Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2016) SF Mario Kegler to Miss State

I agree that Bridges is an elite bball player. I was speaking on his ability to score anywhere other than the paint. I did say his body and defensive ability are further along. Troy was a better passer out of HS IMO. I do stand by my comment though. I've seen Bridges play a few times and he does not shoot the ball very well at all. This is a big deal in college. He's not going to be able to bully his way to buckets as easily at the collegiate level. He wont be around long enough for us to see that shot develop either, IMO.

I guess I look at it this way: Would I rather have a Julius Randle-type player that gives us a 1 year window to make a final four run or a Khalif Wyatt-type player that gives us a 3-4 year window? That's my take anyways. I love Bridges and I think he's going to be a very good pro. I just dont think he's the type that comes in a consistently dominates the college game right away. Not on the offensive end anyways.

Kegler is, in my eyes, the most underrated player in the class. There isn't a guy in this 2016 class that can stop him from getting 20-30 on any given night. His offensive polish is pro level right now. One more thing that I dont think anyone is talking about right now is "fit". Tom Crean teams really depend on guys who can score the ball from the perimeter. Kegler fits this mold to a T, while Bridges will have to develop into that role and frankly, we dont have the luxury of waiting around with Bridges. Like I said earlier, he's likely gone after his frosh year.

IU is applying the full court press with Kegler at this point. I believe Crean and Co. have come to the realization of just how well Kegler does fit. I read an article not long ago that mentioned how hard Ben Howland was pressing for a commitment from Kegler on an unofficial. Kegler refused to give that commitment and one of his reasons was that he still wanted to "see IU". Contrary to popular belief (or the 247 crystal ball) I think Kegler is ours to lose. I think his interest in IU is much higher than public opinion would suggest. Him resisting high pressure situations from Howland and Hurley, combined with the scheduling of his visit during HH all but confirms this to me personally. Just a strong hunch.

I agree the only 2 guys I want more the kegler respectively is Alkins and Maker

ThanksTrav; a super-optimistic post on Kegler on all fronts.

A question:

All I've seen with Kegler is on video; have you made this assessment from seeing him in person?

If so...Wow!

I've seen him in person 1 time at the Marshall County Hoopfest (I made the trip to see Thomas Bryant and Thon Maker). The two players I was most impressed with offensively, was Malik Newman and Kegler. Newman is incredibly explosive and athletic. He went from complete stop to faster than anyone else on the court in a split second and Kegler was like watching a 6' 8" (More like 6' 6") ballerina. Scoring is effortless for him. He can give it to you any way you want it too. In transition, in the post, mid range, from the perimeter, set shots, off the bounce, off of screens, etc. After I watched him, I went and found streams of ACD's full games. He does this against all of the top players in his class too. I cant wait to see him and Harry Giles in the pick and roll this season at Oak Hill. The biggest question that I have with Kegler at this point, is "can he guard the 3 in college on a nightly basis?" If so, hes an all american by his sophomore/junior year.

Kegler would be a major coup for IU. If you cant tell by now, I'm extremely high on him. He reminds me a lot of high school James Harden when the ball is in his hands. He doesnt quite get off the ground like JH but his ball handling and the way he operates in the pick in roll is very similar IMO. Remember James Harden was the most underrated player in his senior class as well.

I've seen him in person 1 time at the Marshall County Hoopfest (I made the trip to see Thomas Bryant and Thon Maker). The two players I was most impressed with offensively, was Malik Newman and Kegler. Newman is incredibly explosive and athletic. He went from complete stop to faster than anyone else on the court in a split second and Kegler was like watching a 6' 8" (More like 6' 6") ballerina. Scoring is effortless for him. He can give it to you any way you want it too. In transition, in the post, mid range, from the perimeter, set shots, off the bounce, off of screens, etc. After I watched him, I went and found streams of ACD's full games. He does this against all of the top players in his class too. I cant wait to see him and Harry Giles in the pick and roll this season at Oak Hill. The biggest question that I have with Kegler at this point, is "can he guard the 3 in college on a nightly basis?" If so, hes an all american by his sophomore/junior year.

Kegler would be a major coup for IU. If you cant tell by now, I'm extremely high on him. He reminds me a lot of high school James Harden when the ball is in his hands. He doesnt quite get off the ground like JH but his ball handling and the way he operates in the pick in roll is very similar IMO. Remember James Harden was the most underrated player in his senior class as well.

Also similar to Harden, Arizona State is hanging around on him. Hurley has something brewing out there, so I wouldn't exactly say he's ours to lose right now. A lot can happen in a recruitment over the course of a month, especially during this time of year. We need to just hope he makes it here, which I think he will, but like I said...anything can happen.

Lots of different aspects go into picking a school, but if HoosierTrav's analysis is accurate and you're Tom Crean you've really got to be pushing the VO, Wade, and now Troy Williams angle in terms of development and our offensive/scoring rankings the last several years (except for 2013-14). If this guy likes to get buckets, he can get a lot of them at Indiana.

Interestingly enough, this is ASU's pitch to Kegler. That's on pretty good record. You see it, they claim to see it, but I don't at all. You've seen him live and I've only seen games on ESPN and highlights tapes. Quite the pitch either way.

Thanks for the description you give of Kegler's game. It was informative. While that is the most glowing evaluation of his game I've heard, it certainly is one to consider. I'm not sure how you see him remaining in college for the 3/4 years you project if his game is at that level right now. 

Speaking of that, you mentioned the old argument of taking a 1 year player (Bridges) vs. a 3/4 year player (Kegler). The rest of this I just speak to, in general. To me, this is completely situational and often there are far too many factors to honestly judge it accurately. People just seem to stick to one side of the argument (not saying you are or aren't, I'm talking in generalities) which I find confusing. It depends largely on the situation the recruit is coming into. You could make a tremendous argument that landing Kennedy Meeks means more to Indiana on the floor than anything Noah Vonleh ever did. You could argue Noah Vonleh in combination with Cody Zeller showed a proven NBA draft history with big men that got IU into things with Thomas Bryant. Who knows?

Back to your point on that, and there are so many variables with regards the roster going into next year, but an educated guess would be that, on the floor, it makes more sense for Kegler next year. I guess if I'm looking at it blindly, I'm taking the better player. Maybe this should be it's own thread because I'd like to know peoples approach to this and how it differs from mine... 

^^^How effective can a James Harden pitch be for ASU when not a single person on the current coaching staff ever coached him? As much as we sometimes hammer Crean for always using Wade in recruiting, at least he actually coached him. I can't see Bobby Hurley being effective saying to Mario, "Hey, you know James Harden went here, right? You're game is a lot like his." My reply would be something like, "Awesome, do you know where Herb Sendek is coaching now? I should call him!"

Exactly how I feel about it. I guess everyone has to start somewhere but it seems Hurley is selling that he can coach up pros without having coached any pros. He'll be a flash in the pan IMHO.