Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

hyzy

Devin Davis cited for marijuana possession

I understand the cumulative argument but I disagree. I think 4-8 games is fair and we move on. I don't think dismissing him will deter any of the guys on this team from changing how they act moving forward.

No one is saying kick him off the team for just this. They're taking everything into account when saying kick him off.

Numerous people on here and elsewhere asked many times why Stan and Troy were still on the team after failing drug tests last year. If I had to guess many would still be calling for Devin to be kicked off even if he was not involved in the accident last year and had not gotten in trouble in the past.

Numerous people on here and elsewhere asked many times why Stan and Troy were still on the team after failing drug tests last year. If I had to guess many would still be calling for Devin to be kicked off even if he was not involved in the accident last year and had not gotten in trouble in the past.

I think the key word in your first sentence is "tests"  They didn't just fail one test, they failed multiple tests. 

Of course there would be people calling for Devin to be kicked off the team.  We all look at these things differently.

I believe in 2nd chances, I draw the line at 3rd chances.  Devin was given a 2nd chance, he chose to spit on it.

These kids are given opportunities that most cannot even begin to visualize.  The players need to be held accountable for their decisions. 

The pot is of very little concern to me. It is the failure to learn thru mulitple infractions that you must follow your coaches and universities rules and regulations.

If they can't do something as simple as not break the law and not do drugs, then I have no confidence that they will follow the coaches instructions when he tells them to go set a screen, or play help defense or take a charge. Lots of people have heard the word Coachable. You have to be Coachable in real life as well!!

Speaking for myself, Stan should've been kicked off that was his 3rd incident. Troy should've been punished harder than standing in the corner, I mean what was essentially a 2 game suspension, not necessarily booted.

If this was Devin's first I'd be okay with a suspension for a couple games, but it's not. I'm fine with giving second chances but don't push your luck thinking you'll get third or 4th chances.

is it against team rules for players 21 and older to drink beer etc? No? Why not then?

I did not attend IU, but I played Golf at a small Methodist school in KY and all student athletes were forced to sign a student-athlete code of honor book that stated we would not partake in drugs or alcohol while attending school on scholarship. This said nothing about age it was just common knowledge that you could/would lose scholarship if you got caught doing either.

Again, that could be exclusive to KWC since it was a bible belt school, but I would have to imagine it is more comman than not.

Troy and Stan had multiple failed drug tests and Stan had the ID incident with Yogi. No one has ever called for players to be kicked off for just one incident.

Pure speculation on your part. You have nothing upon which to base that assertion.

I understand the cumulative argument but I disagree. I think 4-8 games is fair and we move on. I don't think dismissing him will deter any of the guys on this team from changing how they act moving forward.

Then those guys can pack their bags too and follow Devin out the door. Smoking weed in the dorms of all places shows that they really have no respect for authority or fear of punishment. If the threat of being kicked off the team if they get caught isn't enough to stop them then it shows how little they care about playing basketball for IU.

I think most of the posts here are right, (ie. I don't think there is a right or wrong opinion on the matter). Smoking dope doesn't carry the same societal stigma is once did, but it can still speak to poor judgement on the behalf of the user when such little regard is shown towards one's own history and team rules. Given the number of people on the team who seem to display such a common absence of judgement, it's not out of the question to wonder if this is symptomatic of a larger issue? Do the players respect Crean? Clearly some do, but apparently not all. Do they respect the University, and the rule of law? Again, some do, but not all. Are they committed to putting aside their recreational pursuits in order to attain greatness? Sadly, I think too many are not. I don't follow enough of the other teams to know if this is part and parcel of today's college athletic scene, of if it is more indicative of a select few universities in which IU happens to reside? If the former, then we may have to adjust our way of thinking towards such antics, accepting that this is the new "norm". If the latter, it may be Crean who needs the adjustment.

Pure speculation on your part. You have nothing upon which to base that assertion.

it is speculation but it is based on the consistent mentality on this site every time anything negative happens.  Stan and Troy's punishment for the multiple failed tests was the same punishment that every player on pretty much every team in the country receives for a second failed drug test yet people were calling for them to be kicked off. There's your evidence right there that there would be people calling for a player to be kicked off without any prior incident.

Kicking Devin off the team is way too heavy handed.  You are not teaching him or the other players on the team some grand lesson by kicking him off.

Ah screw it... I say let everyone sweat it out, then let DD stay.  IDGAF about them smoking, although it is just straight stupidity that he did it in the dorms. 

DD plays a crucial social role on the team, he really is a "glue guy" and helps our team chemistry immensely.  He's recently recovered from a horrible accident and hasn't played ball all year. 

Keep DD on the team.. he's not going to get much playing time this year anyways.  I don't care that he had pot one bit, that doesn't define who he is or his work ethic to me.

According to a poster on this board these guys were all doing it just didnt get caught.

I would challenge the assertion that Vic, Will, Jordy, Christian (and) Cody did it (smoked weed), but just failed to get caught. That's bordering on libel - just because someone posted it on this (or any forum) does not mean that it's true.

I would challenge the assertion that Vic, Will, Jordy, Christian (and) Cody did it (smoked weed), but just failed to get caught. That's bordering on libel - just because someone posted it on this (or any forum) does not mean that it's true.

I have no actual knowledge if they did or did not but if I had to guess at some point at least a couple of them tried it.

C-wat was definitely smoking pot.  Vic and Will were definitely getting drunk around campus. Cant speak for the others.  It's one thing to engage in those activities like most college students, quite another to drive drunk or get caught with 30 grams, I mean, Jesus, 30 grams is a lot of pot for one person. Either DD is a heavy heavy smoker, or he was dealing, or he was getting a lot of people high.  

C-wat was definitely smoking pot. Vic and Will were definitely getting drunk around campus. Cant speak for the others. It's one thing to engage in those activities like most college students, quite another to drive drunk or get caught with 30 grams, I mean, Jesus, 30 grams is a lot of pot for one person. Either DD was a heavy heavy smoker, or he was dealing, or he was getting a lot of people high.

DD wasn't caught with 30 grams. The citation said it was a small amount and it was less than 30 grams. If it was higher he would've been arrested I believe.

DD wasn't caught with 30 grams. The citation said it was a small amount and it was less than 30 grams. If it was higher he would've been arrested I believe.

My mistake then, I read it was 30 grams which didn't make sense.