Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

(2016) SG Grant Gelon commits to IU

"Absolutely no bearing"...come on, I agree with "fit" on a team but if he was a player he would have done well at the cuse, IU or any other power conference school.
Also not sure why, but not surprised, you responded by calling this a "cheap shot".

Had nothing to do with you.  Don't worry about it.   And the "but not surprised" is also a cheap shot.   The personal attacks are just not necessary, no matter how subtle.  What's the point?

Crean's relationships with in state coaches is already awful. I'm not the only one who doesn't like his focus on east coast kids. Hollowell didn't make it at Indiana. Remy Abell didn't (from just across the river). Devin Davis didn't. Gelon wouldn't be the first. Crean wears people out, he talks about himself a lot, he uses Dwayne Wade every chance he can, and high school coaches know he's a churn and burn guy who doesn't necessarily want 4 year players. Gelon was a surprise to me because there's no way he's a "help right now" kid, which showed me (or at least I wanted it to show me) Crean might be changing his ways a bit; but Gelon will not do much if any more damage with local coaches than has already been done.

I know this is three weeks old, but I think you have cause and effect backwards. Crean focuses on East Coast kids in part because he has awful relationships with in-state coaches.

Wait, seriously? So all one and dones and two and dones?

Speak for yourself. I like my players to develop and not jump to the League.

I didn't say just one and dones. But they should be able to contribute a little as freshman and more as sophomores. Whether they come back as Juniors is their decision. Grant Gelons and Tim Prillers won't win you any titles.

Red shirting makes no sense in the 13 scholarship limit era. Doesn't seem to be much value in investing 5 years for a player not ready to play. If they do develop positively, they often go pro or transfer.

The relaxed Grad Transfer rules have a big effect too. Why develop the player and take a scholarship when someone else can develop them for you?

I know this is three weeks old, but I think you have cause and effect backwards. Crean focuses on East Coast kids in part because he has awful relationships with in-state coaches.

Perhaps.  I don't claim to know reasons behind things, but I will never understand why we go to New York to get a 3* kid early in a recruiting period.    I don't understand Tim Priller, Peter Jurkin, Stanford Robinson, Guy-Marc Michele, Emmit Holt, or any other off the radar kid from some other geographic area.   The way I see it, the lower part of your roster should be filled with glue guys.  Guys who understand the culture and the "why."  I may be the only guy on this site who thinks the way I do, and I'm cool with that.   Gelon may be a bottom of the roster guy, and he's damned sure not on the 2016-17 roster to help us win a title.  If he ends up being Matt Roth, he can help later in his career.  I am far more okay with Gelon than I am with Priller or Robinson.  

I think any coach at this level needs to be able to promise the top of his roster playing time, and I suppose for immediate impact kids, I'm willing to expand my thinking a bit.  I used to be "5* kids only from out of area."   Might not be realistic.  But at Indiana - and Indiana is unique, I think we need enough kids who understand exactly where they are.  I think we've had too many who didn't.   If that means the bottom of the roster is filled with Indiana kids who may or may not have any kind of impact for a couple of years, that's what it means.  And I know one thing for sure....OG Annunoby and Juwon Morgan know where they are.

Normally I side with much of what Old Friend says. Not so much this time. Robinson as a junior was a high rated recruit. Many wanted him. His game slipped and he seemed to have many other interests than basketball.

We need talented, skilled players that want to WIN first. From anywhere geographically but a true desire to win. We need 10-11 like this. We can have 2-3 energy, scholastic, glue type guys.

Priller isn't skilled enough, or athletic enough. Robinson was a miss on attitude and shooting. Holt was fine for an under the radar guy on the court. Hollowell, an off the court miss from Indiana. Buss an off the court miss from Indiana. DDavis an off the court miss from Indiana.

We need top notch skill guys with a team first mentality. Gelon may turn into a player/shooter for us, but he isn't having a stellar year.

I personally think all 13 players should be players that can contribute. But if egos can't be controlled I am okay with taking 10 players and 3 student athletes.

Wait, seriously? So all one and dones and two and dones?

Speak for yourself. I like my players to develop and not jump to the League.

not my statement but as others have pointed out, Crean doesn't use the redshirt so the point is moot. However, I also agree that in Crean's system/way he manages rosters, if one doesn't contribute at all by the end if his sophomore year he is a dead man walking

I didn't say just one and dones. But they should be able to contribute a little as freshman and more as sophomores. Whether they come back as Juniors is their decision. Grant Gelons and Tim Prillers won't win you any titles.

frank kaminsksi didn't contribute his freshman or sophomore year and he turned out to be a pretty good 4 year player