Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Bryan Medema

Potential coaching change suggestions

This whole thread is for naught based on an exclusive interview Fred Glass gave Mike Miller of the Herald-Times earlier today.   The most important paragraph:  “Tom is definitely not coaching for his job on Saturday,” Glass said. “I’ve always thought that was silly whether it was pro football, where this guy’s gotta win this wild card playoff game or that guy’s gotta win two games in the conference tournament or something to keep his job. I just think that’s silly, whether it’s the NFL, or college football or college basketball. I believe you’ve got to look at the body of work. For Tom and his years here, I think the body of work is pretty darn good and certainly merits his continued leadership of the program.”

So everyone just buckle up for another rough ride next year.

This whole thread is for naught based on an exclusive interview Fred Glass gave Mike Miller of the Herald-Times earlier today. The most important paragraph: “Tom is definitely not coaching for his job on Saturday,” Glass said. “I’ve always thought that was silly whether it was pro football, where this guy’s gotta win this wild card playoff game or that guy’s gotta win two games in the conference tournament or something to keep his job. I just think that’s silly, whether it’s the NFL, or college football or college basketball. I believe you’ve got to look at the body of work. For Tom and his years here, I think the body of work is pretty darn good and certainly merits his continued leadership of the program.”

Wouldn't read too much into political speech

This whole thread is for naught based on an exclusive interview Fred Glass gave Mike Miller of the Herald-Times earlier today. The most important paragraph: “Tom is definitely not coaching for his job on Saturday,” Glass said. “I’ve always thought that was silly whether it was pro football, where this guy’s gotta win this wild card playoff game or that guy’s gotta win two games in the conference tournament or something to keep his job. I just think that’s silly, whether it’s the NFL, or college football or college basketball. I believe you’ve got to look at the body of work. For Tom and his years here, I think the body of work is pretty darn good and certainly merits his continued leadership of the program.”

No this is absolutely par for the course right now. Notice what he doesn't say in there.

Jay Wright?

-He consistently fields pretty good teams
-He is making less than CTC. 2.29 vs 2.5 mil
-Vil is in a conference where on a few teams go to the dance
-Vil has a 6000 seat arena w/o separate practice facilities and has no space to expand

Reach out to him...to be the coach??? Bad idea I think.

Or if you meant reach out to him in another way, just to repair the relationship....that has already happened. The ball is in Knights court there.

I think that Bob Knight has such a HUGE footprint on Indiana basketball...somebody within the University needs to talk to him.  Show him respect here.  Not that we need to obey him by any means, just reach out to him.

Yeah, that's a very weak endorsement from Fred. If I were Crean, I'd start packing.

Are you being sarcastic? I really do think he's around at least another year. I don't think there's a whole lot to question there. Here's to hoping that Glass talked through the back channels to Stevens and was told "let's talk next year." Pipe dream ...I know.

Jay Wright?

-He consistently fields pretty good teams
-He is making less than CTC. 2.29 vs 2.5 mil
-Vil is in a conference where on a few teams go to the dance
-Vil has a 6000 seat arena w/o separate practice facilities and has no space to expand

I like Wright a lot. Like you basically said, he's been pretty successful with not a ton to work with.

“The buyout in some quarters is overblown,” Glass said. “I get that it’s a big number. What people don’t realize is, if that were to occur, it would get paid out over five years. It’s not like he gets a $10 million dollar check and walks out the door. It gets paid out over time as if it were his regular salary over five years, which mitigates the impact on the department and it has a set-off provision so that if he went to another school or to TV or had some other employment, that gets set off. I hesitate to even talk about it because it makes it seem like that’s some sort of consideration. It’s not. My main point is Tom is the coach here because I think he needs to be the coach here, not because we feel backed into it because of the buyout.”

“I’m really disappointed in the rough patch just like everybody else in Hoosier Nation, including Tom and the team,” Glass said. “I truly am. I go to all the games. I don’t like the losses we’ve had, but just like I wasn’t popping champagne corks in January, I’m not ready to slit my wrists now. I sense that some people are starting to pull the razor blades out of the medicine cabinet. I encourage them to put them back.”

(Didn't see anyone else post these comments by glass just his first part posted, I thought these last two parts were interesting)

My guess is that Crean is here for one more year if he can keep the current roster intact this spring....the buyout dropping off in July means that if he can keep the roster set until then (only losing one of Yogi or Troy and keeping all of the rest of the top 8 with two good recruits and Davis coming back) then they will be content to let it play out.

If the roster implodes again, Glass will know that the fan base will not be patient with another bad year the next year.

Problem with waiting is the limited options for replacements....my guess is that in such a case we swing and miss a couple times and then settle for Brad Brownwell which would be really underwhelming.

My HOPE in such a scenario (roster implodes, let Crean go late) is that we would assemble the best assistants who are former IU players --- Fife, Lewis, Cheaney, and maybe Coverdale or Guyton and bring in an older Head Coach like Crews who understands he is there for only two years and that it is a job audition for one of the assistants to prove they have what it takes or we are watching the rest of the country extremely closely for someone who is perfect for the job....Someone who will run the program with less turnover and emphasize BBIQ a bit more. I honestly think that IU's culture is perfect for getting kids in the 50-75 range or maybe 50-100 that are going to be three and four year players.

IU fans love to know their team, love a veteran team that plays the right way, and I think with IU's name you could take an approach like a Butler, or Wichita State but increase the talent just enough to make IU the premier program like that...ala Gonzaga who has basically no roster turnover.

So Glass gave Crean the vote of confidence earlier on Peegs article, but the more interesting part of that interview to me was the details on the buyout. He said it would be paid in payments 4-5 mil per year and could be drastically decreased depending on Crean's future employment.

So best case scenario we fire Crean he gets picked up by another school and we only pay him 2-3 mil per year for 3 years. That would leave plenty of money to throw at Brad Stevens and the Celtics!!!

My guess is that Crean is here for one more year if he can keep the current roster intact this spring....the buyout dropping off in July means that if he can keep the roster set until then (only losing one of Yogi or Troy and keeping all of the rest of the top 8 with two good recruits and Davis coming back) then they will be content to let it play out.

If the roster implodes again, Glass will know that the fan base will not be patient with another bad year the next year.

Problem with waiting is the limited options for replacements....my guess is that in such a case we swing and miss a couple times and then settle for Brad Brownwell which would be really underwhelming.

My HOPE in such a scenario (roster implodes, let Crean go late) is that we would assemble the best assistants who are former IU players --- Fife, Lewis, Cheaney, and maybe Coverdale or Guyton and bring in an older Head Coach like Crews who understands he is there for only two years and that it is a job audition for one of the assistants to prove they have what it takes or we are watching the rest of the country extremely closely for someone who is perfect for the job....Someone who will run the program with less turnover and emphasize BBIQ a bit more. I honestly think that IU's culture is perfect for getting kids in the 50-75 range or maybe 50-100 that are going to be three and four year players.

IU fans love to know their team, love a veteran team that plays the right way, and I think with IU's name you could take an approach like a Butler, or Wichita State but increase the talent just enough to make IU the premier program like that...ala Gonzaga who has basically no roster turnover.

I expect some turnover. We will be the same team next year, living and dying by the 3. No impact big. Need to make the change now so we have some options and give the new guy time to settle in.

Dakich show is great today. Not openly calling for Creans firing but it is clear where he sits.

"Indiana could hire its next coach in 15 seconds"

He must've been praying for Michael from Melbourne to call in.

The New England Patriots??? Does that count for Boston?

Boston is a "baseball school".

Mike Brey? Steal the #1 team in Indiana's coach.

March is here, time for Mike the Magician to disappear.

Slightly off topic, but for being an all-time great coach, Coach K's "coaching tree" is pitiful. I guess its a debate for Amaker or Brey being his best disciple and that's not saying much.