Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

swatford

Thomas Bryant and Emmitt Holt cited for illegal alcohol posession

I hope Emmitt Holt and Thomas Bryant take my advice and go to the law library and meet some law students who want to write a bunch of motions for them that Thomas and Emmitt can just take down to the courthouse and file and get this fight going in the right direction.

I wonder if those Excise Cops have a record of racial profiling.

It might possibly be worth the effort to look into the complaints filed against those cops and see if there is a pattern.  Often there is a pattern.

Like it or not, but the state of Indiana has a history of racial profiling.  Sometimes you need to probe into an officer's past and see what's there.  You never know until you look.

Might also be interesting to see where the officers grew up and where they went to school.

And look into a record of their arrests and see if there are patterns there too.

We are much too early in this game to lie down and start apologizing.

Have Bryant and Thomas even been arraigned yet?

I am speechless. Rather than deal with the issue at hand, you're suggesting that the proper course of action is to cast doubt on the police officers who cited these two basketball players who broke the law. It matters not whether you believe the law to have any merit - it's on the books and these entitled kids broke it. Deal with the facts, and move on.

No wonder these kids feel so entitled these days. No one wants to make them accountable for their own actions. Do the crime? Now do the time. The fact that this scenario has been repeated too many times at Indiana University with its basketball players only compounds the issue and draws attention to the fact that there is a huge problem there and it's not being handled to the point of resolution.

And yes, this is pretty much the textbook classic case of "lack of institutional control" the institution (Indiana University and the basketball program) being out of control.

This. I once got busted or underage consumption. The first thing my lawyer asked was to explain what happened when the police showed up. After explaining, the lawyer asked me if I wanted to get out of it 100% and get the cops in trouble. I was in the wrong but the cops were going to get in trouble? That didn't make sense to me. I took the slap on the wrist and the punishment of my supervisors and peers. It sucked but I learned my lesson.

I see that as taking responsibility for your actions. It's part of he maturation process.

If a lot of people actually want Bryant and Holt kicked off the team and Crean and Glass fired over an accusation of minor possession during Welcome Week, then I say fight the good fight, and fight it to win.

I wonder if those Excise Cops have a record of racial profiling.

It might possibly be worth the effort to look into the complaints filed against those cops and see if there is a pattern.  Often there is a pattern.

Like it or not, but the state of Indiana has a history of racial profiling.  Sometimes you need to probe into an officer's past and see what's there.  You never know until you look.

Might also be interesting to see where the officers grew up and where they went to school.

And look into a record of their arrests and see if there are patterns there too.

The anger and exasperation about this isn't because an 18 year old and a 19 year old were cited for illegal possession during Welcome Week. It's because ONCE AGAIN stupidity has landed in Bloomington with a basketball team that absolutely should know better by this point. It's the repeated violations, the repeat offenders and the lack of any action by the coach, AD and university president to make it stop.

And for the record, accusing the police officers of "racial profiling" doesn't help.

"Racial profiling" is the excuse to 90% of all colored arrests it seems. Ownership isn't in this generation. I'm apart of the "Not my Fault" generation

The anger and exasperation about this isn't because an 18 year old and a 19 year old were cited for illegal possession during Welcome Week. It's because ONCE AGAIN stupidity has landed in Bloomington with a basketball team that absolutely should know better by this point. It's the repeated violations, the repeat offenders and the lack of any action by the coach, AD and university president to make it stop.

And for the record, accusing the police officers of "racial profiling" doesn't help.

"Racial profiling" is the excuse to 90% of all colored arrests it seems. Ownership isn't in this generation. I'm apart of the "Not my Fault" generation

I agree. Geez give me freaking break!

I see that as taking responsibility for your actions. It's part of he maturation process.

It was a slap on the wrist or have two cops get extra duty because of my actions. I couldn't justify me screwing up for them to work extra hours. Both parties learned from the situation. They followed procedures closer to the regs and I stopped drinking where I could be caught.

In this instance, Yogi, Hartman, Zeisloft, and the other older guys need to lookout for the younger players and "show them the ropes." Although, I'm not sure they know the ropes.

Because often the police violate constitutional rights ordained by our nation's forefathers in the process of doing their jobs, and the ones who do that often violate those rights on a daily basis. Those constitutional rights are usually much more important to defend than a statute that says a kid cannot sit within so-and-so many feet of an unopened bottle of alcohol without being taken to jail and then publicly humiliated in his new home town during Welcome Week, when he should be celebrating the beginning of the best years of his life.

One crime is worse than the other.

Can you tell me which crime you believe is the greater offense?

Hilarious. These boys were busted in the act, they were ignorant enough to be popped in a public place, and one is a repeat offender. But to you they are the victims. Now why would you think that? I say boot both now and the coach in March. Time to end this nonsense.

Welp that didn't take long.  C'mon guys, thousands of other kids doing the exact same thing as the two of you managed to not get caught this past week. 

Well, it has been a while since I last blurbed, but these are the times that try mens' souls. I only chose the above post to quote because I was surprised to see Chris Carter had an account on this site, or else, at least, his recently retracted mentality still thrives. It was only after reading a few more posts (of tenured members I have enjoyed reading in the past) that I became painfully aware this incident has scared the bejesus out of many of the IU faithful. There obviously is a lot of whistling past the graveyard going on. I do not pretend to think my commentary of this sitch-e-a-tion commands anything of the nature of "it's them or me", but my craw is full and these last couple of years of IU player antics are thoroughly stuck there. I "personally" (no claim to include others) feel I have reached that point of finality where if these TWO stay, I've seen enough; I am gone (this forum, Peegs, the tube). I would much rather see IU finish in the middle of the pack than see a championship built on their inclusion. An inclusion that would put the IU program in that cesspool of other notorious (W's at any cost) programs. It would sicken me to even hear a CTC spin on special circumstances that would allow them to remain on the team. I was appalled when IU arena fans booed CTC's decisions during games. But, if I was there and these two suit up and enter a game, I would be leading the chorus of Bronx cheers. ( I know this is contradictory because I would have already departed the fold - I'm just sayin'.

After Emmet Holt's contrite and apologetic display after the Devin Davis incident, to this soon be involved in this situation in the manner described (by media/law enforcement) is utterly shameful and inexcusable. I do not care if every member of the B police force was born in West Lafayette; they were doing what they are supposed to do. Contrite and apologetic just doesn't fly "after the fact" when standing before the judge and it is your only defense. Especially goes to the tune, 1st time shame on you, 2nd time shame on me. What a sham he displayed, if not the most aggravated case of memory loss ever visioned.

Thomas Bryant, my-oh-my, what an utter lack of focus. This guy has his eye on the prize (NBA)? - I think not. Excuse me, but do no not spin this as the 1st time incident therefore he should be placed on parole and resume his place on the team. He was fully aware of past history during his recruitment and mommy even addressed it at the time. Being friends with Emmet, I am confident he was fully appraised of what transpired and came down last year. All this speaks to why he was probably not rated 5 star.

Unanswered questions are, (1) Did other team members know what was going on with these two and did nothing?, and (2), where was the upper class leadership? - yes, you are babysitters

Sometimes an apology is the best way to go.

I don't think this is one of those situations.

An apology is not going to shut up the shrieking 'kick-em-off-the-team, fire-the-Athletic-Department' contingent.

You know what else won't shut those people up? Fighting these charges in court.

You seem to be the only one around here advocating this approach. If you think this is what the fanbase wants, then I think you're sorely misreading the fanbase.

And yes, this is pretty much the textbook case of "lack of institutional control".

Disagree. Lack of institutional control relies heavily on how an athletic department responds to NCAA violations and violations to their own policies. Based on some limited research, it appears that underage consumption and possession of alcohol is prohibited at the university level, and not addressed by the NCAA. Lack of institutional control would mean that we directly contradict our accepted policies regarding how we handle these types of situations, and a repeated basis.

Also, if you look at other lack of institutional control cases, there's a much greater history of non-compliance with NCAA rules and school policies, usually coupled with attempts to cover up various violations from both school and NCAA officials.

http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/fightingillini.com/documents/2015/3/24/institutional-control.pdf

This is no where close to demonstrative of a lack of institutional control. This is just concerning that our players continue to get into trouble for the same issue.

I am speechless. Rather than deal with the issue at hand, you're suggesting that the proper course of action is to cast doubt on the police officers who cited these two basketball players who broke the law. It matters not whether you believe the law to have any merit - it's on the books and these entitled kids broke it. Deal with the facts, and move on.

No wonder these kids feel so entitled these days. No one wants to make them accountable for their own actions. Do the crime? Now do the time. The fact that this scenario has been repeated too many times at Indiana University with its basketball players only compounds the issue and draws attention to the fact that there is a huge problem there and it's not being handled to the point of resolution.

And yes, this is pretty much the textbook case of "lack of institutional control".

I don't think you understand what lack of institutional control means in the NCAA's eyes. If IU was going out of its way to sweep these transgressions with players under the rug that would be lack of institutional control.

Guys, I'm on a project in St. Louis. I hear enough about the police and perceived/real injustices committed by them. Can we get back to discussing what is going on with our basketball team?

Regarding the lack of citation for the other three members of the car, I once received an underage possession citation from the excise cops as well. It was clear that the 21 year olds with me supplied it, since the cops followed their car to my apartment and saw us unloading the trunk, but the excise did not give citations to the 21 year olds.

My friend and also apologized and talked our way out of the outrageously expensive tickets for all you wondering whether you should fight such things or just apologize for doing something you know is wrong.

Thank you for posting your experience with the citation (although that must have sucked for you) It was really bothering me that Holt & Bryant were the only ones cited, good to hear that it (at least to me) doesn't appear they were targeting the players

I "personally" (no claim to include others) feel I have reached that point of finality where if these TWO stay, I've seen enough; I am gone (this forum, Peegs, the tube). I would much rather see IU finish in the middle of the pack than see a championship built on their inclusion. An inclusion that would put the IU program in that cesspool of other notorious (W's at any cost) programs. It would sicken me to even hear a CTC spin on special circumstances that would allow them to remain on the team. I was appalled when IU arena fans booed CTC's decisions during games. But, if I was there and these two suit up and enter a game, I would be leading the chorus of Bronx cheers.

Bye Felicia.

You know what else won't shut those people up? Fighting these charges in court.

You seem to be the only one around here advocating this approach. If you think this is what the fanbase wants, then I think you're sorely misreading the fanbase.

So what.

I'm not misreading the fanbase.  I think much of the fanbase is a mass of squawking idiots, especially the usual message board fan.

Look around and tell me what you see.

Hilarious. These boys were busted in the act, they were ignorant enough to be popped in a public place, and one is a repeat offender. But to you they are the victims. Now why would you think that? I say boot both now and the coach in March. Time to end this nonsense.

Yes.  I have heard that opinion before.

I disagree.  Strongly.