Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

(2018) PG Robert Phinisee to Cincinnati

The problem is right now 247 is Scout and vice versa. When they merged we have no clue what it will do to rankings. Most piggy back off of each other for initial rankings then have their area guys follow players. The top 50 or so players are mostly obvious. I assume we will see a difference in rankings and production. ESPN doesn't care about the 100th ranked kid and 247 is Scout. Curious to see how accurate or usable the composite is the next few years.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Great point.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I'm not saying there is a right answer. I acknowledge RP could be the right answer. He's not a surefire right answer to me but he may be to the staff. That's all that really matters, I guess.

As far as rankings, yes composite is the best way to view it but as an individual site it is my belief that 247 is ahead of the curve and faster to notice trends up and down. I put more credence in their rankings than other services. Slightly.

I also acknowledge rankings aren't the end all be all. I've indicated I liked Devoe and Akinjo both who were low rated at the time.

As far as Cujo, he has 3 more years to fulfill that composite ranking of 60-70 range.

All I'm saying is RP doesn't pump me up as a fan. Solid recruit. Maybe great. Some questions for me.

I put extra value on PG spot and he isn't an off the charts level talent, that id hope to get at point.

I've posted with u long enough to know when u are frustrated on a topic and adding( I guess ) after "he might be the right answer for the staff and that's all that really matters" shows that. I acknowledge RP might not be the answer but I would rather be wrong about him being the answer and him coming to IU and then keep looking for the answer in 2019 instead of being wrong about him not being the answer and he goes somewhere else and becomes a star.

As far as Curtis Jones goes he still has 3 years to prove the Espn ranking of top 40 player right as well

Not everyone is going to be pumped up for a particular recruit but at the end of the day both of us will agree whoever decides to wear the candy stripes will have our support

I've posted with u long enough to know when u are frustrated on a topic and adding( I guess ) after "he might be the right answer for the staff and that's all that really matters" shows that. I acknowledge RP might not be the answer but I would rather be wrong about him being the answer and him coming to IU and then keep looking for the answer in 2019 instead of being wrong about him not being the answer and he goes somewhere else and becomes a star.

As far as Curtis Jones goes he still has 3 years to prove the Espn ranking of top 40 player right as well
Not everyone is going to be pumped up for a particular recruit but at the end of the day both of us will agree whoever decides to wear the cansystripes will have our support

Good post. I agree with you. I'm not mad though. Just convincing myself the staff knows more than me. . Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in being a know it all.

Good post. I agree with you. I'm not mad though. Just convincing myself the staff knows more than me. . Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in being a know it all.

Meh you are a fan. We all get that way in one area or another. That's why it is good to have outlets like this. You want a true top PG. No harm in that. It doesn't appear we get one on paper. I think this kid is going to be a solid piece, but we for sure will need more talent elsewhere to get where we all want to be.

Meh you are a fan. We all get that way in one area or another. That's why it is good to have outlets like this. You want a true top PG. No harm in that. It doesn't appear we get one on paper. I think this kid is going to be a solid piece, but we for sure will need more talent elsewhere to get where we all want to be.

Exactly. I'll roll with RP. Rooting like a diehard fan along the way.

At some point we have to match talent with the big boys to compete with the big boys.

Experience versus talented youth is an interesting debate. Ideally, you get the fringe guys and have the best of both worlds.

Exactly. I'll roll with RP. Rooting like a diehard fan along the way.

At some point we have to match talent with the big boys to compete with the big boys.

Experience versus talented youth is an interesting debate. Ideally, you get the fringe guys and have the best of both worlds.

Totally agree at some point IU will have to match talent with the big boys. In my opinion asking CAM to match them in his 1st real recruiting class is a lot to ask(besides Romeo). He is recruiting for the long haul and the fans are recruiting for the now. CAM has said in multiple interviews that this is a process and is going to take time.
ImageUploadedByBtownBanners1502817406.436354.jpg

RP is not the early answer. But RP could grow into a perfect situation. He is a pass first PG, (which was a major issue in AAU because his team was, frankly, horrible) and if IU is going to land all this talent we keep talking about 2-5, RP is perfect. Holds onto the ball, distributor, floor general. 
All the while IU can swing away at PG if they please. 

Exactly. That's why I like the fit. It would be nice to have an impact PG next year. But I think RP is a good 4 year fit with who we have and who we are going after. It's not a homerun, but we need to hit doubles. We don't need feast or famine. Plus I like what adding this kid does for local players. Solid for me.

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Good post. I agree with you. I'm not mad though. Just convincing myself the staff knows more than me. emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png. Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in being a know it all. emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png

I agree with you I'm not 100% sold either. I have only seen him at the IU camp but I would gladly take Devoe or Duke. I love that he is a in state kid and glad he won't be going to another big ten school just IMO not sure he contributes the next two years and I hope I'm wrong. But I do know a member of the staff who thinks the same thing because we have talked about it.

4 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Ok, dudes.  I fired up my googler and got to digging.  There's this talk that IU needs to "compete with the big boys."  I wanted to know just what is entailed to put together a championship roster.  So I looked up the recruiting profiles of the last two championship teams, 2016 Villanova and 2017 UNC.  I'm going to list starting five, along with their composite rank and height.

VILLANOVA 2016

Brunson, #22, 6'2"

Hart, #84, 6'5"

Jenkins, #78, 6'6"

Bridges, #86, 6'7"

D. Reynolds, #369, 6'8"

Average Composite Ranking = 127.8

UNC 2017

Berry, #30, 6'0"

Williams, #92, 6'3"

Jackson, #9, 6'8"

Hicks, #16, 6'8"

Meeks, #58, 6'10"

Average Composite Ranking = 41

Not bad.  If I had piles of time it would be interesting to see how this shapes up for the Final Four each year, too.  Without looking, I can't imagine USC or Gonzaga are crazy high.  

Now let's take a shot at the Indiana starting five in 2018-2019.  (Let's not argue on this, its just for demonstration)

Phinisee, #96

Langford, #5 (now that Bagley reclassified)

Hunter, #51

Thompson (total guess here), #101

Davis, #41

Average Composite Ranking = 58.8

Please note, even if you remove the outlier from Villanova's starting five (369), their average is 67.5.  Then realize that we have waves of talent still on the roster, many top 100 guys as back-ups.  Add in that perhaps we have ourselves a top tier coach, and I'd say talent on the roster won't be the issue.  Really, neither will height.  We're actually shaping up to be an athletic, long roster.  

While I love the post, a HUGE factor not being taken into consideration is experience. Both Villanova and UNC had major contributing Juniors/Seniors. Most of our guys will be freshmen. 

Give it a couple years with that core sticking and we would be major factors. It also really hinges on getting a star like Romeo. We need playmakers

Ok, dudes.  I fired up my googler and got to digging.  There's this talk that IU needs to "compete with the big boys."  I wanted to know just what is entailed to put together a championship roster.  So I looked up the recruiting profiles of the last two championship teams, 2016 Villanova and 2017 UNC.  I'm going to list starting five, along with their composite rank and height.
VILLANOVA 2016
Brunson, #22, 6'2"
Hart, #84, 6'5"
Jenkins, #78, 6'6"
Bridges, #86, 6'7"
D. Reynolds, #369, 6'8"
Average Composite Ranking = 127.8

UNC 2017
Berry, #30, 6'0"
Williams, #92, 6'3"
Jackson, #9, 6'8"
Hicks, #16, 6'8"
Meeks, #58, 6'10"
Average Composite Ranking = 41

Not bad.  If I had piles of time it would be interesting to see how this shapes up for the Final Four each year, too.  Without looking, I can't imagine USC or Gonzaga are crazy high.  

Now let's take a shot at the Indiana starting five in 2018-2019.  (Let's not argue on this, its just for demonstration)
Phinisee, #96
Langford, #5 (now that Bagley reclassified)
Hunter, #51
Thompson (total guess here), #101
Davis, #41
Average Composite Ranking = 58.8

Please note, even if you remove the outlier from Villanova's starting five (369), their average is 67.5.  Then realize that we have waves of talent still on the roster, many top 100 guys as back-ups.  Add in that perhaps we have ourselves a top tier coach, and I'd say talent on the roster won't be the issue.  Really, neither will height.  We're actually shaping up to be an athletic, long roster.  

U left of Villanova main guy. Ryan A. Long name. He was a top 60 recruit as well

They forgot to mention that since this board has been pushing for him he has grown from 5'11" to 6'1".

At this rate he'll be about 6'6" by the time he gets to campus!  ;)

I've noticed this as well. Lol. Just like Yogi was 6'. I'm not so sure about that.

Hard to really know what to believe on this one. Apparently Rabjohns is the 6'1" source.

Either way he is a shorter point guard. But It can certainly be overcome.

Whatevs.