Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

WayneFleekHoosier

Prepare early for a meltdown!!!

This is why you need to be able to recruit your own turf. Hopefully Eron Gordon still likes us, because if our class ends up being Gelon, Jones and maybe Brown then there's no way Crean can survive here. 

And I really don't want to slam Crean for this, because I'm sure he's worked as hard as he can, but this is why having an elite coach with an elite resumé is so important. If Crean had multiple Final Fours and made the tournament every year while always finishing near the top of the Big Ten, do you think these guys would be leaning toward MSU? Crean's job is on the line and everyone knows it. Howland is just getting started at MSU and will face very little pressure to win there; basketball's not even second fiddle. After their football season is over, their fans are more interested in when baseball begins. 

This is why you need to be able to recruit your own turf. Hopefully Eron Gordon still likes us, because if our class ends up being Gelon, Jones and maybe Brown then there's no way Crean can survive here.

And I really don't want to slam Crean for this, because I'm sure he's worked as hard as he can, but this is why having an elite coach with an elite resumé is so important. If Crean had multiple Final Fours and made the tournament every year while always finishing near the top of the Big Ten, do you think these guys would be leaning toward MSU? Crean's job is on the line and everyone knows it. Howland is just getting started at MSU and will face very little pressure to win there; basketball's not even second fiddle. After their football season is over, their fans are more interested in when baseball begins.

Not even I would question how hard he works.

If after all the work we have put in on Davis if we lost him because of negative recruitment there can really only be 2 options.  Give Crean another ridiculous contract guaranteeing hes here to stay for another 3 to 4 years or get a new coach. 

In other words, we have only one option: get a new coach. 

I've never liked the argument that a coach needs a long contract to help him recruit. If you find yourself saying this about your coach, that's one good way to know you've got a dud on your hands. Winning coaches don't need long contracts because winning coaches don't get fired. If it reaches this point, the coach in question should probably just be let go and the longer contract only makes it more expensive. Why try to convince recruits that a mediocre coach isn't a mediocre coach? Will that fool them? 

In other words, we have only one option: get a new coach. 

I've never liked the argument that a coach needs a long contract to help him recruit. If you find yourself saying this about your coach, that's one good way to know you've got a dud on your hands. Winning coaches don't need long contracts because winning coaches don't get fired. If it reaches this point, the coach in question should probably just be let go and the longer contract only makes it more expensive. Why try to convince recruits that a mediocre coach isn't a mediocre coach? Will that fool them? 

I agree, although I think I might add more to this train of thought in the melt down thread on the general board.  Getting a little off topic

Well it looks like theres a very real chance we are losing Kegler and Davis to MSU. 

If this is the case, its time to get a new coach.  If Crean can't recruit hes done,  Hes a poor mans Cailipari, not as good a coach and not as good a recruiter.  Hes simply not a good enough coach to win games with inferior talent.

I have said all along that Creans standard for keeping his job should be Elite 8 + great recruiting class.  Its looking like he is whiffing on the latter, and I have very little faith in his ability to get us to former. 

I know people are mad at me for looking ahead and being worried about next season but until we get perennial good teams and perennial good players and I don't know how people aren't worried.

We seem to have 3 year builds with Crean to field a contender.
Many seem content with that, including our AD. The Landscape of NCAA basketball doesn't have to be that way. Crean used to be a heralded recruiter. He is losing his stripes.

If he had proven he could win with anything I wouldn't worry but we all watched years 1-3 with Crean, the most underwhelming assembly of talent and success in Indiana's History.

Edits- oops, this needs transferred too. Sorry in advance.

Well it looks like theres a very real chance we are losing Kegler and Davis to MSU.

If this is the case, its time to get a new coach. If Crean can't recruit hes done, Hes a poor mans Cailipari, not as good a coach and not as good a recruiter. Hes simply not a good enough coach to win games with inferior talent.

I have said all along that Creans standard for keeping his job should be Elite 8 + great recruiting class. Its looking like he is whiffing on the latter, and I have very little faith in his ability to get us to former.

Good god, can we quit saying Calapari is a decent coach, that man is the all-time car salesman and can't coach any better then Crean.

If this is the case, its time to get a new coach.  If Crean can't recruit hes done,  Hes a poor mans Cailipari, not as good a coach and not as good a recruiter.  Hes simply not a good enough coach to win games with inferior talent.

I have said all along that Creans standard for keeping his job should be Elite 8 + great recruiting class.  Its looking like he is whiffing on the latter, and I have very little faith in his ability to get us to former. 

I read only 3330 fans showed up for MSU's preseason practice---while Davis was there.  If he and Kegler want to go for that---then have at it.  I just have to believe they are both smarter than that and at least Davis will pick the stripes--if not both.  There is NO comparison between IU Basketball and Mississippi State Basketball. Forgive me---but if they both end up there I will always wonder if $omething else was at play. 

I read only 3330 fans showed up for MSU's preseason practice---while Davis was there. If he and Kegler want to go for that---then have at it. I just have to believe they are both smarter than that and at least Davis will pick the stripes--if not both. There is NO comparison between IU Basketball and Mississippi State Basketball. Forgive me---but if they both end up there I will always wonder if $omething else was at play.

Let's say you were looking at two programs. Both out of state (so you did not grow up dreaming of playing for one of them). As you near your decision some of the negative recruiting about whether CTC will be at IU for your 2,3 or 4 years begins to really look realistic. Meanwhile your second choice is an upstart program that is bringing in a lot of talent with a coach that coached in 3 FFs. Sure he had some baggage too but he is hungry now to rebuild his rep and build a winner.

So if we had 11k show up vs them having 3k but the pitch you get is that as you build this the 3k will grow every year there is an appeal Especially when the bigger more traditional school has much of its fan base questioning their coach.

And they are looking for future teammates that they like, a coaching staff that they respect and like, chicks a-go-go, a campus that feels "big time", proximity to family and friends, and lots of ESPN-style exposure.

Finally. Stu is getting to the meat of the issue.

Anyone know how Miss St chicks are? Do they have the hot southern thing going on where they seem totally get-able because they have a stupid accent? I know Indiana has trouble competing with the chicks of like, Arizona State, but where do Mississippi cuties go? LSU?

Finally. Stu is getting to the meat of the issue.

Anyone know how Miss St chicks are? Do they have the hot southern thing going on where they seem totally get-able because they have a stupid accent? I know Indiana has trouble competing with the chicks of like, Arizona State, but where do Mississippi cuties go? LSU?

Southern belles.

I think it's getting pretty clear that none of these guys will be at IU next year. I really hope I'm wrong. Also PU seems to be on Brown very hard. Let's not lose him to those guys. Please lord.