Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Bryan Medema

Potential coaching change suggestions

Agreed! I stated this in a thread yesterday. Any potential new coach should be thought of in this respect: do you want 5-6 years of Coach X or 1-2 years of Coach Crean.

We don't want to hire an average coach just to do it. This is a key moment for the program and the next coach HAS to be a home run hire.

Gregg Marshall is an unbelievable high-level coach. His name should be mentioned more. What he's done with Winthrop and Wichita State has been unbelievable. He's #2 on my list. Stevens is and should be everybody's #1.

There are three that I'd be excited about.  Stevens, Donovan, Marshall.  I really don't think the first two leave their current situations though.  Regardless, a change needs to be made.  I'd take a player/coach over Crean at this point.

Edit:  you guys are right, I like Archie Miller too.

If we're getting Miller, it better happen this year. Google Archie Miller and there's nothing but articles praising him and at least one written last night about him being one of the hottest names in the country this offseason. ( http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/archie-miller-should-be-one-of-this-spring-s-most-coveted-coaches-033712200.html ) I'd rather have Stevens or Donovan, but I don't see those as realistic right now while Miller is.

If we're getting Miller, it better happen this year. Google Archie Miller and there's nothing but articles praising him and at least one written last night about him being one of the hottest names in the country this offseason. ( http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/archie-miller-should-be-one-of-this-spring-s-most-coveted-coaches-033712200.html ) I'd rather have Stevens or Donovan, but I don't see those as realistic right now while Miller is.

Wow everyone needs to read that article. Definitely on the Miller bandwagon as well.

Dakich show is great today. Not openly calling for Creans firing but it is clear where he sits.

"Indiana absolutely a top 5/6 program".

"Indiana could hire its next coach in 15 seconds"

"99% of coaches would want to come here".

"Coaches at football schools would love to come here".

I mean seriously he has the same type of team as IU, but has coached them to utilize their strengths. Plus he doesn't try to play 12 deep. I've been screaming at Crean to shorten his bench all year. The more I read about Miller the more I'd love to have him.

I do think that IU will be in a much better position this time around when they do decide to make a change. Not many coaches wanted to step into the situation in 2008, despite how badly they might want to be the IU head coach. I don't blame any of them for passing on it. Crean didn't even realize how awful it was going to be until he got into it. 

But now, the Hoosiers have a legitimate roster, legitimate recruits, rebuilt bridges with Indiana recruiting, and a large portion of the fanbase/alums/boosters wanting a change. IU can pull guys now that they had no chance at 7 years ago. 

That said, I'm still not sold on Glass firing Crean.. unless he knows he can get the money and can get Stevens. I know the money is there, but I think many people overlook the perception of an Athletic Director paying $11 million so that an employee LEAVES the university. And even though the Hoosiers aren't winning, they are still bringing in revenue. I'd be terrified to pull that trigger if I was Glass. 

But if he could guarantee Stevens, I'm sure some boosters would foot most/all of the bill and he could cut down on the negative perception that comes with buying someone out for eight figures. 

It could only help repair a toxic relationship...IU should reach out to Bob Knight. I'm sure he has no interest but he'd have a recommendation.

Reach out to him...to be the coach??? Bad idea I think.

Or if you meant reach out to him in another way, just to repair the relationship....that has already happened. The ball is in Knights court there.

Reach out to him...to be the coach??? Bad idea I think.

Or if you meant reach out to him in another way, just to repair the relationship....that has already happened. The ball is in Knights court there,

I think he is referring to get Bob's opinion on who should be our next coach. 

Josh, good suggestion. Knight knows great coaching when he sees it. Love him or hate him, he has a brilliant basketball mind. Ask him whom he would recommend for IU.

Who is going to reach out and ask him. Coach Knight has no connections to anyone still here at IU and I honestly think he could care less about who coaches at IU. Sucks, but its mostly likely true that he could care less