Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Walking Boot of Doom

2012-2013 vs. 2015-2016

You have to be able to shoot, we couldn't get good shots off. You can try to break down why but Syracuse was a terrible matchup for us. Blame Crean all you want, he could've done more to find an answer, but 6'0" guards can't do anything to a zone with the shortest defender at 6'5".

You have to be able to create good shots and when you don't keep the defense moving that's hard to do. You can say we would've had better looks if the guards were taller all you want but we did a bad job of creating those shots.

All I'm saying is that the guards being 6'0 is hardly the only reason we looked incompetent.

You have to be able to shoot, we couldn't get good shots off. You can try to break down why but Syracuse was a terrible matchup for us. Blame Crean all you want, he could've done more to find an answer, but 6'0" guards can't do anything to a zone with the shortest defender at 6'5".

Peyton Siva and Russ Smith disagree.

Crean faced them every season in the Big East so he was far from unfamiliar. He didn't do well then either.

Completely new team. Just because he faced the zone doesn't mean he was an expert on it l. Every team runs it with slight changes. I do agree Crean should've had them better prepared, but I think we play them 10 times we lose.

That's 19-63, not sure that means they handled it pretty well. Pitino did a better job of overcoming this problem though then Crean. Of course Pitino had more time and played more often.

I didn't say they handled it pretty well. I said they would disagree with the premise that 6' guards "can't do anything" against that zone. In the 3 games Smith averaged 17 and Siva averaged 6 assists, won twice and lost by 2. That is something.

Was it a bad match-up, sure. Insurmountable, no.

Sorry for the thread hijack mods.

The 2012-2013 team had the 3rd rated adjusted offense and 28th adjusted defense according to kenpom. I can see this years team match or surpass the 2012 offensive rating but I just dont know if there is anyway they can bring their defensive rating down to 28th from the 200's. Because of the defensive part of the equation I will chose the 2012-2013 team.

The 2012-2013 team had the 3rd rated adjusted offense and 28th adjusted defense according to kenpom. I can see this years team match or surpass the 2012 offensive rating but I just dont know if there is anyway they can bring their defensive rating down to 28th from the 200's. Because of the defensive part of the equation I will chose the 2012-2013 team.

This is the big question. To be honest though, I'm having a hard time seeing why the 2015-2016 can't have similar defensive success. Besides Vic, no one on the team was an exceptional defender, and they playing under the same system and same coach. 

I don't expect this team to be nearly as good defensively, it's just hard to determine why.