Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

(2016) SG Grant Gelon commits to IU

1 hour ago, MadAboutIndiana said:

I have to disagree. The recruiting ranking guys have it made. Anyone can see who the top 20 are. But I don't think who they rank after the top 100 or whatever is really all that telling. Those guys do favors for access, etc. Who has the eye to rate, rank, compare all of the kids in that 100-500 tier? DWade was once ranked like 313 in his class or something. That's a meaningless ranking as is Grant's. What he brings to the table is what stands on its own. Given the players he will be playing with, it seems to me that he will have a role at IU. Provided he does what is expected of him, and there's no reason to assume he won't do that.

Rankings aren't the be all end all, but at the same time they're not completely meaningless.  Generally speaking the higher rated the recruit the higher chance of success, if a recruit is ranked that low there's probably a reason.

Rankings aren't the be all end all, but at the same time they're not completely meaningless.  Generally speaking the higher rated the recruit the higher chance of success, if a recruit is ranked that low there's probably a reason.

Plus we all saw his game results all season long. He was less effective than another player on his own high school team. I realize that he is a specialty player and a 3 point shooter but it is hard to get recognition with some of the results he posted. He may be fine for what Crean wants but he doesn't have an all around game and thus was not taken seriously by the recruiting gurus.

31 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Grant Gelon has the exact same size, and a similar skill set to Kyle Hornsby.

However, Kyle was a small town superstar in high school, Grant is more of a big school co-star.

Kyle played varsity as an 8th grader, was all state three years and theLouisiana class B player of the year.

He was also recruited by other D1 schools.  "On paper" two different talent levels but who knows what will happen?

They're meaningless. They drive traffic to websites--other than that? What's the purpose?

Yes, the higher ranked guys are better bets but anyone can point those guys out. The experts haven't even seen Gelon to have an opinion.

Recruiting rankings are for high school mommies to email Evan Daniel and Jerry Meyer about

They're meaningless. They drive traffic to websites--other than that? What's the purpose?

Yes, the higher ranked guys are better bets but anyone can point those guys out. The experts haven't even seen Gelon to have an opinion.

Recruiting rankings are for high school mommies to email Evan Daniel and Jerry Meyer about

Brain snow lives in the Indy area and has seen grant play at least once this year because I was at the same classic. I went to see grant play and it was probably his worst game of the year. 0 points. I'm not one to put a lot of stock into rankings but some of the scouting services have seen him play to form an opinion

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Brain snow lives in the Indy area and has seen grant play at least once this year because I was at the same classic. I went to see grant play and it was probably his worst game of the year. 0 points. I'm not one to put a lot of stock into rankings but some of the scouting services have seen him play to form an opinion

Once a year isn't close to enough. They can't see all of the guys enough to be able to differentiate between them once you get to a certain point in a class. This 2016 class seems extremely deep/loaded. So where Grant ultimately is ranked--whether it's 108 or 158 or 358. why should that have any meaning?

I respect the job they do etc etc but it seems to me that it's just fodder for fans to talk about in the off season. Who gives a rat's behind about high school once it's over? Lol

Personally? I think Crean was so shaken by the Devin Davis thing, along with the other players that crapped on his culture, that he went and found another Hulls type who absolutely bleeds IU basketball--doesn't hurt that he's lights out. I in no way believe the other aspects of his game are Big Ten level...yet. I just find it odd there's so much second guessing. Seems to me like just the kind of kid Crean has had good teams with. Remember when everyone counted on having Hartman's scholarship open up?.......

Gelon has performed nowhere near the guys he keeps getting compared to (Roth, Hornsby, Z). Shoulda let him walk on. That scholly is too valuable to sit the end of the bench. Jumped  the gun IMO.

You saw a lot of Roth and Nick Z in HS, did you?

I just gave an one example I'm sure snow has watched him more then once. For me from what I have seen of him live he wasn't as good as Hartman was his senior year when I watched him live. No denying his stroke. His form on his shot is text book but from the games I watched it just wasn't his night. He wasn't getting doubled or tripled he just had a bad game. Having said all of this I'm excited to see how he turns out once he gets some more strength because he has good size

Will he be a Priller or a Hartman? He was ranked and recruited more like a Priller. I was wrong about Hartman though. I wrote him off early. He was out shadowed by Jalen Coleman in High School. He is not very athletic but he is a serviceable, good component to our team. He is not dynamic and never will be but he is a good player to have. I was wrong here in a way.

I think Gelon could become a piece for us but I don't know. He finds it hard to get shots in high school. He will be a liability on defense. Ziesloft was many of these same things for us. I like shooters but I like them to have other areas of strengths.

Give me a Forbes type player where you aren't compromising in so many other facets. Heck even, The Flamethrower, Hoetzel was very promising as an under recruited 3 star. Or, a grad transfer shooter who has shown the ability to do it on the college level.

I never really understood this signing and especially the timing. Crean may prove me wrong like Hartman (granted he was nationally acclaimed) or prove me right (Priller/April/etc)

People also need to understand that recruiting a guy like Gelon, a NW Indiana kid,  makes sense.  It could help open a pipeline for Indiana to recruit for years to come in an area that we typically don't do well in, it fulfills the need to replace a shooter like Nick Z, and he's a 4 year player. 

I laugh out loud and then get pissed off when I read our Fanbase say something like Grant needs to Walkon, or that Crean jumped the gun offering to this kid. Chances are Crean and Staff know more about all things Basketball than you do, just stop.

People also need to understands that recruiting a guy like Gelon, a NW Indiana kid,  makes sense.  It could help open a pipeline for Indiana to recruit for years to come in an area that we typically don't do well in, it fulfills the need to replace a shooter like Nick Z, and he's a 4 year player. 

I laugh out loud and then get pissed off when I read our Fanbase say something like Grant needs to Walkon, or that Crean jumped the gun offering to this kid. Chances are Crean and Staff know more about all things Basketball than you do, just stop.

April, Priller, Etherington, etc..... It is fair for us as fans to question any and all things. That is the fun part. Our coach has hit some home runs with Vic and OG and others and has struck out with others. He doesn't know all or have a flawless recruiting record.

But I'm sure he has a plan.

Will he be a Priller or a Hartman? He was ranked and recruited more like a Priller. I was wrong about Hartman though. I wrote him off early. He was out shadowed by Jalen Coleman in High School. He is not very athletic but he is a serviceable, good component to our team. He is not dynamic and never will be but he is a good player to have. I was wrong here in a way.

I think Gelon could become a piece for us but I don't know. He finds it hard to get shots in high school. He will be a liability on defense. Ziesloft was many of these same things for us. I like shooters but I like them to have other areas of strengths.

Give me a Forbes type player where you aren't compromising in so many other facets. Heck even, The Flamethrower, Hoetzel was very promising as an under recruited 3 star. Or, a grad transfer shooter who has shown the ability to do it on the college level.

I never really understood this signing and especially the timing. Crean may prove me wrong like Hartman (granted he was nationally acclaimed) or prove me right (Priller/April/etc)

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/bryn-forbes

Just remember Forbes was a 2 star and unranked coming into college

Kind of my point.

If we want a shooter with limited intangibles, grad transfer route would be perfect to find one that has demonstrated the ability to do so in college.

Or take a flier on a kid that can shot lights out like a Forbes and hope he develops into what Forbes turned into after his 4 or 5 years in college.

Why take a flier in the age of the grad transfer? I would think you would want to limit taking fliers while recruiting at Indiana.

In the back of my mind, I wonder if Crean is just looking to fill the end of roster with quality kids that won't fuss about not getting PT. Better team chemistry, etc. idk.

Why take a flier in the age of the grad transfer? I would think you would want to limit taking fliers while recruiting at Indiana.

In the back of my mind, I wonder if Crean is just looking to fill the end of roster with quality kids that won't fuss about not getting PT. Better team chemistry, etc. idk.

i don't mind taking a flier on a kid when our guard depth seems to be solid barring injuries. Some coaches recruit on instinct why limit that. If it works out you look like a great talent finder if not only people on message boards will remember you recruited a dud. I know most programs do not even use all of their 13 schollys for the year

I don't think that's the aim at all. They believe he's gonna be a player.

But the thing that a lot miss... There's a human aspect here. Crean is known for this kind of thing. He saw something special in Grant. Maybe it's his unassuming personality? Maybe he thinks he will grow into the model/leader like Zeisloft? Following his gut when it comes to scouting is a very good thing for IU! We all aren't privy to the most important information anyways, so it's hard to tell why some things happen the way they do

It's definitely going to be fun to see what Grant does.