Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Can we all at least agree that...

Gordon is SSQ reincarnated. I always get a kick out of the staunch Crean supporters. It isn't a black and white matter. Crean has strengths and weaknesses. I tend to think his weaknesses often overshadow his strengths but I am fair enough to know it is a gray matter.

I by no means am saying it SHOULD matter more or matters more to ME. I'm saying it matters more to the high school players who goal is the NBA. (Which is damn near every college basketball player).

And Oladipo didn't come here for the tradition... He came here because of what Tom Crean did for Dwayne Wade... GET HIM TO THE NBA. VO has stated that 1,000 times.

The Indiana kids you listed are different. If you grew up in Indiana then you clearly know about Indiana basketball.

Why should growing up in Indiana be a foregone conclusion to the point that when you're recruiting outside the state, you don't mention it??   I would bet most Indiana kids don't know much about Notre Dame basketball; and it's in Indiana.   Tradition matters.  Kids here know about Indiana because of the tradition, lore, history, and expectations.   They know a hell of a lot more about Indiana than they do about Purdue or Ball State.   So why would Crean not absolutely sell it when he's in someone's living room?   I want kids to know absolutely why it's important to beat Purdue and I don't want to have to lose twice like we did this season for kids like Johnson to figure it out when Purdue's got local kids who already know!    

Oladipo found a coach after that USA 19U team he played on, went and worked for a few months, and came back his sophomore year as a new player.   Went back to the same coach the following summer with similar results.   Victor Oladipo got Victor Oladipo to the NBA.   Crean provided the vehicle during basketball season, but that credit is on the kid.  And I love him for it.

There's plenty of things that I question Tom Crean on, but typically, recruiting is at the bottom of the list.  Why are we talking about what IU is selling to recruits?  How would we know and who cares?  There's bigger fish to fry than that, the man has proven that he can recruit and develop players.  

Why should growing up in Indiana be a foregone conclusion to the point that when you're recruiting outside the state, you don't mention it?? I would bet most Indiana kids don't know much about Notre Dame basketball; and it's in Indiana. Tradition matters. Kids here know about Indiana because of the tradition, lore, history, and expectations. They know a hell of a lot more about Indiana than they do about Purdue or Ball State. So why would Crean not absolutely sell it when he's in someone's living room? I want kids to know absolutely why it's important to beat Purdue and I don't want to have to lose twice like we did this season for kids like Johnson to figure it out when Purdue's got local kids who already know!

Oladipo found a coach after that USA 19U team he played on, went and worked for a few months, and came back his sophomore year as a new player. Went back to the same coach the following summer with similar results. Victor Oladipo got Victor Oladipo to the NBA. Crean provided the vehicle during basketball season, but that credit is on the kid. And I love him for it.

I guess I'll believe you jnstead of Oladipo himself.

---> https://vine.co/v/haaB5dAQrLd

Gordon is SSQ reincarnated. I always get a kick out of the staunch Crean supporters. It isn't a black and white matter. Crean has strengths and weaknesses. I tend to think his weaknesses often overshadow his strengths but I am fair enough to know it is a gray matter.

so Gordy?

is this correct...you and ShortSpacedQuickness separated at birth?

I guess I'll believe you jnstead of Oladipo himself.

---> https://vine.co/v/haaB5dAQrLd

Oladipo's not going to throw the guy who gave him an opportunity under the bus.   Just do your research and look at his history and activity.   He did not work with IU coaches or on IU's campus the summers between his freshman and sophomore year or his sophomore and junior year; which is when he did the lion's share of his improving and where he honed his skills.   After the Indy Pro-Am, he worked with a guy associated with that series, and I think another guy with Reach USA, the team he and Hulls (and maybe Sheehey, I don't remember)  toured China with in the summer of 2011.  That's just the truth...not disparaging anyone; just laying out what happened.   And if Crean was responsible for Oladipo, what happened to Abell?  What happened to Watford?  What happened to Sheehey?  What happened to Jones?  What happened to Stanford Robinson or Jeremy Hollowell?  

What, Crean just gets the most out of a few selected players?   Or perhaps the kids themselves are responsible?   You really believe Crean picked out this diamond in the rough and built him into the #2 pick in the NBA draft?   I say, that's on the kid.  That's on work ethic and complete dedication.  College coaches get way too much credit for developing kids, and probably too much blame on other things; but in this case, the credit goes to Oladipo...not Crean.

Victor's not going to make Crean look bad or take credit away.  He's too classy a kid; and he's not the self-attention-craving type.  Crean's the public figure...the man to whom he has always claimed loyalty.  His private coach was his private coach..I don't even remember the guy's name.   And he's not going to thump his chest and tell people how hard he worked.  He's loyal to Crean and he's loyal to Indiana.  Which is great....but it doesn't mean he's telling 100% truth....and he's not.   He's simply giving credit to a man he loves.   I respect that, but you aren't giving credit to "the rest of the story."

There's plenty of things that I question Tom Crean on, but typically, recruiting is at the bottom of the list.  Why are we talking about what IU is selling to recruits?  How would we know and who cares?  There's bigger fish to fry than that, the man has proven that he can recruit and develop players.  

Because we're 16-20 with 8th and 7th place finishes in the Big Ten the last 2 seasons.   If he can recruit and develop players, why are we a middling program?

Oladipo's not going to throw the guy who gave him an opportunity under the bus. Just do your research and look at his history and activity. He did not work with IU coaches or on IU's campus the summers between his freshman and sophomore year or his sophomore and junior year; which is when he did the lion's share of his improving and where he honed his skills. After the Indy Pro-Am, he worked with a guy associated with that series, and I think another guy with Reach USA, the team he and Hulls (and maybe Sheehey, I don't remember) toured China with in the summer of 2011. That's just the truth...not disparaging anyone; just laying out what happened. And if Crean was responsible for Oladipo, what happened to Abell? What happened to Watford? What happened to Sheehey? What happened to Jones? What happened to Stanford Robinson or Jeremy Hollowell?

What, Crean just gets the most out of a few selected players? Or perhaps the kids themselves are responsible? You really believe Crean picked out this diamond in the rough and built him into the #2 pick in the NBA draft? I say, that's on the kid. That's on work ethic and complete dedication. College coaches get way too much credit for developing kids, and probably too much blame on other things; but in this case, the credit goes to Oladipo...not Crean.

Victor's not going to make Crean look bad or take credit away. He's too classy a kid; and he's not the self-attention-craving type. Crean's the public figure...the man to whom he has always claimed loyalty. His private coach was his private coach..I don't even remember the guy's name. And he's not going to thump his chest and tell people how hard he worked. He's loyal to Crean and he's loyal to Indiana. Which is great....but it doesn't mean he's telling 100% truth....and he's not. He's simply giving credit to a man he loves. I respect that, but you aren't giving credit to "the rest of the story."

In those interviews the players don't have to say anything about their coach, some choose not to. Oladipo did a lot of work to get where he is today but to ignore Crean in the development is ignorant.

Some of the other players you mentioned did develop and some were too busy hitting from a bong than practicing hitting from behind the arc.

Crean gets props for finding a player as hungry as Oladipo was while sharing the blame for finding players who just had the munchies.

The only way Crean isn't our coach in 2016-17 is if the 15-16 team somehow implodes, which we all are pretty sure won't happen...this team is talented and probably will content for a B1G championship...

But my real concern is for Gordon...can somebody get this guy a Hovahug...dude has more anger attached to him than Neil Reeds collarbone...

funny story about Neil Reed;

He went to my HS, his dad was the basketball coach.... The year after Neil's incident with RMK, his dad got fired for abusing players. LOL.
- funny how that stuff passes along

I think if Indiana reaches the Sweet 16 again Crean will be here the following year without a doubt.

This kind of sucks. It looks like we are going to lose a ton after tithis year. How the 2016 recruiting class is shaping up should be taken into consideration if we get knocked out in the Sweet Sixteen

In those interviews the players don't have to say anything about their coach, some choose not to. Oladipo did a lot of work to get where he is today but to ignore Crean in the development is ignorant.

Some of the other players you mentioned did develop and some were too busy hitting from a bong than practicing hitting from behind the arc.

Crean gets props for finding a player as hungry as Oladipo was while sharing the blame for finding players who just had the munchies.

I'm not ignoring him, but you can't have just one side of the argument.  If he gets all of this credit for Oladipo, why is Oladipo an exception?   If Crean did all of this wonderful stuff for Oladipo, why aren't 6'5" athletes lining up to come to Indiana, and why haven't others had similar success?  

Crean has sent 6 players to the NBA in 16 years.   The kid deserves a LOT more credit than Crean does.   All kids deserve a lot more credit than their coaches do, if you want the truth.  The other truth is coaches generally don't teach kids NBA-type skills while they're in college.  That's because almost every kid a coach has a chance to mentor has little to no chance to make it in the NBA, so college coaches focus on skills which will help their team win and team periods which include college sets, college plays, and college defenses.   The NBA and college basketball are entirely different animals, and kids have to seek out private coaches who can teach NBA skills.   You should check out the guys who coach NBA players...it's a long and impressive list.

I guess I have a little problem at this point saying it is do or leave. So you are saying if we win the B1G both regular season and the tournament. Get a one seed for the NCAA, then get beat by a last second shot in the Sweet 16 then Crean is gone.

Or if we barely scrape into the NCAA tournament, the team catches fire and wins until the E-8. He is good for another year.

I just don't believe in the one game makes or breaks a coach scenario, and that is what you have layed out.

Yes! Crean has put himself in this situation. For me it's FF or bust!

He has to be able to coach and make adjustments in the middle of the game.  That is, from my perspective, been his biggest detractor.  We watched Syracuse shut us down with a zone defense and he had nothing in response.  It certainly is hard to watch Mike Davis make it to the final game and Crean barely make the Sweet 16 with the talent he has had.  I seriously think the IU job is Stevens' dream job, but it is all about timing as well.  I think a lot of alumni would put up big money to get him when the time is right.  Good, bad or ugly...Go HOOSIERS!!!

Yep this is it. My foot is hanging off of the Crean train and dragging the ground. (And I'm only hanging on because I have to) He's an underachieving season away from me digging that foot into the ground and getting ripped off of the train while also getting sucked under the train and run over. In this case, my family sues him for BERGAMILLITRILLION dollars.

This concludes my metaphor taken too far.

Damnit, you ruined it when you mentioned it was a metapho! I totally would've been down for running Crean over with a train. especially for his coaching and substitution patterns