Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Magnanimous

Indiana won't be Indiana until it wants to be Indiana

I'm completely offended by you saying "and Knight" referencing that it's not hard to achieve more than him.

By age 43 Knight had 2 national Championships, an NIT championship, a Pan Am gold medal and a Olympic Gold Medal.

What is wrong with you? At age 48 Tom Crean has 1 final 4....?

I'm talking about the modern era; when college basketball changed into the AAU monster. When the game passed Knight by. In the last 20 years, Crean is by far the most successful Indiana coach. That's the only point I'm trying to make. Not trying to debate it, it's obvious.

I don't know who would want to replace Crean if the pressure is on that you must win a national title within 2-3 years. Tony Bennett knew better.

Its really more about consistency. When RMK was here, the fanbase knew that for the most part we would be competitive in every game that we played in and have a chance to win at the end of each game. Every 4 to 5 years we were competing for a Nat Ch. because he was able to recruit at least on McD every year. This stuff of sweet 16, and then not even making the NIT would NEVER happen under RMK. I am sure that IU should be able to find a candidate to be able to accomplish this. Just not sure Glass or this admin. are the right people to do the hiring of such a coach. 

"By far" seems a little strong. Mike Davis, while not the best coach in the world, did make a National Title game appearance. That kind of trumps anything Crean has done at IU to this point. 

Just saying, "by far" isn't really accurate. 

I'm talking about the modern era; when college basketball changed into the AAU monster. When the game passed Knight by. In the last 20 years, Crean is by far the most successful Indiana coach. That's the only point I'm trying to make. Not trying to debate it, it's obvious.

Its really more about consistency. When RMK was here, the fanbase knew that for the most part we would be competitive in every game that we played in and have a chance to win at the end of each game. Every 4 to 5 years we were competing for a Nat Ch. because he was able to recruit at least on McD every year. This stuff of sweet 16, and then not even making the NIT would NEVER happen under RMK. I am sure that IU should be able to find a candidate to be able to accomplish this. Just not sure Glass or this admin. are the right people to do the hiring of such a coach.

I get what you are saying I really do. But saying it would "never" happen under Knight is essentially useless. Has nothing to do with the structure of today! I love RMK; there will never be anyone come close to what he did here. But that way no longer works... It's no longer relevant.

I completely agree IU should never miss the tournament. But there were extenuating circumstances for why that happened. It can't happen again.

Indiana needs a more consistent level of play, needs to string together stretches of the schedule... I agree. I'd say we are keeping pace pretty well, probably looking at 12-6. Is that underachieving again?

"By far" seems a little strong. Mike Davis, while not the best coach in the world, did make a National Title game appearance. That kind of trumps anything Crean has done at IU to this point.

True, probably is a bit far. Personally I'll take the outright title and the S16s over one Cinderella run. That two year stretch is the best at IU since 1992. To me that is worth something but I suppose it will be brushed aside so we can discuss Crean's defensive choices with a 6'6" and under team as if those decisions are going to matter.

Made this point last night...he seemed not to consider it relevant. Lol personally I can't say that I think he has done appreciably better than Davis.

True, probably is a bit far. Personally I'll take the outright title and the S16s over one Cinderella run. That two year stretch is the best at IU since 1992. To me that is worth something but I suppose it will be brushed aside so we can discuss Crean's defensive choices with a 6'6" and under team as if those decisions are going to matter.

Did I read this correctly? You'd take an outright title and sweet 16's over a national championship game?

Are you from Indiana? Were you alive when that run happened? The excitement and spirit of that is not comparable to 2 sweet 16's..

The only comparable thing Tom Crean has done close to that is beat #1 Kentcky at home, and for that I thank him.

I am an IU grad B.S. '64--and have been watching IU since the early '50s (including the four NCAA championships since '53). Here's the thing I don't understand?  I read all of this negativity toward Coach Crean on and on every day--I get it that people want to win every game, but HE IS OUR COACH (whether you like it or not)!  Now just suppose he does leave after this season and that causes some of the good players to also leave (Blackmon, Yogi, Johnson, etc). Who does the administration hire?  Will he be able to recruit, win, and satisfy this crazy fan base (almost as rabid and demanding as KY fan base)?  Who knows?  To me, that puts IU right back where we were when they fired Sampson several years ago.  Does it take 5 years to recover or longer? Personally, at my age, I don't want to wait another 5 years to get "back"--I got real tired of those 6-10 win seasons.  So I have to be a  "half-full" type of fan--that's how I've been in my career, as well.  This team is fun to watch, and are still in a position to make the NCAA tournament.  I will support and watch every game and hope we win them all--but we won't.  I take it hard when we lose, but all the whining and complaining won't help one bit or change anything.  Life isn't fair or perfect, neither is IU basketball, or Tom Crean.

Did I read this correctly? You'd take an outright title and sweet 16's over a national championship game?

Are you from Indiana? Were you alive when that run happened? The excitement and spirit of that is not comparable to 2 sweet 16's..

The only comparable thing Tom Crean has done close to that is beat #1 Kentcky at home, and for that I thank him.

I'm saying I'll take the sustained success versus one magical run. I experienced 2002. I also saw the greatest team in history.

It's not close. Obviously a final four is going to trump the other.

But it's funny, Crean can't do anything. There will always be a reason to drag him down. What the hell did he do to you guys other than save your program???

If you want Crean gone, all it boils down to is this....Stop showing up for games and stop watching them on tv. This is the only way its going to happen. We can bi#$% and moan all we want, but the truth is, as long as people keep showing up, he is gonna be there. Glass is too arrogant to admit he made a huge mistake, and too stupid to hire a new coach that is worth anything. Might as well ride this out, its gonna be a bumpy one.  

I'd hardly call two years "sustained success", I'm not saying Davis is better than Crean, but the National Title Game appearance is the best thing to happen to this program in 20 or so years. 

I'm saying I'll take the sustained success versus one magical run. I experienced 2002. I also saw the greatest team in history.

It's not close. Obviously a final four is going to trump the other.

But it's funny, Crean can't do anything. There will always be a reason to drag him down. What the hell did he do to you guys other than save your program???

I'd hardly call two years "sustained success", I'm not saying Davis is better than Crean, but the National Title Game appearance is the best thing to happen to this program in 20 or so years.

By definition, they sustained success. What did Davis do to follow up 2002?

I'm mainly playing devils advocate. If we had beers, I think my point of view would look a lot different than it does on here.

I don't understand why fans think supporting Coach is settling for mediocrity. No one has higher expectations than him!

I get what you are saying I really do. But saying it would "never" happen under Knight is essentially useless. Has nothing to do with the structure of today! I love RMK; there will never be anyone come close to what he did here. But that way no longer works... It's no longer relevant.

I completely agree IU should never miss the tournament. But there were extenuating circumstances for why that happened. It can't happen again.

Indiana needs a more consistent level of play, needs to string together stretches of the schedule... I agree. I'd say we are keeping pace pretty well, probably looking at 12-6. Is that underachieving again?

Just my opinion, but I would say we will be lucky to make the tournament again this year. Maybe the NIT. That D last nt., or lack thereof has to be the worst effort in a long time. I think Wisky shot like 70% for the game. I do agree, that on a given nt. when they are hitting threes that they can upset some teams. Just not sure they can shoot well enough to do it on a consistent basis. I hope I am wrong, I hate only rooting for underdogs in the dance because my team didn't make it.

Just my opinion, but I would say we will be lucky to make the tournament again this year. Maybe the NIT. That D last nt., or lack thereof has to be the worst effort in a long time. I think Wisky shot like 70% for the game. I do agree, that on a given nt. when they are hitting threes that they can upset some teams. Just not sure they can shoot well enough to do it on a consistent basis. I hope I am wrong, I hate only rooting for underdogs in the dance because my team didn't make it.

Wisconsin is the best team in the country besides UK... Why is it so surprising we couldn't stop their bigs? What defense would you have played?

We are not in danger of missing the tourney unless we lose more than once at home. IU has worked ahead...

We need to advance in the tourney to get experience for next years team.

Mike Davis had a conference championship and final game run which is more than Tom Crean in the modern era