Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

WORLD SERIES

Of course. I would say yes, but to how much they matter I don't know. Kershaw won last year on less Wins, less losses and a lot less innings. It was all about the ERA and strikeouts. Which is why I don't know for sure who'll win an don't think it will be a no brainer. I can see a very close race with 1st place votes being split almost evenly.

Actually his FIP was even more dominant last year. That's why he was the MVP. Nobody had seen a season like that.

Actually his FIP was even more dominant last year. That's why he was the MVP. Nobody had seen a season like that.

When talking about it never heard them mention because his FIP, but I was wrong he had the most wins and least losses and lowest ERA and highest war, and lowest WHIP and most K's. Easy to see why he won and yes one of the best seasons we've seen in a long while.

When talking about it never heard them mention because his FIP, but I was wrong he had the most wins and least losses and lowest ERA and highest war, and lowest WHIP and most K's. Easy to see why he won and yes one of the best seasons we've seen in a long while.

Discussing this is like discussing a shooters form. Two players both hit 53% from the field. That stat would be W/L. Their ERA would be like where they are hitting their shots from. Is a guard who also shoots 3s more valuable than a center who does not when they have the same shooting percentage? FIP on the other hand would be like two players shooting 53%, but one (from the eye test) has consistent form, and the other has terrible form. At some point the consistency of the shot will show, as will the ugliness of the other. It takes luck out of the equation.

Rocky explanation but my point is, you see people on here every day talking about a win like it's not the most important thing. The need to focus on details of basketball. That is what FIP is. It takes luck out of the equation. It judges pitchers based solely on how they pitch as opposed to whether or not their team picks them up night in and night out.

Discussing this is like discussing a shooters form. Two players both hit 53% from the field. That stat would be W/L. Their ERA would be like where they are hitting their shots from. Is a guard who also shoots 3s more valuable than a center who does not when they have the same shooting percentage? FIP on the other hand would be like two players shooting 53%, but one (from the eye test) has consistent form, and the other has terrible form. At some point the consistency of the shot will show, as will the ugliness of the other. It takes luck out of the equation.

Rocky explanation but my point is, you see people on here every day talking about a win like it's not the most important thing. The need to focus on details of basketball. That is what FIP is. It takes luck out of the equation. It judges pitchers based solely on how they pitch as opposed to whether or not their team picks them up night in and night out.

I'm not sure about the analogy, but anyhow if you need to use metrics then I think DRA is the better way to look at pitchers.

Not accurate if it's a routine ball and he trips it's an error, if it's a shot in the gap and he's sprinting to get it it's ruled the other way. Now the only one that truly gets scored wrong to me is the suns in his eyes it's ruled a hit. It's unfortunate to be handed an error for that but I also don't like that it penalizes the pitchers.

Another thing you have to consider is the official scorer.  The same play doesn't always get ruled the same from game to game or even sometimes inning to inning; I've seen a lot of errors rules hits and vice versa.  The point is though that ERA includes factors that the pitcher has no control over, while FIP attempts to remove those.

Another thing you have to consider is the official scorer. The same play doesn't always get ruled the same from game to game or even sometimes inning to inning; I've seen a lot of errors rules hits and vice versa. The point is though that ERA includes factors that the pitcher has no control over, while FIP attempts to remove those.

I see that I think FIP attempts to do to much like I said DRA is a better representation it's ERA but removing defensive mistakes.

I see that I think FIP attempts to do to much like I said DRA is a better representation it's ERA but removing defensive mistakes.

That's just where we'll have to disagree.  I'd prefer the stat to remove the defense; just like the pitcher has no control over defensive miscues he also doesn't have control over the defense making a great play.

I love the discussion in here. This is what I live for!

In my opinion, without digging into numbers because that's already been done, both are worthy candidates and it's a shame that one of them won't win the Cy Young. However, I believe Arrieta will because his epic second half is much more fresh in the voters' minds than Greinke's outstanding first half (and overall season).

Meanwhile Scherzer and his 2 no-no's will likely finish 4th in this debate and along with the other 3 would've won the AL Cy.

Also, why are these ass-hats babbling over the announcing of the two teams. Typical NESPN garbage.

That's just where we'll have to disagree. I'd prefer the stat to remove the defense; just like the pitcher has no control over defensive miscues he also doesn't have control over the defense making a great play.

DRA takes out defense miscues, it's deserved run average.

DRA takes out defense miscues, it's deserved run average.

I'm aware.  I meant I like that FIP takes defense out completely; the pitcher has no control over the plays made behind him, regardless of if they're bad or good.

Believe it or not there is very little buzz down here about the Astros. I expected to hear about them left and right but it's like no one down here cares.

Under the radar is OK.  I'm surprised they aren't getting more love though.  Young and exciting team.  They are just out there having a blast.  It's evident on the field, in the dugout, pregame activities, etc.  Hopefully that just carries right past KC and Toronto and into the WS!!!!