Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

WayneFleekHoosier

(2016) PG Devonte Green to INDIANA

Yes, Looking at his career closer now I went too far in my post, but he was a mid 2nd round pick who I believe was released twice (Cleveland and San Antonio) before latching on with the Spurs. It's not like a ton of mid-second rounders make it like Green has.

Danny was a projected late first early second round pick. A lot of people thought he'd be an NBA player.

No. Our class is currently 2 4* kids, a late rising 3* and a largely unranked kid, who, due to his Hoosier DNA, must possess at least 4* intangibles. Or so people keep telling me.
And we're still in on Maker, who's a 5* by any definition.
Everything I read about Green portrays him as a tough, competitive, driven kid. If true, to me that's as Hoosier as it gets and I'm glad to have him.
Welcome to the family Devonte.

Haha love it demo, one of my favorite posts in a long time. So true

No. Our class is currently 2 4* kids, a late rising 3* and a largely unranked kid, who, due to his Hoosier DNA, must possess at least 4* intangibles. Or so people keep telling me.
And we're still in on Maker, who's a 5* by any definition.
Everything I read about Green portrays him as a tough, competitive, driven kid. If true, to me that's as Hoosier as it gets and I'm glad to have him.
Welcome to the family Devonte.

Bingo.

We have a winner.

For the sake of the discussion.  All of this is fine.  I'm sure the kid has "wowed" some people, and I'm sure he has athletic ability.  I want to know how he makes Crean's system better.  How he helps Indiana win consistently.  How he can be part of a group that moves Indiana from a very mediocre level to something higher : AGREED!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

1)  We play too fast now.  We don't need any more "fast."  We need "smart" and "efficient."

2)  Lockdown defender?  A 3* kid?  We'll see.  Would be great.  He has length and athletic ability.  Does he WANT to be a lockdown defender?

3)  I am not impressed by kids who can windmill dunk.  I don't care one bit.   Can find that on any playground in New York.  Not a transferrable skill to a Big Ten basketball floor.  

4)  "Known for scoring" means he's another kid who's used to individual skills.  We don't need that.  Like hearing he's a solid defender, but that's against high school kids.   Can he "lock down" a 20 year old college junior who's smart and understands positioning and angles?  His athletic ability is useless against a kid like that.

5)  Every kid we sign according to someone is going to be fantastic.  Guy-Marc Michele was highly touted by some.  Peter Jurkin was. Mike White was.  Bawa Muniru was.  Just because some coach says he's athletic doesn't make him a Big Ten player or an Indiana player.  Does he know how to create angles?  Can he make team mates better?  Does he understand turnovers and bad shots are NOT acceptable and not "part of the game?"  (I don't think his new college coach does..)

I just don't understand why this type of player is so sought after.  Our brand of basketball does not win on a national level, has never won consistently, and our coach has not shown he can take a roster full of kids like this and win year after year.  

Like I said before, it's nothing against the kid.  I just don't understand the philosophy.

However, it seems like it's almost everything against the kid. 

Who you have never seen play. 

Meanwhile, IU continues to recruit local kids Wilkes, Scruggs, Masa, Langford, Phinisee and Malik as hard as possible because they are Indiana kids who the staff feel are the right combination of talent and fit.

I am usually a big proponent of ratings and stars systems, but I really like this kid. Really, really like this kid. Basketball family, basketball DNA, athletic, multiple skill sets, stacks the stat sheets with points, Rebs, and assists. Not really sure what to dislike here.

So:

Guards
1. Newkirk
2. Rob John
3. Blackmon?
4. Curtis Jones
5. Devonte Green

Wings
1. Gelon
2. Troy?
3. OG
4. Hartman

Bigs
1. Thomas Bryant
2. Deron Davis
3. Juwan Morgan
4. Priller

Is my math right??? 13 now? Am I missing anyone?

I am usually a big proponent of ratings and stars systems, but I really like this kid. Really, really like this kid. Basketball family, basketball DNA, athletic, multiple skill sets, stacks the stat sheets with points, Rebs, and assists. Not really sure what to dislike here.

So:

Guards
1. Newkirk
2. Rob John
3. Blackmon?
4. Curtis Jones
5. Devonte Green

Wings
1. Gelon
2. Troy?
3. OG
4. Hartman

Bigs
1. Thomas Bryant
2. Deron Davis
3. Juwan Morgan
4. Priller

You got it, brother

I'm not sure the numbers, but assuming Troy leaves, we need another wing. Hopefully one that is long, athletic and can shoot a little. Those guys don't grow on trees, but we'll need it.

So:
Guards
1. Newkirk
2. Rob John
3. Blackmon?
4. Curtis Jones
5. Devonte Green
Wings
1. Gelon
2. Troy?
3. OG
4. Hartman
Bigs
1. Thomas Bryant
2. Deron Davis
3. Juwan Morgan
4. Priller

My post was about Indiana vs east coast recruiting and about my excitement for Green and it was deleted I'm guessing for not being 100% about Green, only to have just about every post thereafter be about everything but Green and those are all still here. Like Crean, just asking for a little consistency

And Hollowell, and Patterson, and Ronnie Johnson, and Kelsey Barlow, and on, and on...and on.

Old Friend:  I AGREE WITH THE PRINCIPLE of IU getting kids who "get it". 

Wherever they may be: Whether it's Washington, Indiana, or Upper Marlboro, Maryland, or Jefferson City, Missouri, or in our own backyard at Bloomington South, or hopefully, as of today, on Long Island.

Oh my gosh Stu is this the first night you discovered you can change the fonts and stuff on here? What is happening in your posts?

My post was about Indiana vs east coast recruiting and about my excitement for Green and it was deleted I'm guessing for not being 100% about Green, only to have just about every post thereafter be about everything but Green and those are all still here. Like Crean, just asking for a little consistency

On the last page Natural made a warning to keep it about Green, which will include how next year's team will look with Green.  Also, we've made it known in the past to keep the recruiting threads clean of any debates and derailing.  We let some stuff slide, but multiple posters did the same, so we had to delete posts.  Nothing personal, and we are not censoring people who do not share our views, but we have a basketball forum to discuss how we wished Crean recruited.  The mods and certain posters put in a lot of time with these recruiting threads up to date, and out of respect for them, we want to keep it about the recruits.

My apologies. I wasn't hiding posts but I see your point. I'll hide mine and encourage you, OldFriend, Bailey or whoever would like to talk about recruiting from a geographical perspective to start a thread on it. Should be a good discussion