Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Yogi'sBicep

A look at the future

do you have more on this than the rumor that was published? I know he has publicly stated that he is where he wants to be but could not confirm with my contact that the IU alum that was in the celtics locker area was sent by IU or even there to talk to him about IU. And those within IU program do know that he is generally interested; timing might not be good but to say he isn't interested at all is contrary to what I have been told

No I only heard the info that has been released out that a small convoy went out to Boston to gauge his interest and alas he is still in Boston. Of course the job could be interesting to him but his actions speak that he wants to stay in Boston.

No I only heard the info that has been released out that a small convoy went out to Boston to gauge his interest and alas he is still in Boston. Of course the job could be interesting to him but his actions speak that he wants to stay in Boston.

Do we for sure know IU sent a group to talk to him? If 100% accurate then doesn't look good for Crean.

Think Dane Fife.  Recruited by Knight at the end of his tenure so all the Knight era hangeronners should be appeased.  Hardnosed kid without RMK's abrasiveness.  Played his heart out for IU.  Has minimal head coaching experience but he's been studying under a pretty damn good coach in Tom Izzo and from where does Izzo recruit the majority of his players?  The midwest.  I think he'd be well worth the gamble as our head coach.

And Dane Fife would also most certainly understand underage drinking offenses at IU better than many since he was busted when he played for the Hoosiers for illegal consumption, being a minor in a tavern, and possession of false identification lol!   :yes:

And Dane Fife would also most certainly understand underage drinking offenses better than many since he was busted when he played for the Hoosiers for illegal consumption, being a minor in a tavern, and possession of false identification lol! :yes:

Hahahhahaha oh the irony...

And Dane Fife would also most certainly understand underage drinking offenses at IU better than many since he was busted when he played for the Hoosiers for illegal consumption, being a minor in a tavern, and possession of false identification lol! :yes:

yep, Dane fife is currently another Steve Alford. A guy we loved as a Hoosier that won big that is now a coach and we want him to be the savior but he is not. We have zero IU alums in coaching that would be able to come in and make us an immediate contender and that sucks because we have alum coaches all over the basketball world

yep, Dane fife is currently another Steve Alford. A guy we loved as a Hoosier that won big that is now a coach and we want him to be the savior but he is not. We have zero IU alums in coaching that would be able to come in and make us an immediate contender and that sucks because we have alum coaches all over the basketball world

What about the old Knicks coach? Wasn't he an IU alum?

I agree with you about Fife right now. But one thing he has over Alford is he is the lead recruiter for MSU so most of these recruits Michigan State has pulled in over the last few years are thanks to Fife. I think he will get a shot at being a head coach somewhere big over the next few years and will be successful but I don't think it will be here

Mike Woodson, please no. He had one decent season and then they were terrible and he seemed like he didn't care what happened with his team

With the team he had, can you blame him? What a mess! JR Smith, Carmelo, what a bunch of clowns and divas.

With the team he had, can you blame him? What a mess! JR Smith, Carmelo, what a bunch of clowns and divas.

He had the talent to do well, especially in the East. Problem is he didn't have any offensive game plan. If he couldnt handle some pros, how is he supposed to handle a situation like our program is in now? I just don't want to hire a coach that has more losing seasons than winning seasons. We need someone who is a proven winner, and that Woodson is not

I agree with you about Fife right now. But one thing he has over Alford is he is the lead recruiter for MSU so most of these recruits Michigan State has pulled in over the last few years are thanks to Fife. I think he will get a shot at being a head coach somewhere big over the next few years and will be successful but I don't think it will be here

Didn't Fife already get a head coach chance? Was it IUFW? How did that go? I don't remember hearing much, if anything about that situation.

I have to admit, I've never been much of a fan of the guy. Just seemed like a jerk, to me. Then again, I've been wrong about people before, so.......

He had the talent to do well, especially in the East. Problem is he didn't have any offensive game plan. If he couldnt handle some pros, how is he supposed to handle a situation like our program is in now? I just don't want to hire a coach that has more losing seasons than winning seasons. We need someone who is a proven winner, and that Woodson is not

I don't know if guys like Smith and Anthony were going to listen to anything he told them. Ownership was already in love with the idea of bringing in Phil Jackson, so I doubt he had much support.

I do seem to remember his team improving each year he coached in Atlanta. Never understood the parting of the ways there, other than they were going through an ownership change.

Didn't Fife already get a head coach chance? Was it IUFW? How did that go? I don't remember hearing much, if anything about that situation.

I have to admit, I've never been much of a fan of the guy. Just seemed like a jerk, to me. Then again, I've been wrong about people before, so.......

it was ipfw in fort Wayne. They were a new division 1 program and he made them better than they were and I think better than they have been since. They almost beat Michigan St a couple times in the beginning of the season. He left to be a assistant where he is now. He is probably getting a lot more knowledge and notoriety at Michigan state than he ever would have head coaching ipfw.

I don't know if guys like Smith and Anthony were going to listen to anything he told them. Ownership was already in love with the idea of bringing in Phil Jackson, so I doubt he had much support.

I do seem to remember his team improving each year he coached in Atlanta. Never understood the parting of the ways there, other than they were going through an ownership change.

I seem to remember that Atlanta's best guy that year was a free agent and wanted Woodson gone as a term for coming back the following season.

He did pretty well at IUFW. They had just entered into Division 1 and he had success but left to be the top assistant at MSU. Now he has recruiting ties all over the midwest and will be a good catch when he leaves MSU. 

If Woodson was to come here, it would be like having Mike Davis all over again.

If I had to guess...Stevens turns us down this offseason, we hire a different coach then him and everyone on this site are having pretty much the same arguments as they are now but with whoever we hire in place of Crean.

Man I hate to even talk about this pre season but if we make a coaching change in the near future and it is not to hire Stevens then I will be very disappointed. I think Stevens would truly unite the fan base. I can't think of anyone else that would be a remote possibility even close.

Man I hate to even talk about this pre season but if we make a coaching change in the near future and it is not to hire Stevens then I will be very disappointed. I think Stevens would truly unite the fan base. I can't think of anyone else that would be a remote possibility even close.

They hire would unit most of the fan base. There would probably be some complain about not being as fun to watch though.