Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
HoosierReb01

Gary Andersen to Oregon State

Was the writing on the wall? Bad OSU loss? What gives?

I wonder. I think there is more going on at UW then meets the eye. What's his name left there a couple of years ago and seemed to be pretty upset with the AD. I just doubt that the loss to OSU itself was enough.

I wonder. I think there is more going on at UW then meets the eye. What's his name left there a couple of years ago and seemed to be pretty upset with the AD. I just doubt that the loss to OSU itself was enough.

The AD is Barry Alvarez, so there's always going to be a microscope for the HC at Wisconsin so long as Barry is in that position.

USA Today posted an article recently showing the pay of college assistants. While Gary Andersen was making $2.7 mil, his assistants weren't getting paid as well, which is probably what sent Bret away.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

B1G Assistant's Pay(No Northwestern or Penn St available)

Ohio St - $3,592,025

Michigan - $3,504,323

Mich St - $3,205,702

Iowa - $2,772,186

Minnesota - $2,757,000

Nebraska - $2,709,538

Maryland - $2,588,460

Rutgers - $2,445,200

Wisconsin - $2,368,600

IU - $2,224,500

Illinois - $2,187,825

Purdue - $2,095,000

The 59 - 0 beating obviously made it much more easy for Anderson to tuck his tail and run to OSU. Although OSU had a down year, not sure how much of a honeymoon Anderson will receive. Hard to understand how one of the premiere Big Ten programs loses a coach to a middling PAC-12 program.  

Someone mentioned the assistant coaches pay, not unusual for coaches to fight hard to for additional pay for their assistants, and some times this can lead to not so good relationships with the athletic department administration. I was surprised to see where Wisconsin ranked in regards to assistant coaches pay in the Big Ten. I can see Anderson approaching Alverez about increasing his coaches salaries and Alverez mentioning the 59 - 0 loss. 

The news in WI is reporting that the move had a lot to do with Anderson wanting to get closer to "home".  I am assuming he still has relatives in the upper west.  

Seems like a strange move, but I am sure there are many factors that went into the decision.