Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

IU Will Be More Successful If???

Well Thomas Bryant is the obvious answer to me, IU lacked any legit big men last season and Bryant has a chance to give us a really good player at that spot.

However one guy I think is really important is Bielfeldt. Bryant is going to be good imo, but he's a freshmen so he may struggle with fouls and such throughout the season so we need the depth to be there for situations when Bryant may struggle. Bielfeldt is the guy we need to play well when that happens. Having 2 legit big men would give us a lot of options we didn't have last season. 

The way Jaybob phrased his post made me feel like I was an undergraduate again waiting for the blue books to be passed out for the exam.   [Do they even still use blue books?]

I'm inclined to agree with Brass that JBJ on the defensive end is a real key.  We know he can score but on a team of poor defenders he was one of the poorest.  If he can keep his man outside and prevent the drive down the lane it will really take the pressure off TB and our other bigs and help keep them out of foul trouble.  And yes, you could probably replace JBJ's name with Yogi, Rojo, etc., but we really need JBJ to be more than a one dimensional player this season.

The way Jaybob phrased his post made me feel like I was an undergraduate again waiting for the blue books to be passed out for the exam. [Do they even still use blue books?]

Just had one the other day. Did NOT go well.

Just had one the other day. Did NOT go well.

Hated essay exams.  I struggled to fill a couple of pages and then there were the smart alecks going up and getting a 2nd or even 3rd blue book.  Surely they were only writing a sentence or two on each page weren't they?

The way Jaybob phrased his post made me feel like I was an undergraduate again waiting for the blue books to be passed out for the exam.   [Do they even still use blue books?]

I'm inclined to agree with Brass that JBJ on the defensive end is a real key.  We know he can score but on a team of poor defenders he was one of the poorest.  If he can keep his man outside and prevent the drive down the lane it will really take the pressure off TB and our other bigs and help keep them out of foul trouble.  And yes, you could probably replace JBJ's name with Yogi, Rojo, etc., but we really need JBJ to be more than a one dimensional player this season.

The reason I singled out JBJ over Yogi was mostly because I think that with Yogis physical tools, his defensive potential is limited.  JBJ has so many physical tools he isn't utilizing.  But honestly Yogi, Troy, Rojo and JBJ all could stand to improve on that front and had things they could do to improve.  JBJ just has the most room. 

This is the year Yogi has all of the pieces he needs as well as being in a position to lead. Last team he legitimately could play a true PG style under was his freshman year. I think Yogi shines and leads this team to a final four this year. He's the most under appreciated IU player of my generation IMHO.

Yogi, this team lacks leadership and Yogi has to step up. The pieces are in place for this team to achieve success we haven't had at IU for awhile. However, if Yogi can't step up as a leader on the court we won't reach those goals. Demanding teammates to play defense, as well as defending at a high level himself. Focusing the team when they're down on the road or in a tough spot. Yogi has the experience but needs to translate that to a consistent effort all season.

@MikeMillerHT: FWIW, looks like Indiana officially added Brebeuf walk-on Quentin Taylor to the roster today. He dressed, but didn't play Tuesday. #iubb

This guy☝️☝☝☝

Just kidding. Thomas Bryant is my answer. We need him on offensive glass, defensive glass, controlling the paint, commanding double teams, scoring, etc... The biggest difference between a 7-10 seed NCAA team and a 2-4 seed NCAA team. I hope. He's a bit awkward but his competitiveness, nose for ball, and size are phenomenal. And that OOP!! Goodness me.

We lived and died by Troy's game last year. The teams success mirrored his. When he showed up, the team won. When he disappeared and committed too many turnovers, the team lost. I had high expectations coming into this year for him, especially after hearing so much about him this offseason. Wasn't impressed last night but I hope it was just first game jitters

We lived and died by Troy's game last year. The teams success mirrored his. When he showed up, the team won. When he disappeared and committed too many turnovers, the team lost. I had high expectations coming into this year for him, especially after hearing so much about him this offseason. Wasn't impressed last night but I hope it was just first game jitters

Ditto for JBJ. JBJ has to play better D this year if we want to win the B1G or make it past the Sweet 16. He seemed to get beat quite often against uOttawa.

Troy. We need him to play under control. We lost to Wichita State imo because he played too fast. He has a tendency to try to juke out his defender...and wind up on the floor without the ball. If he plays under control he can be a lottery pick. If he does not, we'll be a middle B1G team.

JBJ and Yogi make players around them better.  If they focus on overall offense and not just getting theirs, we will have a great year.  They have the ball in their hands so much that they can dictate the offensive flow of the game.  James had 2 back to back awful possessions in the exhibition forcing shots while guarded while teammates were wide open.  Then he hit a 3 on the next possession and everything was fine.  I wish Crean would jerk his chain when he does that.  Last year during the pre-BIG season, Yogi, JBJ and Troy would dominate lesser opponents on their own instead of playing team ball.  That won't work in the BIG. We have to play 5 on 5 to get the most out of this team. Defense doesn't have to be great because of our scoring ability, but it has to be much better than last year.

I believe, Yogi. Its his senior season. He needs to step up and command on the floor. He needs to get the ball to the correct spots, he needs to challenge everyone to step up on defense.

I agree with this.  Yogi will get his points.  He's too good and too quick not to.  With this team, he needs to be the point guard.  The floor general.  He can't look for his own shot all the time when he thinks IU is in trouble.  He can't over-dribble.   He has to find shooters and get everyone in the right position.  He has to keep everyone moving.  He has to lead.  Less quick jump shots, less off the dribble, and more of his playing like a point guard and a leader.  He has to make everyone better FIRST.  Then look for his own points.    

IU will be more successful if it's leaders (Yogi, Troy, JBJ) commit to making defense a priority, not an afterthought. Thomas Bryant is great, but he'll be riding the pine a lot in foul trouble if those three continue to take plays off on defense and not commit to focusing on it big time.