Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

MartintheMopMan

Indiana defeats Ottawa 82-54 - Post-Game Thread

Looking at the box score---I like the 9 rebounds from Troy too to go along with the high offensive rebounding numbers of Max and TB.  Good way to start the season with a 28 point win over the #1 ranked team in Canada who has already played several games.  And--with all their offensive firepower to hold them to 54 points is nice. Lots to like here. Off to a great start!  :good:

1)  Bryant is a freshman.  He'll have nights like that.  But he'll still be helpful, even if he can't throw it in the ocean.

2)  Not many minutes, but I liked what I saw from Morgan.  He's bigger than I thought, and I think he'll help sooner than later.

3)  Bielfelt looked good.   Will be interested to see if it translates against better opponents.  It did not at Michigan.

4)  Johnson moves better now than a year ago.  

5)  So does Blackmon.

Looking at the box score---I like the 9 rebounds from Troy too to go along with the high offensive rebounding numbers of Max and TB. Good way to start the season with a 28 point win over the #1 ranked team in Canada who has already played several games. And--with all their offensive firepower to hold them to 54 points is nice. Lots to like here. Off to a great start! :good:

I just went back and watched it again already lol. Ottawa missed a lot of open shots, and I mean a lot. So our defense wasn't that outstanding but at the same time this team does spread the floor surprisingly really well so credit to them for that.

Also, with our great guard play and Troy too. I'd like to see us be more aggressive at attacking the basket to get more FT opportunities. We shot 9 freebies for the game with like 5 of those coming with less than 2 mins remaining in 1st half. Need to improve that as well

I hope we are seeing the first signs of an improved defense.  Ottawa is known for their 3-point shooting. They usually make over 13 3-pointers a game at an over 40% clip. Tonight--IU must have made taking away the 3-point shot a point of emphasis.  Ottawa only made five 3-pointers on the night out of 26 attempts for 19%.  They were 2/11 on 3's in the first half and 3/15 in the second half.  In fact, I read they hit their three 3-pointers in the second half in a series of 5 possessions so we shut them out the rest of the way after that flurry.

On the flip side IU shot over 40% from 3 with Yogi and JBJ each hitting back-to-back 3's in the second half.  I suspect we will see that quite a bit this year!  Lots to work on--but job well done to start the season.   

I just went back and watched it again already lol. Ottawa missed a lot of open shots, and I mean a lot. So our defense wasn't that outstanding but at the same time this team does spread the floor surprisingly really well so credit to them for that.

Also, with our great guard play and Troy too. I'd like to see us be more aggressive at attacking the basket to get more FT opportunities. We shot 9 freebies for the game with like 5 of those coming with less than 2 mins remaining in 1st half. Need to improve that as well

I prefer to see the glass half full instead of half empty. Some of their poor 3-point shooting may have been luck but it was so consistently poor from start to finish I think it's only fair to credit our defensive game plan.

I do agree with you on the need to create more FT opportunities by driving the ball. We have the athleticism and speed to get by defenders and make them foul.  Hopefully, that area will improve.

Wasn't a perfect game but I saw a lot of great things. Especially how they came out in the second half and really sured things up. They came out with the killer instinct during their run and reign of threes. Its funny though I went over to Inside the Hall to check out what people had to say over there and its mostly doom and gloom about the team. 

This is a top 5-10 team that is rightly ranked 15th due to the defensive question marks leftover from last year. My expectations are they should contend for the championship. Senior PG, one of the best shooting teams in the country, and four potential NBA players in the starting lineup. Not too much hype going into the season, which is a good thing, but the team needs to believe in itself that this could (should) be a special season. 

One thing we can all agree on and be happy about is that it sounds like we came out of this game decently healthy.  I don't know about you but when I heard that Yogi "dived out of bounds for a loose ball and may be injured" ---my heart skipped a beat.  Fortunately he was not injured ---and shock paddles and defibrillators all over Hoosier nation were not needed!  It was great seeing Hartman back as he will also be a weapon as soon as he shakes the rust off from his rib injury.

This is a top 5-10 team that is rightly ranked 15th due to the defensive question marks leftover from last year. My expectations are they should contend for the championship. Senior PG, one of the best shooting teams in the country, and four potential NBA players in the starting lineup. Not too much hype going into the season, which is a good thing, but the team needs to believe in itself that this could (should) be a special season. 

THIS!  Great post that sums up exactly how I feel!  Maui will give us a great idea where we stand early in the season.

How exciting to watch IU basketball again!

Bryant is big and active, very unpolished.  He missed way too many bunnies.  Isn't "smooth", but is very active around the ball.

Troy is Troy.  I wish he'd slow down sometimes instead of driving himself into trouble.  Still probably our second best player.

Bielfeldt has a good shooting stroke.  I didn't expect that.

Adjustments at halftime that improved our play!   :good:

I never noticed us changing defenses mid possession.  Another big thumbs up

THIS! Great post that sums up exactly how I feel! Maui will give us a great idea where we stand early in the season.

Which is another reason why I love the tough non-conference schedule. Even in the exhibition games we're playing good teams in their respective divisions. So far, cut the turnovers and we look really good. But I guess we'll see........