Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
ccgeneral

Isaac Griffith arrested for OWI

Indiana University football player Isaac Griffith was arrested early Saturday in Bloomington on drunken-driving charges, just more than a year after he nearly drowned while on vacation.

Griffith, a sophomore receiver from Fort Wayne, was booked on preliminary charges of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated with endangerment, operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated with a blood alcohol content above 0.08, and illegal consumption, according to Lt. Craig Munroe, a spokesman for the Indiana University Police Department.

Munroe said Griffith was arrested at 3:54 a.m., near the intersection of 19th and Dunn streets, when an officer noticed that his vehicle had its high beams on and pulled him over.

"Once the stop was made, the officer observed the odor of an alcoholic beverage," Munroe said.

Griffith, 20, bonded out of jail later Saturday, according to the statewide jail registry.

"We are aware of the situation and currently gathering more facts," Jeff Keag, a team spokesman, said Saturday in response to a request for comment on Griffith's arrest.

Griffith nearly drowned in March 2014, when he was caught in a riptide, while swimming in Florida with two teammates and a friend. He was kept in a medically induced coma for two days at Sarasota Memorial Hospital, until he was able to recover.

The Sarasota County Sheriff's Department report mentioned that the four had been drinking before the accident but took no further details. Griffith said later at a news conference in Bloomington after his recovery that "alcohol did not factor in the situation."

It's all college students. We've all "almost died" and gone on to make stupid mistakes.

I'm not sure I follow unless your post was sarcasm. My near-death college experience would be at the hands of my parents if I ever did something like drive under the influence or get arrested for weed.

These young adults have so many perks in college and continue to make dumb decisions.  They have dozens of teammates and friends who could drive them home or they could CALL A FREAKING CAB.  Hopefully this is a wake up call and prevents a future incident that could end up much worse.  Learn and teach Isaac.