NCAA is for attacking us. 

The people who don't follow recruiting would never give it a second thought.