Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Magnanimous

Indiana won't be Indiana until it wants to be Indiana

If you don't mind me asking, how do you know how the preparation was handled prior to Syracuse? I would love info on that if you are able to expand on that.

When the game started they had no idea how to attack the zone. That comes with preparation. No one on the team looked like they were ready to play. They looked flat. That is preparation. Also about the last 3 weeks of the season they looked tired, overworked. If they were prepared correctly these things would not look so obvious to anyone who watched the game.

We ser

When the game started they had no idea how to attack the zone. That comes with preparation. No one on the team looked like they were ready to play. They looked flat. That is preparation. Also about the last 3 weeks of the season they looked tired, overworked. If they were prepared correctly these things would not look so obvious to anyone who watched the game.

We seriously looked like an elementary team who practiced one offense against man to man, got to the game and the other team played zone. Uh, dur, what do we do know? That team was totally unprepared by the staff OR they simply quit on the staff. Knowing that group I don't think it was the later. 

Perhaps I should have referenced Dean Smith, who needed six years to get NC into the national rankings. But that wasn't the point of the post. The point of the post is that you're either part of the problem or part of the solution. The time for criticism of the overall coaching scenario is the off-season IMO. If you want to criticize specific decisions (I've done that myself) this is where to air those and see if others share your opinions. But the ridiculous roller-coaster of Crean the Redeemer and Crean the Witch that seems to pop up on this board in direct reaction to games we win and games we lose has no value as the season goes along -- again that's just my opinion.

You don't think we're positioned to compete for the national title over the next two or three years? If we don't have a mass exodus to the NBA (and I really don't see that happening), I DO believe we're going places. Coming back from the pits of last year to (barring bad luck) make the tournament this year is a good step. I think Crean truly recognized last year that a team without shooters isn't going anywhere. He's made that adjustment, and we're better for it. Yes, we need him to make more adjustments, but I for one am willing to give him the chance to do that given what he was willing to take on (the shambles that Lord Voldemort built and the fact that Dakich turned those shambles into ashes...I'm not knocking DD, we don't need our team to be an amalgamation of trash-talking, dirty-playing thugs) and the fact that we are more than respectable now. Not to mention a couple of decent years when Cody was here.

We need Hanner back, and we can't afford JBJ to sit much longer, either, but what team other than Wisconsin could weather such a back-breaking injury? Good coaching keeps you in the mix when those things happen. Witness John Beilein and Michigan not collapsing (yet) despite the loss of two key players. But also witness the games we've won without Hanner. Yes, we should have had another big man behind him, but it's not like we don't have some tall guys on the bench, they just haven't developed like we'd hoped. I still wonder why April doesn't play when we need a big body, but it's apparent to me he's destined to transfer out at the end of the year. Ditto Priller.

Ultimately results will show what happens this season, and if we go into the trashcan, I'll be in the "whatcha doin', Tommy?" line. But I don't think that's going to happen. I think we're going to ride out a successful season with a real shot at making the Sweet 16, if not more. The Maryland game shows that on any given night if the shots are falling we can take out anyone.

So I'm going to reserve judgment on the "state of the program" until we add the final chapters of this season and root-root-root for the Hoosiers. Hope I'm not the Lone Ranger here.

I do not think we are in position to compete for a NC in the next 2-3 years. I am obviously in the camp that would like to see TC gone. I hear you when you say we should be talking about this when the season is over. Even though I want Crean gone I do not believe it should be done mid-season. You mentioned Dakich, that is a good example of when coaches leave mid-season. 

Realistically, I do not know exact details of Crean's contract but I believe his buyout drops around July? I do not see administration firing him after this year much less that late into the off-season. So as much as myself and the other Crean naysayers dislike. He probably will be our coach again next year. So the good thing for everyone saying he deserves a chance to prove what he can do, he will get that chance. The bad part is you have to hear people like myself complain for another year and half (at least) because 1. that is what message boards and fan sites like this are for 2. If nobody expresses their displeasure with TC's coaching then administration will assume we are satisfied, which I am not.

Whatever happened to him?

curious myself.. i enjoyed his posts personally. He was quick to defend his stance but he definitely wasn't an idiot.

Also for a short time, the scout board changed their Web Addy to HoosierNation.com so that may be the confusion

curious myself.. i enjoyed his posts personally. He was quick to defend his stance but he definitely wasn't an idiot.

Also for a short time, the scout board changed their Web Addy to HoosierNation.com so that may be the confusion

Ah I see I remember when he was on HSN sometimes he was good and sometimes he was full of himself.

He's definitely a knowledgeable poster, but can certainly be abrasive too.  As abrasive as he can be on the board from my experience PMs with him are usually pretty pleasant.  He may not always voice his opinion in the best way, but I did enjoy what he brought to the board.

Gotta have a positive attitude. It can happen. I keep going back to Bama Football since I have ties there. Similar situation they had Bear we had Knight. Both struggled after these icons left. Bama won a title under Stallings we made a final game under Davis. But both were up and down. Finally, Mal Moore sets out to find a proven coach with championship success and lands Saban. The rest is history. He just signed his 4th straight #1 class. They aint going anywhere. We could do this here. I argue easier with basketball vs football because of roster size. Set a goal and go achieve it. I dont think we do that now.

Gregg Popovich for IU Head Coach!    :biggrin:

So if the fanbase was represented by a pie chart with 3 sections: They want Crean to coach IU, They want Crean gone, and Don't care. What percentages would the pie chart have?

Don't care would have to be less than 1%. I'm not in Btown but travel a lot of the state and talk to many IU fans. Only fans I interact with that want him are on here. Nearly every fan I talk to in person think its time for a new coach. Again, I dont get around Btown much. 70-75% gone 20-25% stay IMO. This isnt Gallup.

This may have been addressed already in this thread, but what Michigan just did to land Harbaugh is exactly what Indiana would have to do. I think there are better coaches than Crean out there, I also think it would take some serious $$$ to lure them away from where they are to come here.

I agree 100%.  IU would need to be prepared to write a blank check to get the best possible candidate.  Go big or go home.

Don't care would have to be less than 1%. I'm not in Btown but travel a lot of the state and talk to many IU fans. Only fans I interact with that want him are on here. Nearly every fan I talk to in person think its time for a new coach. Again, I dont get around Btown much. 70-75% gone 20-25% stay IMO. This isnt Gallup.

I think u r way low. I think 90% want a change as I have yet to find a crean fan in real life. I am still pulling for crean but dont like his coaching decisions.

GoColts is the girls coach at Park Tudor; never have come across someone with self importance like that guy... The Crean critics here are 100x more reasonable. His fantasy that Stevens is coming here on a white horse is like actual reality for him. Pretty funny.

As far as Syracuse goes, I find it interesting so many just assume the team wasn't prepared to play the game. Considering that is the job of the coaching staff, I have to assume they didn't just decide to blow that off after a couple wins... Maybe the did. I don't know. Seems unlikely! Seems more likely IU didn't follow the game plan? You really think how IU played is what the staff "drew up?" Gonna have to help me out there.