Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

davewood

Hoosier hysteria

First off it was a joke relating to the fact that a lot of people had said it. I never believed it till now. Also I think Paul George is a lame comparison. PG was known as defender coming out. Troy's yet to be a good defender. Comparing numbers means very little too. PG does things that don't show up on a stat sheet.

It always strikes me as funny (joke?)  when guys take a positive post about anything and turn it into something like this, especially when you have to make things up to do it.  I do love revisionist history.  PG was not known as a defender at all, or certainly in no greater way than Williams is now.  (His team was 15-18 and gave up 72 PPG in a bad league.  He must not have been that great.)  He was known as a highly skilled, yet raw athletic talent with upside (sounds familiar), and you can look that one up almost verbatim relative to what Bird and Jim O'Brien (who couldn't have cared less about defense) said about him.  He didn't even average 2 steals a game in college; and was voted "most entertaining player" in the west region his sophomore season because he was a hot dog.    He didn't commit to defense until he got to the NBA when he realized he needed to if he wanted to play more; and came back his second season a different player.

Williams DOESN'T do things that don't show up on a stat sheet?   Oh.  Okay.   :scratchhead: Numbers comparisons mean very little?  Really?  You don't think numbers in the Big Ten are relevant to similar numbers at Fresno State?    The problem with posts like this are you can't be proven wrong for several months.  And when you are, you;ll be long gone.  You really believe George was known as an elite defender after his sophomore year at Fresno State?  That's pretty funny.  A joke, even.

It always strikes me as funny (joke?) when guys take a positive post about anything and turn it into something like this, especially when you have to make things up to do it. I do love revisionist history. PG was not known as a defender at all, or certainly in no greater way than Williams is now. (His team was 15-18 and gave up 72 PPG in a bad league. He must not have been that great.) He was known as a highly skilled, yet raw athletic talent with upside (sounds familiar), and you can look that one up almost verbatim relative to what Bird and Jim O'Brien (who couldn't have cared less about defense) said about him. He didn't even average 2 steals a game in college; and was voted "most entertaining player" in the west region his sophomore season because he was a hot dog. He didn't commit to defense until he got to the NBA when he realized he needed to if he wanted to play more; and came back his second season a different player.

Williams DOESN'T do things that don't show up on a stat sheet? Oh. Okay. :scratchhead: Numbers comparisons mean very little? Really? You don't think numbers in the Big Ten are relevant to similar numbers at Fresno State? The problem with posts like this are you can't be proven wrong for several months. And when you are, you;ll be long gone. You really believe George was known as an elite defender after his sophomore year at Fresno State? That's pretty funny. A joke, even.

Putting words in my mouth. First off where am I going that I will be long gone? Also I never once said elite defender. He was a better defender than Troy as a sophomore. Stats don't tell the whole story. Never said Troy doesn't do things that don't show up I said pg did. You were the one who took my post stating something good about Troy Williams and had to take it too far and bring Paul George into it for some reason? It's irrelevant. You're throwing stuff out there that I never said.

Actually, that's been said several times before. All he needed to do was solidify his jumper, and it looks like he's done that. 6'8" guys who can get to the rim, handle the ball, shoot it from out on the floor, and guard the perimeter are generally pretty highly regarded; and Williams has the tools. Right now, for example, Williams is ranked #3 by CBS sports relative to small forwards. There's no reason Williams can't be similar to Paul George in a few years. George's college numbers were better than Troy's, but not by much. 15.5 PPG (sophomore year) to 13.0. 6.7 RPG to 5.9 RPG. Williams is a better shooter, percentage wise (.552 to .485), Williams doesn't turn it over as much as George did; and he's a terrific athlete playing against much better competition than George did.

If GM's had it to do over again, George would have been a top 10 pick, and I think all that held him back was Fresno State. Williams could be a top 10 pick before it's over.

Also you said Williams is a better shooter. Looking at percentages sophomore seasons yes Troy is 5% better. PG shot 167 3's his sophomore season while Troy shot 13. Also pg shot 45% as a freshman shooting 140 3's whole Troy shooting under 30 threes. So to say Troy is a better shooter based off his two seasons and ONE scrimmage/shooting contest is crazy. In a career average pg is shooting 40% in his two college seasons while Troy is shooting 33% on 260 less shots than Paul George. There's some stats

1. .@IAmCattSadler tell Hoosier Nation that I said hello and I love them! #ImCodyZellerAndImAHoosier

More

Hoosier Hysteria was always one of my favorite nights at IU! It's truly a celebration of the special tradition of Indiana basketball!

More

Should of stuck around :rtfm:

Didn't get to read through the whole thread, but here's a few thoughts from my perspective...

- Troy Williams seems to have improved his shooting touch. He doesn't rise too much on his jumper, but seems to have developed a nice touch. This should bring out his defenders a lot more this year (i.e. Purdue, MSU.) I could see him having an Oladipo-type OFFENSIVE game this season. Like Victor, he has a great "nose" for the ball. We'll have to see how well of a defender he's become, but he's becoming a very good college player while still oozing potential. In my opinion, he's easily one of our two best players on the team. Easily.

- Thomas Bryant was a man among boys against our other post players. I would have been more interested to watch Bielfeldt guard him as opposed to Morgan, but still. Very impressive. Strong and aggressive. I'll be watching his conditioning as the season rolls along. I noticed he was substituted quite a bit in the short scrimmage, so we'll see what happens in the future. Like we were with Zeller and Vonleh, we're a completely different team with Bryant on the floor.

- None of Yogi, Blackmon, Johnson or Zeisloft looked all too spectacular to me from the scrimmage. But honestly, I wasn't focusing as much on them because we already know who they are and what they're capable of. They'll challenge for the title of being the best backcourt in the conference this year. (Side note: I have never really noticed how much Blackmon jumps forward with his jump shot. But looking at some of his highlights from last year, I guess he does it with some regularity.)

- OG and Morgan are definitely young, but both may have promise for the future. At a first glance, I am a bit more impressed with OG. Has a nice frame to work with and plenty of room for growth. Could be an athletic and versatile "4" that Crean seems to covet. I'm a bit more unsure as to where Morgan fits at the moment. He may have to same sort of potential that OG has, but Hysteria featured him in the post as more of a "5" and I'm not sure he's anywhere near ready for that position from a size or skill standpoint. However, he did seem to run the floor nicely for a post player, which will be effective when we're able to push the pace. The key will be slotting these two players in positions where they can succeed. I'd hate to see either at the "5." Just make sure Bryant and Bielfeldt stay healthy so we don't have to worry about that.

- Priller had a very nice "and 1." But I would be extremely surprised if he logs any significant minutes this year.

As of now, I think we see a starting lineup of Yogi, Blackmon, Johnson, Williams and Bryant. You'll see Zeisloft, Hartman and Bielfeldt off the bench every game. Therefore, I think we're "8 deep" in the sense that we can throw those guys out there and never be overmatched. The key will be how quickly OG and Morgan develop and if they can find an effective role, perhaps something a la Hartman or Holt last season.

Also you said Williams is a better shooter. Looking at percentages sophomore seasons yes Troy is 5% better. PG shot 167 3's his sophomore season while Troy shot 13. Also pg shot 45% as a freshman shooting 140 3's whole Troy shooting under 30 threes. So to say Troy is a better shooter based off his two seasons and ONE scrimmage/shooting contest is crazy. In a career average pg is shooting 40% in his two college seasons while Troy is shooting 33% on 260 less shots than Paul George. There's some stats

Williams shot a higher % from the floor than George did.  That's just a fact.   Spin it however you want to.  I didn't say he was a better jump shooter.   You also said my comparison to Paul George wasn't relevant, so I'll have to point to a couple of guys who get paid to analyze college basketball.  Maybe you know more than they do.  Maybe you don't.  But just in case they know what they're talking about, take a read :

http://iusportcom.com/iuvarsitysports/iubasketball/troy-williams-makes-huge-jump-in-nba-draft-boards/

Don't look now, but DraftExpress has him (Williams) top 20 in the 2016 draft.