Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

ESPNs Way too early top-25

I don't think they were overrated. The Big 12 was very good last year. But Kansas lost Alexander. Texas had Barnes as a coach. But I'm not going to judge them by what happened in a single elimination tournament. Matchups mean just too much. Iowa State ran into a big UAB team that hit the offensive glass and Iowa State didn't have answer to that. And things like that happen often and there's nothing that can be done.

I think the matchups reasoning can work on one team.  But a whole conference worth of teams losing to much lower seeds?  That's more than coincidence.  That's exposure.  

I think the matchups reasoning can work on one team. But a whole conference worth of teams losing to much lower seeds? That's more than coincidence. That's exposure.

Its happened to the MWC too.

Wells was surely an important player; a veteran presence on and off the court, but he wasn't "by far their biggest playmaker." They bring back nearly everyone and add Stone, Sulaimon, and Robert Carter. That's a scary roster no matter who you are.

I watched pretty much every MD game last season and late in games Dez Wells was the go-to playmaker on the team. That's tough to replace. Layhman was very inconsistent and had games where he would just disappear. Trimble will be good, no doubt about it, but not Yogi good.. I think the jury is out on Sulimon, he couldn't stay on the court at Duke because of bad decision making and inconsistent shooting, not to mention the off court issues. The big men will be tough but I think Indiana has the better shooters. It'll be interesting but I think this IU team will be very competitive and has a chance to win the B1G.

I watched pretty much every MD game last season and late in games Dez Wells was the go-to playmaker on the team. That's tough to replace. Layhman was very inconsistent and had games where he would just disappear. Trimble will be good, no doubt about it but now Yogi good.. I think the jury is out on Suliman, he couldn't stay on the court at Duke because of bad decision making and missing shots not to mention the off court issues. The big men will be tough but I think Indiana has the better shooters. It'll be interesting but I think this IU team will be very competitive and has a chance to win the B1G.

Yogi's and Mel's per 40's were actually pretty close last year.

Purdue scares me more than Maryland. And I am not fearful of Purdue. 3 rotational bigs for them but losing octeus hurts. We match up great with Maryland. Troy will have an advantage over whoever he matches up against. Thomas and diamond cancel each other out. We are the deeper team also. Run it down their throats the crean way.

Guarantee UNC men's basketball somehow avoids penalties and gets a slap on the wrist.. Maybe it the cynic in me or the years of living in ACC country (now B1G country technically), but I've learned to just shake my head and accept that UNC is above the law. Kind of like Kentucky or Steven Segal.

Yogi's and Mel's per 40's were actually pretty close last year.

Offensive rating 124.3 vs. 116.5.  Assist % 26.7 vs. 21.5.  TOV% 14.2 vs. 18.3.  Which would you rather have?

Offensive rating 124.3 vs. 116.5. Assist % 26.7 vs. 21.5. TOV% 14.2 vs. 18.3. Which would you rather have?

Assist numbers are favored to Yogi. But for a freshman Melo was pretty darned good.

I think IU is in a good spot. With the lofty expectations that will be set forth by the fan base, I think the middle of the top 25 is a good place to start.

We are a top ten team and should be ranked top ten. The expectations are sky high and crean needs to deliver.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I don't know that I agree.  This team isn't top ten proven.  They may have top ten talent, but I don't think they deserve a top ten ranking quite yet.  We miss the postseason, to a 1st round exit as a 10 seed.  We're not top ten ready.  Let's see how they handle the non-conference schedule.  Talent is there, now they just need to show it on the court.

I don't know that I agree. This team isn't top ten proven. They may have top ten talent, but I don't think they deserve a top ten ranking quite yet. We miss the postseason, to a 1st round exit as a 10 seed. We're not top ten ready. Let's see how they handle the non-conference schedule. Talent is there, now they just need to show it on the court.

Agreed. We have talent but this team has struggled lately to play to our talent level.

14 feels a bit high to me. Maybe we are there talent wise, but ranking wise I think we are more 17-21 range.

Defense has light years to go, front court is completely unproven. I definitely think we have the potential to be top 10, but I want to see us play before I'm comfortable saying we deserve that

EDIT: I'm interested to see the personnel choices Crean makes. If he goes Yogi, Blackmon, Troy, Holt, Bryant we are big and lethal. I think I may prefer that to Yogi, Johnson, Blackmon, Troy, Bryant

Either way I think Johnson/Holt are great options off the bench

14 feels a bit high to me. Maybe we are there talent wise, but ranking wise I think we are more 17-21 range.

Defense has light years to go, front court is completely unproven. I definitely think we have the potential to be top 10, but I want to see us play before I'm comfortable saying we deserve that

EDIT: I'm interested to see the personnel choices Crean makes. If he goes Yogi, Blackmon, Troy, Holt, Bryant we are big and lethal. I think I may prefer that to Yogi, Johnson, Blackmon, Troy, Bryant

Either way I think Johnson/Holt are great options off the bench

I like Holt being in the starting lineup. Johnson and Hartman being the first off the bench. I actually looked at Holt vs RJ and compared their Per 40 and per 100 possessions stats. Holts were good. I don't really think that there is a clear cut reason to start RJ over Holt. But we'll see what Crean does and how stubborn he'll be with the lineup.