Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

Emmitt Holt dismissed from team

Do you really think this will stop the stupidity? Did the dismissals of HMP and DD stop the stupidity?

Time will tell. I agree that Crean should already have been fired. But something has to change. If nothing else, it weeds (see what I did there?) out the kids who continue to get into trouble.

As much as I hated the 6-25 season, at least the stupidity was gone. To quote Coach Norman Dale, "My team is on the floor".

https://youtu.be/ITGwzan_0FY

I was reminded yesterday of the old saying, "Be better than your problems"  in collegiate sports. 

Yogi was/was/is.

Troy was/was/is

Stan was/was/wasn't so he left.

HMP was/then wasn't

Devin was/was(arguable)/then wasn't

Holt was/then wasn't.

Bryant is.

Sure Crean was pressured on this one, but doesn't serve well in a locker room, imo.

There are two things that will stop the stupidity.

1)  Whoever the coach is needs to recruit the right kind of kid to fit the culture of the program.  I am on record as saying I hate the east coast focus because no kid out there has any clue of the culture at Indiana and clearly has little respect for it.   We're just another school to most of those kids.   Even with local kids, the coach needs to either confirm a kid's understanding or clearly state expectations and what that kid will be representing when he comes to Indiana.   If an understanding between all parties is not absolute, you'll have problems.   I don't believe Tom Crean spends any time at all selling the culture or expectations.   I think he sees a kid's skill set and just tries to get him to say yes.  I don't believe much thought or effort are given to building the roster or to the locker room which will contain said players.   That's why we have no leaders...because it's not a priority.   Tom Crean recruits with a shotgun....any kid who says yes is welcomed.   Which is also why the roster is a consistent turn style.  The approach needs to change if the stupidity is to stop, and kids have to be carefully vetted.

2)  The second way is to fire Crean and hire a coach who the players respect.  The new guy needs to not only understand where he is, but display characteristics which prove he can sell it and recruit to a system he consistently teaches with kids who understand absolutely where they are and why candy stripes are revered.

I don't know if Holt is a "good kid" or not. He sure as hell made some really bad decisions going back to his first semester at IU.

I remember reading an interview Holt did about his decision to go to Vermont Academy for a post-high school year. It was before IU started recruiting him. ( I can't link to the interview because my computer doesn't let me link anything here. ) Holt said he was going to Vermont Academy because he and his mother thought it would help him get his "head on straight". That was a big red flag to me that Holt had some problems before he ever came here.

Carry on, Hoosiers.

Time will tell. I agree that Crean should already have been fired. But something has to change. If nothing else, it weeds (see what I did there?) out the kids who continue to get into trouble.

As much as I hated the 6-25 season, at least the stupidity was gone. To quote Coach Norman Dale, "My team is on the floor".

https://youtu.be/ITGwzan_0FY

Time will tell? Isn't this incident time telling? If the dismissals had worked then no one would have gotten in trouble again.

We do just need to fire Crean. There's no point in having a lame duck recruiting season. Get somebody in here who can try and salvage this season and 2016 recruiting.

Until glass is fired crean is going to be coach. Glass loves him and will refuse to admit he made a mistake hiring him. The question is can the rest of the team stay out of trouble all season? You gotta wonder.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

If true, Yogi harboring HMP so he could come back and party with our guys is just a total lack of respect for Crean's authority. Once again, at least a faction of our players and the staff are not in one accord. Be prepared for a up and down season again.

I can't wait for the book to come out in 5 years so we know the real story.

I think Naples is right to an extent. Similar to the CEO firing some middle mngt. guys for acting up or not performing when the company isn't doing well. Then a year later the CEO is let go. Really wasn't about the little guys ( or players at IU) it was a lack of leadership at the top. When you look big picture here it is a lack of leadership of our bb program and it will have to be dealt with. We are gonna have to be patient for another season, though.

If true, Yogi harboring HMP so he could come back and party with our guys is just a total lack of respect for Crean's authority. Once again, at least a faction of our players and the staff are not in one accord. Be prepared for a up and down season again.

I can't wait for the book to come out in 5 years so we know the real story.

Respect has to be earned. Has crean?

That is why I can't wait for the book to come out. Is it all Crean, all the players or a combo of both??

there probably won't be a book unless this team does something special this season. I don't think enough people will be interested in a book about a bunch of drunk/pot heads that can't play basketball. I agree though I hope that they make one cause I would read it.

That is why I can't wait for the book to come out. Is it all Crean, all the players or a combo of both??

There's plenty of blame to go around. But Crean is higher on the food chain than the players, so he owns a larger share of the responsibility. He's also pulling down millions to manage a group of 20 or so kids, each of whom is getting a $200k college education.

So I saw it mentioned earlier but not sure if there was official confirmation, but the IndyStar confirmed with the excise police that Morgan and Perea were in the car as well, but not cited.