Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUHoosier5

Going to Class

Interesting OT tidbit. Talked to friend tonight about recruiting in general and it's fraudulence. He said he was a college hockey player and the school he went to would give him 5-10 "meal tickets" every day and all he had to do was take them to a designated restaurant and they would cash them in. It was the schools way of paying him.

I'm sure this is not too uncommon of a practice.

I know for a fact during the Mike Davis years this was the case. The bball team would hang at out my friends house and his mom would be the one giving them Gift Cards @ $50/piece, often several at a time to each player.

The reason my friend had a connection with the IU team was because his older sister was a close friend of Jared Jeffries from high school, so Jared would always bring the team over to their place (Sterling Woods).

I just wonder why instead of paying a kid to tell on another kid why dont the university just tell the teachers which they r already paying to notify them if said student dont show?

Because the professor should be there to teach those who show up for class to the best of their abilities and to pay no mind to those who do not. When it's time for grading it should work itself out, based on what a kid learned over that time.

I think the idea of having students letting coaches know whether or not the athletes show up to class is a great one. The students don't get paid much, but it's an incentive to go to class. The athletes are held accountable. It's easy to handle an issue if an athlete isn't going to class because there is proof. No harm in what Purdue is doing...

Eric Bledsoe couldn't pass his high school courses, and it has been reported was functionally illiterate. Are you saying that his 3.0 gpa for his year at UK was legit in any way?!?

Of course Cal is thrilled to get a kid like Poythress: a McD's AA who is an excellent student. That is not the litmus test.

The real test is what Cal will do when kids that have NO interest in college academics are McD AAs (Bledsoe, JWall, Noel, James Young, Davis, Jones, to name a few).

Oh, and though they are one and dones, but how many Cal scholly players that he's brought in at UK or Memphis (about nine years worth) have obtained a college degree? That's right...flat out zero. Victor Oladipo has more college degrees than all UK and Memphis Calipari scholly recruits from the past eight years...combined.

Is it potentially within the rules? Yes
Does it make a mockery of the concept of student -athlete. Absolutely.

I can't believe I'm doing this, but Cal and Kentucky just do what everyone else is doing. They just happen to be better at it.

Crean would be thrilled to get all the one and dones that he could get. Almost by definition, these are players who have no real interest in school. They are just there because of the NBA's policy. Crean tries to recruit them. If he does land one, is he going to force the player to take honors classes if the player doesn't want to? I doubt it, not when the player can get by with taking a bunch of easy intro courses for a couple of semesters.

Cal just has more success recruiting those players than anyone else. Maybe that is because UK is better with the cash payments than other schools. I don't really know. When it comes getting an education for student-athletes, they aren't any different than what anyone else would do.

Coaches get paid to win at this level. All they have to do is make sure that players attend class during the fall semester and get at least mediocre grades. It's what they all do.

Now that my first post here in a long time is a defense of Cal and Kentucky, I need a shower. Got to get this slime off me.

Can confirm that some of our boys dont show up to ALL the classes..

Who does? I had classes w/ Vic, will, pritch, etc. and they didn't show up plenty of times. However, I had classes w football players and Coach Wilson made them sit in the first couple of rows in the big lecture classes.

Who does? I had classes w/ Vic, will, pritch, etc. and they didn't show up plenty of times. However, I had classes w football players and Coach Wilson made them sit in the first couple of rows in the big lecture classes.

True. I see the football players in class more often than the basketball players. 

I was lurking for a lot of the discussions. I was honestly just to mad at where things were to even make a comment that I might not regret. The baby sitting comment with the way these guys have acted is pretty much what they need. I will be the first to admit that I am still not on the Crean train, and that I think atleast a couple of the players should have been sent packing. The reputation of the University is first and foremost.

I might be in the minority but I would rather lose the right way then win the wrong way. I have had a very hard time watching this team play this year, and I have not watched them much because of this. I want to be able to enjoy college basktball and IU basketball again. I have made lots of snide comments about Crean more so then the players because they are kids, but this one was directed at the players. That might not be the right thing to do, but they were involved with it also.