Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

Let's Talk Hockey

The St Louis Blues just ended the season with a blowout win in game 7 of the Stanley Cup.  

St Louis is an amazing story this year.  Early this season they fired their coach Mike Yeo because the team was underperforming.  They promoted Craig Berube as an interim coach and they hit dead last in the entire NHL on January 3rd of this year.  They then went on to win the Stanley Cup.  I know quick turnaround stories are taboo around here, but I hope we can all appreciate the storybook season.  You think the Blues will promote Coach Berube to permanent status now lol

I need help.  Live hockey to me is cool.  I like it.  I was spoiled and my first live hockey game as an adult was the Frozen Four in Cincinnati.   Seats on the glass.   Have learned to like other seats in live arenas, but I can't get into it on TV.   Is there a trick to it?    Something I should be watching in particular?

Way to go Blues!!! Big Blues fan and couldn’t be happier right now. Such an incredible story/journey as Josh said, all leading to winning their first ever Stanley Cup!

Old Friend, I had to go to multiple games for me to truly appreciate it, but also made sure I watched on TV to stay into it. I love hockey, and been a Blues fan the last 5 years!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Been trying to get next to hockey since we moved to St Louis in 2012. Just can’t get there. The problem is whenever the Blues are on so are 5 basketball games I’d rather watch. That being said, a Stanley Cup run is unassailably cool and a great unifying community event.

This interview is legendary.  Nikita Kucherov is one of the best players in the world, an NHL MVP.  He has come off of two Stanley Cup trophies, and has set playoff records not seen since Wayne Gretzky hit them.  He's normally a very quiet guy with very short answers to questions.  This interview was after celebrating the win with the team, drinking many beers out of the Stanley Cup.  He crushes a Bud Light during the interview.

A little info for those not hockey savvy, he starts talking about his goalie "Vasy" who just won the playoffs MVP even though he didn't win the award for best goalie in hockey (the Vezna).  Then he goes after Montreal fans who booed him every time he touched the puck (as the fans of teams do to the best player on the other team)

Since this interview he has picked up a sponsorship for Bud Light, has created a new catchphrase (#1 bull$hit), and angered two fanbases (Las Vegas and Montreal).  It's wonderful:

WATCH: Shirtless Nikita Kucherov drinks Bud Lite during Stanley Cup press conference - YouTube

This interview is legendary.  Nikita Kucherov is one of the best players in the world, an NHL MVP.  He has come off of two Stanley Cup trophies, and has set playoff records not seen since Wayne Gretzky hit them.  He's normally a very quiet guy with very short answers to questions.  This interview was after celebrating the win with the team, drinking many beers out of the Stanley Cup.  He crushes a Bud Light during the interview.
A little info for those not hockey savvy, he starts talking about his goalie "Vasy" who just won the playoffs MVP even though he didn't win the award for best goalie in hockey (the Vezna).  Then he goes after Montreal fans who booed him every time he touched the puck (as the fans of teams do to the best player on the other team)
Since this interview he has picked up a sponsorship for Bud Light, has created a new catchphrase (#1 bull$hit), and angered two fanbases (Las Vegas and Montreal).  It's wonderful:

Love this. Haha. Hockey guys, man. Reminds me of my hockey buddies. Tough, no nonsense. Curse like sailors. Lol

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

20 minutes ago, Josh said:

Good for you.  At 19-30 the Devils are not an easy team to support

I finally live in a state with a team so I feel like I have to at least try to root for them haha. They don’t make it very easy, though. The last game I went to they got destroyed by the Maple Leafs.

13 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I finally live in a state with a team so I feel like I have to at least try to root for them haha. They don’t make it very easy, though. 

Hockey is such a great sport to follow.  I'd put it at 1C tied with football and basketball 1A and 1B.  Heck, with as bad as IU has been over the last *forever*, I might even put it 1A and 1B with football with basketball coming in 2nd.

Enjoy your game

6 minutes ago, Josh said:

Hockey is such a great sport to follow.  I'd put it at 1C tied with football and basketball 1A and 1B.  Heck, with as bad as IU has been over the last *forever*, I might even put it 1A and 1B with football with basketball coming in 2nd.

Enjoy your game

Thanks man! 

Yeah I like it a lot. The amount of skill it requires is crazy. I started getting into hockey when I was in law school. My school has a real solid team and the games were always a blast to go to. I wish IU had a varsity team. With the sizable east coast student population I feel like it’d be well supported. 

7 minutes ago, Josh said:

I'd also like to add that hockey is the best sport to watch live.  It's the most non stop action in sports imo

I’m not a hockey “fan” at all. My extent of knowledge of the sport comes from playing NHL video games. That being said, you’re absolutely right here. Outside of some really great atmosphere games from my time at IU and my annual trip to the Indy 500, the most fun I’ve ever had at a sporting event was a regular season Blackhawks/Maple Leafs game. The atmosphere is great by itself, but TV doesn’t do justice to how fast and physical the sport is. It’s amazing to watch. If I lived closer to a pro team, I’d likely become a fan and attend multiple games a year.