Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

WayneFleekHoosier

Prepare early for a meltdown!!!

I agree if Pitino leaves that means they're in some serious **** with NCAA, not a lot of coaches like to take that on.

It's funny. I think Brass Cannon meant it the exact opposite way. We're the infants because Louisville is currently in the midst of a series of sustained success and we're still struggling to pull together a complete team for a year.

But, you're right. It's unlikely to me Pitino will leave without some NCAA discipline or serious investigation going on. That will certainly make Louisville less attractive. It's the exact kind of desperate search for a respected program that keeps giving guys like Howland second chances.

Except the NCAA isn't going to give them a real punishment.  Real punishments mean vacating wins, in this case that would almost certainly means vacating a national championship.

As Syracuse showed us(cheated long before their National Championship yet vacated wins back to the day after they won one.), and UNC will eventually show us the NCAA isn't going to do that. 

They are going to slap the university on the wrist, ensure Pitino is fired and then quietly sweep it under the rug.

The really crappy thing for us if we do fire Crean is that louisville will probably also be looking for a coach. 

If your scenario happens that would be ideal for IU.  No coach wants to replace a legend. You want to be the one after the first replacement. This is all assuming if people consider Pitino a legend.

Except the NCAA isn't going to give them a real punishment.  Real punishments mean vacating wins, in this case that would almost certainly means vacating a national championship.

As Syracuse showed us(cheated long before their National Championship yet vacated wins back to the day after they won one.), and UNC will eventually show us the NCAA isn't going to do that. 

They are going to slap the university on the wrist, ensure Pitino is fired and then quietly sweep it under the rug.

I wouldn't consider "ensure Pitino is fired" to be a light punishment or the situation being swept under the rug.... To me that is the absolute worst possible punishment for UofL and their fans... It doesn't matter if the NCAA vacates the national championship and doesn't recognize it... All the Players, fans, recruits, etc all still recognize it... and to vacate it means they put an * in the record books with a notation of what the * refers to.... It happened in the past and there is nothing the present or future can do to remove it from history.

I wouldn't consider "ensure Pitino is fired" to be a light punishment or the situation being swept under the rug.... To me that is the absolute worst possible punishment for UofL and their fans... It doesn't matter if the NCAA vacates the national championship and doesn't recognize it... All the Players, fans, recruits, etc all still recognize it... and to vacate it means they put an * in the record books with a notation of what the * refers to.... It happened in the past and there is nothing the present or future can do to remove it from history.

I agree with BC the only real way to "punish" things that happened in the past is vacating wins. Though, it has to accompany punishments with teeth so the institution itself is punished.

But, you're totally right about how people don't ever remember wins were vacated. Did you know we tied to win the Big Ten regular season in 1995-96 because Michigan's forfeited games changed the standings and pushed us up? No? Of course you didn't. It's in the distant past and no one cares anymore.

It's funny. I think Brass Cannon meant it the exact opposite way. We're the infants because Louisville is currently in the midst of a series of sustained success and we're still struggling to pull together a complete team for a year.

But, you're right. It's unlikely to me Pitino will leave without some NCAA discipline or serious investigation going on. That will certainly make Louisville less attractive. It's the exact kind of desperate search for a respected program that keeps giving guys like Howland second chances.

I know I was being sarcastic with the I agree.

I think the best thing about this thread is it allowed our "meltdown" to occur in documented fashion 1-2 weeks prior to the event.  Pretty easy to take the news since the "experts" were right all along.

Now IF DeRon Davis picks MSU tomorrow, an actual, literal MELTDOWN might occur.  Lets hope not.

I also think IF we get Davis we need to get 1 more impact guy in the class.  I'm think more along the lines of Rawle or Thon type impact. 

BB would be a nice piece and I really want him but he is a Rojo type guard with more explosiveness so we could live without him. 

Again, assuming we get Davis, what we really need is a replacement for Troy.  Rawle would be the absolute perfect fit, for a 3 guard lineup.

Can't help but wonder why we continue to see long time recruits get cold feet with Crean.

And yes, I would expect a total meltdown if we miss on Davis.

Can you explain the first point further? What makes you think kegler got cold feet with crean?

Davis is getting cold feet?

Probably referring to the fact that we were long time favorites with Davis and it is now 50/50 the night before his announcement. I personally think that has little to do with Crean and more to do with the class MSU/Howland is putting together but what do I know?

This morning there was some positive chatter for IU fans, this afternoon has brought some MSU rumblings. 

In reality, we'll know definitively in less than 24 hours.

Probably referring to the fact that we were long time favorites with Davis and it is now 50/50 the night before his announcement. I personally think that has little to do with Crean and more to do with the class MSU/Howlans is putting together but what do I know?

This morning there was some positive chatter for IU fans, this afternoon has brought some MSU rumblings. 

In reality, we'll know definitively in less than 24 hours.

Yea, pretty much. Arguably our #1 target in 2016 and we'd been at the top so long. I'm still fairly confident we land Davis but when his hs coach comes out and says MSU made huge strides over the weekend and Deron hasn't made up his mind yet....

Yea, pretty much. Arguably our #1 target in 2016 and we'd been at the top so long. I'm still fairly confident we land Davis but when his hs coach comes out and says MSU made huge strides over the weekend and Deron hasn't made up his mind yet....

Yes, because if he comes out and says ok we are for sure IU it won't kill his moment. But hey many recruits come out day after last OV and set a date.