Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sam_Boger

PITT Transfer Josh Newkirk is headed to IU!

Such odd choices by our staff. A PG who can't shoot coming off knee surgery. Sure, sign him up. We are Indiana.

He was ranked around 120-130 overall coming out of high school. Oladipo or Sheehey he's not.

Sent from my mobile device via Tapatalk 3.2.1.

Ehhh..

May be good for Creans offense.. until he has to shoot the ball. Good future back up PG?

Or a future candidate for creaning.

Sent from my mobile device via Tapatalk 3.2.1.

This is another move, like Gelon, where you have to see what other pieces fall into place. It's a great pickup if you have a impact freshmen point guard and then Newkirk backing him up. You don't want the 2016 team to have a freshmen pg starting and a bunch of freshmen guards as your bench too.

Gosh i keep forgetting RoJo is still on the team. Seems like its been years since IU basketball ended.

So far we have a couple of role/project players for the 2016 class. Great. 

Admittedly CuJo is not an immediate big impact PG either as a Fresh. I like Bruce Brown better.

Also I would rather see RoJo on PG, Blackmon at SG, Alkins at the 3. Newkirk backs up Rojo.

I just don't think Alkins is a realistic commit.  Once again, I hope I'm wrong.

You're probably right. The key to this signing IMO is who else we're going to bring in for 2016. If we can go something like Davis, CuJo, Brown, Gelon and 1 of Alkins/Leaf/Maker,Bridges then I really like the Newkirk pickup. It's one more veteran player who has been through the grind in a major conference. His numbers might be pedestrian, but next years team is going to need some vets.

Adding 4-5 freshmen to Newkirk, RoJo, Bryant (hopefully), Hartman, OG, Holt, Morgan, is a nice blend of youth, talent and experience. With Newkirk, we're not adding 6 freshmen next year.

I think Rob will be our PG starter next year.

Haven't seen enough of the kid to judge him. I'll look forward to reading a report from someone who has.
Strategically I like it from class balance and roster building standpoints. Assuming JBJ leaves I would have preferred 2 frosh guards and a grad transfer to 3 frosh guards in the same class. Newkirk fills the transfer role. Now go get Brown and Jones closed.

You're probably right. The key to this signing IMO is who else we're going to bring in for 2016. If we can go something like Davis, CuJo, Brown, Gelon and 1 of Alkins/Leaf/Maker,Bridges then I really like the Newkirk pickup. It's one more veteran player who has been through the grind in a major conference. His numbers might be pedestrian, but next years team is going to need some vets.

Adding 4-5 freshmen to Newkirk, RoJo, Bryant (hopefully), Hartman, OG, Holt, Morgan, is a nice blend of youth, talent and experience. With Newkirk, we're not adding 6 freshmen next year.

If we get 2 of Bridges, Brown, Alkins, Leaf, CuJo, Davis I can live with these early signings. This one in particular. I understand the veteran PG thing. It makes sense to balance out roster too. Just not an exciting signing when those aforementioned players are on the board.