Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Bryan Medema

Potential coaching change suggestions

I have been thinking about what it would take to bring IU back to the top 10 and top 20 on a yearly basis. I think the best thing to do is look at programs that are always near the top. They always start with an AD that makes good choices. By that I mean an AD that knows college athletics and can evaluate coaching candidates intelligently. In the past their seems to have been too much emphasis on finding and Indiana guy for both football and basketball. If Alabama did this they never would have hired Satan, if Kentucky did this they never would have hired Calipari. The best qualifications a coach can have relate directly to past success. Have they had a program consistently in the top 20, do they recruit well, do the now how to be a good floor coach, can they handle the media, are they rock solid in their personal life. I can think of more but you get the idea. If Glass pulls the trigger, and he should, he needs to do it intelligently.

We don't need a top guy! Only one possible us Stephens and he'd be fantastic!!! Knight came from Army! If Bryant signs w/ us, then these conversations are mute anyway! What we need is a recruiter, COACH, fundraiser and someone who has buy in power! I'm thinking Shaka Smart!

We don't need a top guy! Only one possible us Stephens and he'd be fantastic!!! Knight came from Army! If Bryant signs w/ us, then these conversations are mute anyway! What we need is a recruiter, COACH, fundraiser and someone who has buy in power! I'm thinking Shaka Smart!

No thanks on Shaka Smart, I am not convinced his style would succeed in the B1G.

No thanks on Shaka Smart, I am not convinced his style would succeed in the B1G.

I bet he would succeed in the big 10, but I think he would fit better at a different school. I Like him as a coach, I like his program, his teams, everything about him. I just don't see him as a good fit here at Indiana. IMO

Maybe I missed it with Smart, I'll do a little more research on him. My idea was that his teams play hard, he's recruited well at a no name school and his players play hard for him! Give him an IU tradition and things could be looking up! My main point is we don't need a home run, but a real b-ball coach(maybe someone who actually played high school or college ball) and a coach that given IU's tradition will be able to take it to the next level consistently!

As many of you on here, I am very dissapointed in the current coach and his ability, or lack thereof. As I was sitting in traffic yesterday wondering about the fallout of a coaching change, a thought occured to me. As bad as I hate being an also ran program, I really think maybe the best thing to do is keep Tommy on for a couple more years. (No, that doesn't mean that I am gonna sopt complaining about him)  If IU makes a change now, it could be another setback of a few years. As has been well documented here. A good portion of us kind of want to see what Brad Stevens might be able to do with this program. Crean has already done as well as he is ever gonna do here, and Stevens probably won't leave Boston for at least 2 or 3 more years. That puts us at year 2017 to 2018 to have a real shot at landing Stevens and to have to put up with mediocre results. At that time, the minute Stevens is available, give him whatever he wants. AND, lets look best case scenario. MAYBE, just maybe Crean gets his act together and actually gets us to the tournament the next couple years. You could still get rid of him with very little resistance because, LETS BE HONEST! Just getting into the tournament is not getting it done at IU!  It would sure beat starting over YET AGAIN!