Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

This has been pointed out before, but it may not be on the athletic department. Bob Knight became "untouchable" at Indiana. It seems, and has been mentioned, that the university powers do not want to deal with another situation like that.

The admin has a decision to make.  Sports are the world's window into a university.  I've said several times that were in not for men's basketball, Duke would be Elon.  Do we want a successful program or.....not?   What are we willing to risk in order to win consistently?

These questions and their answers are the reason I think IU is sitting on a "Brad Stevens or bust" scenario because he's the one guy I don't think anyone worries about.   If not him, mediocrity seems okay with President McRobbie and Fred Glass.  Even though I know it kills Glass because he's a fan first.   Indiana did this to itself over the course of time, and now we're stuck in a rut of mediocrity and asking fans to be okay with it after spoiling them with one of the best in history.   The powers that be are truly stuck.

The admin has a decision to make.  Sports are the world's window into a university.  I've said several times that were in not for men's basketball, Duke would be Elon.  Do we want a successful program or.....not?   What are we willing to risk in order to win consistently?

These questions and their answers are the reason I think IU is sitting on a "Brad Stevens or bust" scenario because he's the one guy I don't think anyone worries about.   If not him, mediocrity seems okay with President McRobbie and Fred Glass.  Even though I know it kills Glass because he's a fan first.   Indiana did this to itself over the course of time, and now we're stuck in a rut of mediocrity and asking fans to be okay with it after spoiling them with one of the best in history.   The powers that be are truly stuck.

I agree. My best guess is that we have spoken with Brad Stevens privately and that he is our next guy, just not now. I still think he will be our next head coach.

T If not him, mediocrity seems okay with President McRobbie and Fred Glass.  Even though I know it kills Glass because he's a fan first.   Indiana did this to itself over the course of time, and now we're stuck in a rut of mediocrity and asking fans to be okay with it after spoiling them with one of the best in history.   The powers that be are truly stuck.

I think the admin is completely find with mediocrity because the University and the program are still making money. So to them the constant flow of cash = success. I think IU will do really good this year but it is inevitable that Crean gets fired here in the next couple years.

amen, brother...

Glass is the right man for IU athletics...

he's a Hoosier...just like you and me.

I am trying to remember the background that Glass came from. I believe we were having financial issues and he was more from the business side and got the program out of the red.

I think the time has come for us to hire an AD from the sports side that has been in the trenches and had to maintain a top program.  I like that he is an IU guy.  So is Chris Reynolds.  I hope to have him back as an AD some day.

Glass made a big financial commitment to Crean. He has to honor that decision or face the scrutiny of wasting a lot of the University's money.  Glass knows if Crean has to go with several years left on a contract, he could be next.  Crean needs to do a better job so Glass can keep his job.

I am trying to remember the background that Glass came from. I believe we were having financial issues and he was more from the business side and got the program out of the red.

IIRC, he's a lawyer and his firm helped Indy procure the Super Bowl just before he was hired as AD.

As far as fixing the financials, he was hired just as BTN was started and every team in the conference got an extra $20-25 mil a year. So to me, that's a chicken/egg kind of argument.

Not sure how this has turned into a Fred Glass discussion, but......

I admit I was not a big fan of the hiring.  I did not a think hiring a man with no prior athletic experience made any sense.  In the years, since, I have come to change my mind.  I think Glass has only one made faux pas and that was giving the large and long extension to Crean.  I can understand the exuberance he had, but even at the time I thought it was a crazy move. 

Before Glass IU athletics had two sports; Basketball and Soccer.  Everything else was a joke.  He has done much to bring all the other sports into respectability.  Still have a ways to go with Football, but even there, he has made strides, and is getting more butts in the seats, which helps everything else.

I think he will learn from his mistake, and if Crean does not show some success soon, he will be out the door, and I have every confidence that Fred Glass will be able to find the right person to take the reigns.  

IIRC, he's a lawyer and his firm helped Indy procure the Super Bowl just before he was hired as AD.

As far as fixing the financials, he was hired just as BTN was started and every team in the conference got an extra $20-25 mil a year. So to me, that's a chicken/egg kind of argument.

Kind of.   He was a lawyer, but when the city landed the Super Bowl, he led a group here called the Capital Improvement Board, which is the group that helped Indy secure the Super Bowl.   He was a lawyer with Baker & Daniels before that.

Not sure how this has turned into a Fred Glass discussion, but......
I admit I was not a big fan of the hiring.  I did not a think hiring a man with no prior athletic experience made any sense.  In the years, since, I have come to change my mind.  I think Glass has only one made faux pas and that was giving the large and long extension to Crean.  I can understand the exuberance he had, but even at the time I thought it was a crazy move. 
Before Glass IU athletics had two sports; Basketball and Soccer.  Everything else was a joke.  He has done much to bring all the other sports into respectability.  Still have a ways to go with Football, but even there, he has made strides, and is getting more butts in the seats, which helps everything else.
I think he will learn from his mistake, and if Crean does not show some success soon, he will be out the door, and I have every confidence that Fred Glass will be able to find the right person to take the reigns.

Mark Spitz and Indiana Swimming says hello. Probably the greatest of all athletes to ever attend Indiana.

Doc Councilman was a legend in collegiate swimming. His programs produced 6 NCAA champions, 23 Big Ten titles. While he was at IU, Doc coached 60 Olympic swimmers. If that's not excellence, I don't know what is!

And let's don't forget Hobie Billingsley and his diving program.

I think Colin is a good barometer of where the casual or general fan age 40+ views Indiana as a program. Colin is a self-avowed "casual" college basketball fan. One that basically only checks-in in March for about 5 weeks. He, and many of the same type of fan of that age, still see Indiana that way. I think his staff, mostly made up of youngsters, sees Indiana as most Gen Y and Millennial's view it; as a middling program. They have never seen Indiana be "Indiana". They do not know or realize that with simply the right coaching hire, this program will be back up to Blue Blood status.

Like it or not, but the last generation to really know and understand Indiana Basketball is Generation X. Those of us from 35-45. We were in our late childhood to teens during the last great run of Hoosier basketball ('85-'95). If the next hire is not a Home Run, we will lose yet another generation.