Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

drewheck

Antonio Allen

I'm concerned that it said Allen's roommates were present for one of the drug deals. I'm assuming he lives with football players.

Also, unpopular opinion time: while I wholeheartedly agree this is an awful look for the program and should be avoided at all costs, I'm fine taking on a couple of risky personalities who can elevate the team to the next level.

The article didn't say roommates, it simply says there were other people there. If they were teammates, I would expect further dismissals/suspensions.

The article didn't say roommates, it simply says there were other people there. If they were teammates, I would expect further dismissals/suspensions.

Thanks for the correction. Thought I read somewhere it was roommates. Let's hope for no more of this type of news this offseason

http://arrestnation.com/2015-stats/

Very interesting site that goes along with our discussion

Those are interesting stats although I am not sure what conclusions you can make when the range of arrests for schools only goes from 0 to 5 even if IU is at 4.  Yes we are close to the top but I would guess if you dug into long term trends the schools that get 0 arrests and the schools that get 5 arrests is pretty much random.  

We are talking about hundreds of student athletes at each school.  These are 18-22 year olds, many of which come from tough socio-economic backgrounds.  The underlying issue of these arrests goes much deeper than anything the administration is doing at any school.

Those are interesting stats although I am not sure what conclusions you can make when the range of arrests for schools only goes from 0 to 5 even if IU is at 4.  Yes we are close to the top but I would guess if you dug into long term trends the schools that get 0 arrests and the schools that get 5 arrests is pretty much random.  

We are talking about hundreds of student athletes at each school.  These are 18-22 year olds, many of which come from tough socio-economic backgrounds.  The underlying issue of these arrests goes much deeper than anything the administration is doing at any school.

Except the administration is allowing these individuals on campus knowing the background. Driven by the almighty $$.

Find me evidence that IU is taking more risks on kids with bad backgrounds.  Until then it seems to me at any school these are isolated incidents,

From appearances to me, I think its actually the opposite. We don't take a ton of chances. 

Alright, I'm not exactly seeing what you think FG and staff ought to do. Until they know there is a problem they can't do anything about it. So the only problem I know of, is the swept under the rug drug tests for the basketball team. As far as other issues, I have never seen any other info that says they had prior knowledge that would require action. If Allen's drug dealing was known to the AD or coaches, and they ignored it, then you have a point, but I doubt he was declaring it to the staff. So in all three arrests with the football team here lately, I can only see post-incident action as being appropriate. If they had prior knowledge of the problems, then there is a issue. While the AD and coaches do have responsibility to keep an eye out on things, young adults learn that the rules can be worked around with a little keeping your mouth shut and keeping things out of sight.

Its not like this is all something new that has popped up under FG and the current coaching staff's. Although I don't recall dealing meth coming up before, drugs and alcohol have been part of college athletics (and college in general) for a long time and IU is no exception. It seems to me that the AD is dealing with these situations pretty swiftly and firmly at this point.

9 substance arrests since the start of 2014 is a problem.   A systemic problem.   Character matters.   The kind of role model a coach is matters.   Either we're not recruiting the right kind of kid, or the coaches aren't doing their homework.   This is not happening on this scale at other places, and if we want to maintain any integrity at all, enough is enough.    Excusing it by saying it happens everywhere does not solve the problem, and is not correct.   What has happened at Indiana in the last 19 months certainly does not happen everywhere.   How are leaders being held accountable?   I don't see it.  What I do see, like I said, is systemic failure.

9 substance arrests since the start of 2014 is a problem.   A systemic problem.   Character matters.   The kind of role model a coach is matters.   Either we're not recruiting the right kind of kid, or the coaches aren't doing their homework.   This is not happening on this scale at other places, and if we want to maintain any integrity at all, enough is enough.    Excusing it by saying it happens everywhere does not solve the problem, and is not correct.   What has happened at Indiana in the last 19 months certainly does not happen everywhere.   How are leaders being held accountable?   I don't see it.  What I do see, like I said, is systemic failure.

I haven't checked at other places, but I suspect that it does happen, whether or not the arrests are made. I highly doubt that the scale is different in anything except the arrests. I did not excuse anything, thank you. It appears  to me that the individuals are being held accountable. Another one of your witch hunts on the IU athletics system seems a bit much.

I haven't checked at other places, but I suspect that it does happen, whether or not the arrests are made. I highly doubt that the scale is different in anything except the arrests. I did not excuse anything, thank you. It appears  to me that the individuals are being held accountable. Another one of your witch hunts on the IU athletics system seems a bit much.

Just catching up on Facebook and came across this..

Three off-the-field incidents, punching a woman in the face with closed fist

This came hours after the other incident, three LSU players arrested

Agreed, it is inexcusable but it's not like it is limited to IU.  If these things are being covered up by the staff there is a bigger problem.

Just catching up on Facebook and came across this..

Three off-the-field incidents, punching a woman in the face with closed fist

This came hours after the other incident, three LSU players arrested

Agreed, it is inexcusable but it's not like it is limited to IU.  If these things are being covered up by the staff there is a bigger problem.

Bad, yes.  Comparable offenses in the eyes of the law, probably not... 

Just can't stay out of trouble.    "...charged with three felonies involving an alleged incident at an apartment in the 8100 block of Century Circle West on the city's north side: robbery/taking property by force or threatening the use of force while armed, criminal confinement while armed with a deadly weapon, and burglary."

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2016/12/10/former-iu-football-player-antonio-allen-arrested-marion-county/95256628/

1 hour ago, ThompsonHoosier said:

I just find it annoying that the IndyStar uses the headline "Former IU football player..." Yeah he was part of the program but he was dismissed over a year ago and he has played for two other schools already (Indiana State and Marion University).

No one cares if you say "former Marian University football player arrested for armed robbery." When you put "former IU football player" you're gonna get more clicks.