Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

chicagoHOOSIER

Lindy's Sports IU Preseason #4

You know what I'd be interested in seeing? How many teams have had a terrible defense while having a truly elite offense (Top 3 in nation) and what type of finish are they capable of? I suspect that there aren't many teams that have been in this position. I think our defense is going to improve drastically. We will be a top 75 defense IMO and  possibly the top offense in the country. I'm excited for this season. I just hope our fans dont carry over their boos from last year. If that's how the fan support turns out for these boys to start, then we arent giving them much incentive to give it their all going forward.

If we are top 75 in D we should have a pretty good season. Wouldn't expect a FF but make some noise in conference and sweet sixteen. I memory serves me correctly every National Champ in the last 10 years has been top 20 in adj O and Adj D.

How would you feel about a 32-6 record this year? Elite 8 exit from the tournament? Would this be considered a good season or a disappointment?

I would consider that good. We would have to play consistently good basketball throughout the whole season to do that which would certainly be refreshing.

Or 28-9 with an Elite 8 appearance.. What about 26-9 with a first round loss...

These are not just make believe scenarios...

2014 Michigan had the #1 offense with #109 defense, 28-9 elite 8.
2014 Duke had #2 offense with #116 defense, 26-9 first round loss.
2015 Notre Dame had #2 offense with #102 defense, 32-6 elite 8.

Are these the seasons we aspire to?

I honestly think our defense will be somewhere in the 60s at the very least... And history says with a top rated offense we could be in for a really fun season.

Or 28-9 with an Elite 8 appearance.. What about 26-9 with a first round loss...

These are not just make believe scenarios...

2014 Michigan had the #1 offense with #109 defense, 28-9 elite 8.
2014 Duke had #2 offense with #116 defense, 26-9 first round loss.
2015 Notre Dame had #2 offense with #102 defense, 32-6 elite 8.

Are these the seasons we aspire to?

I honestly think our defense will be somewhere in the 60s at the very least... And history days with a top rated offense we could be in for a really fun season.

Notre dame ran into a very special Kentucky team and probably still would have beaten them had some stuff gone differently.

Let's win the Big Ten, first.   The total number of wins isn't as important to me as championships and building a culture that expects them.   Once you get into the later rounds of the NCAA tournament, it takes a lot of bounces to go your way; it takes consistency, it takes sticking to a system, and it requires intense focus.  Those are areas where Indiana lacks a little, so it'll depend a lot on match ups.   

I want Big Ten titles first and foremost.  If we get those, we'll be in every national conversation anyway.

Let's win the Big Ten, first. The total number of wins isn't as important to me as championships and building a culture that expects them. Once you get into the later rounds of the NCAA tournament, it takes a lot of bounces to go your way; it takes consistency, it takes sticking to a system, and it requires intense focus. Those are areas where Indiana lacks a little, so it'll depend a lot on match ups.

I want Big Ten titles first and foremost. If we get those, we'll be in every national conversation anyway.

In crean we trust!!!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Welp I wonder if Lindy wants to change his prediction?

Kind of thinking the same thing. IMO, #4 was a bit high... rankings are nice, but in the end you have to play the games (and win)...

How would you feel about a 32-6 record this year? Elite 8 exit from the tournament? Would this be considered a good season or a disappointment?

That's a great question, because on the one hand we haven't made the Elite 8 in 13 years, since Mike Davis got us there, and we have only been to 3 Sweet 16's in the last 15 years (imagine that,) which means we are really due now.  But really the IU we all expect to get back to is the IU that went to 8 Elite 8's in 20 years, and 14 Sweet 16's in 20 years.  Anything less than the Elite 8 is a disappointment.  Even while we would cheer a return to the Elite 8 this year, if we did not advance to the Final Four and beyond, we would all probably feel a tremendous sense of loss and a fall from grace that would probably not be consolable by words from coaches, staff, players, AD's, etc.